• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Great Feeling Of Dextromethorphan and Antidepressant Together?

bookshelf1

Bluelighter
I've talked about my great dxm experience in bluelight before.and it never felt the same when i used dxm again,a lot difference with that feelings.
couple days ago i remembered that i was using antidepressant at that time.i think it is the reason why my dxm experience felt so great and enjoying.i guess my antidepressant was Citalopram or S Citalopram or Quetiapine.
i remember these three were present at that year but i'm not sure which one i used there.
but they both are serotonergic and there is a chance of getting serotonin syndrome.
so i am asking here to see if anyone had dangerous reaction to this combination.
how did you feel if you ever used both of them together?

First I have to say that I might have been pretty lucky not to suffer serious adverse effects.

In my teens I did a lot of DXM while on the SNRI antidepressant venlafaxine and got great effects from low dosages, as little as 75mg gave me a huge mood boost and some comfy intoxication. Higher dosages led to a state of constant panic however (the highest having been 750mg, two days of tachycardia and panic). But the low ones were really good. Good enough to get me seriously hooked on DXM. Dosed 3-4 days per week for a couple of months, then I quit because I had to be sober to get my driving license back (didn't get it back but that's another story). A year or so later I tried DXM again and was disappointed, wasn't on the venlafaxine and tried the same dosages. So you might really be into something here @bookshelf1. It's dangerous territory to explore but can be very rewarding.

I do think that if you did a certain low dosage more often than just once or twice while on an antidepressant then that given dosage will be more or less safe - for you personally and not for anybody else. However, I recently tried some DXM while on fluoxetine in an attempt to regain said antidepressant effects and all I got were some warning signs like feeling hot and yawning frequently. Fluoxetine is a very potent enzyme inhibitor but venlafaxine inhibits 2D6 as well. Don't know why it didn't work anymore.

Hey @bookshelf1

Basically, it's not considered safe to use Dextromethorphan (Robotussin; Nyquil; Delsym) when taking SSRI's. There is a statistical increase in the likelihood of serotoning syndrome occuring. However, you'll find that Serotonin Syndrome is a potential outcome for myriad pharmaceutical combinations. When you're using DXM in high, recreational dosages, the risk is increased.

There is a dearth of information regarding this combination specifically, recreational dosages. What information there is, is dedicated to medically-approved dosages of DXM. This presents us with an extremely vague picture. All we really know for sure is that there is a potential for a negative, dangerous interaction. The problem is that this is all that we know.

You have to go into the experience realizing you're taking a risk. If that risk is okay with you, then just use the lowest dose that gets you off. Serotonin Syndrome is a pretty severe medical event. There will be no denying that something is seriously wrong if you do indeed experience this. If you feel something is not right, call 911 immediately.

If you're not familiar with Never Use Alone. I would definitely check that out and consider using that as a last line of defense. If you experience serotonin syndrome, it's not likely that you will become unconscious like with an Opioid overdose. You should be able to contact emergency services yourself when and if something comes up, but you also have never use alone as an option.

What doses of DXM are you taking? If low it shouldn't be a major concern.
This is also pretty close to one of our record and in a shrine lead to a serotonin syndrome.

That's why now both Negrogesic and I can say in duplicate to

take it fucking easy on this mix because it's not that good of a mix

except in a VERY well taken advice to take a mix such as DXM and antidepressants in moderation.

Antidepressants dont work and DXM either if you're dead.

I really don't want this to be another shrine on this particulart mix

The main and true killers were DXM and Effexor.

Always ask these questions if you can here BEFORE you take those drugs together.

but @bookshelf1 did take a true ask before dying over it. Keep it in your one book shelf too man, I think this guy might like to read.

Me as well.

Wow, didn't know that dxm plus effexor can actually kill. Heavy. It never felt toxic unless I did more than 500mg where I got an norepinephrine overload and thus my body panicked. Somehow I wish I would have died back then, to go with this euphoria would have saved me great suffering (not that I think dying from serotonin syndrome was any fun), Nowadays I can't use DXM any more due to psychotomimetic side effects, and don't have conections for other dissos (importing isn't possible here, rigid customs).

I've talked about my great dxm experience in bluelight before.and it never felt the same when i used dxm again,a lot difference with that feelings.
couple days ago i remembered that i was using antidepressant at that time.i think it is the reason why my dxm experience felt so great and enjoying.i guess my antidepressant was Citalopram or S Citalopram or Quetiapine.
i remember these three were present at that year but i'm not sure which one i used there.
but they both are serotonergic and there is a chance of getting serotonin syndrome.
so i am asking here to see if anyone had dangerous reaction to this combination.
how did you feel if you ever used both of them together?
Usually your not supposed to do dex while on antidepressants but there’s many many different kinds of antidepressants. I just know that I’ve read with my antidepressant It can be bad to mix them. Possibly serotonin syndrome. But I haven’t taken any Dex because of my antidepressant. .