View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Graphic: The 25 States With the Highest Fatal Overdose Rates

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Graphic: The 25 States With the Highest Fatal Overdose Rates

Influence Staff | 9/28/16 said:
Drug overdoses (to be precise, more often combinations of different drugs) are now the top cause of accidental death in the US, killing more people than guns or car crashes. CDC data indicate a 439 percent increase in heroin-related deaths between 1999 and 2014.

The graphic below, by CNN, shows the recorded overdose deaths per capita in the 25 states with the highest rates. Appalachia has been disproportionately affected, with West Virginia topping the list. The data also indicate that it’s getting worse.

http://theinfluence.org/graphic-the-chilling-overdose-rate-in-all-50-states/

"...killing more people than guns or car crashes."

My mind just comes to a stop on this. It's not just through Appalachia but through the Midwest and Rockies as well. Mass. and Colorado comes as a surprise but AFAIK the rest of these states are pretty well-known for widespread lack of opportunities and funding for outreach programs.

I really wonder if NJ would have made the list if it weren't next door to NYC. I can't be the only one who thinks this opiates epidemic sweeping across all of North America is being caused by generational malaise and loss of hope in our hyperconnected, post-9/11 world? I can't tell anymore if the reality I see is just the things I see or the reality we all share but are too afraid to speak openly about.

The words of Tyler Durden keep echoing through my head...

we’re the middle children of history man. no purpose or place. we have no great war. no great depression.our great war is the spiritual war. our great depression is our lives.

No offense to any of our members from those states, but I wonder if the opiate epidemic had started 10 years earlier.... would Trump have lost the election because all his supporters were already dead? It's a fact that the mortality rate for middle-aged white men is increasing, especially from liver disease and drug overdoses, so we just need a little more time before they kill themselves off. Thank god for their unions or medicare or social security or whatever which keeps their diabeetus in check so they can kill themselves with alcohol and pills.

We know how to handle our shit in bmore. Seriously though with all the ODs around here I'm really surprised MD isn't on there. But it maybe could be bc heroin has been here since the 1920s and people use more carefully?? Who knows.

Well the dope capital of America is NJ I'm surprised that god for helping state ain't up there cuz NJ literally does have the top 3 heroin overdoses in the country for such a small state, but then again NJ has much more people then 75% of those states regardless of its size... and Baltimore is a city not a state, Maryland goes in wit opiates but mostly just Baltimore and towns near it...

As a Jersey resident, I too was surprised it wasnt on the list. From what I understand, NJ is the hub state for east coast dope. Perhaps its not being stepped on by lower level sellers, being mixed with with fent or god knows what else.

My mind just comes to a stop on this. It's not just through Appalachia but through the Midwest and Rockies as well. Mass. and Colorado comes as a surprise but AFAIK the rest of these states are pretty well-known for widespread lack of opportunities and funding for outreach programs.

I really wonder if NJ would have made the list if it weren't next door to NYC. I can't be the only one who thinks this opiates epidemic sweeping across all of North America is being caused by generational malaise and loss of hope in our hyperconnected, post-9/11 world? I can't tell anymore if the reality I see is just the things I see or the reality we all share but are too afraid to speak openly about.

The words of Tyler Durden keep echoing through my head...

I tend to agree.

Memorandum: the FDA and DEA received ample warning that a crackdown on Rx narcotic analgesics would result in a disastrous spike in clandestine-diacetylmorphine/heroin consumption and opioid overdoses respectively. Nevertheless, talk of the aforementioned consequences initially fell on deaf ears. And it has taken an enormous number of avoidable deaths throughout the nation for these complacent bureaucrats to acknowledge that they fucked up. 'Sad!' - President Trump

There is a story gaining traction about a dope bust where they got a bunch of stamp bags with Trump on them...Weird tho bc it was in Fla. They looked like reg philly stamps...Didn't know they had that in FL.

Anyway it's no different than the Obama stamps or even the Obama spills lol. Those would be cool to have just for historical uhhh significance...

I wonder if that Trump dope is any good haha

There is a story gaining traction about a dope bust where they got a bunch of stamp bags with Trump on them...Weird tho bc it was in Fla. They looked like reg philly stamps...Didn't know they had that in FL.

Seriously. It's just click bait so every "news outlet" wants to cover it, even though it wasn't even that much in the grand scheme of things. Probably just 1 mid-level supplier that brings bags down from the mid-atlantic.

And I totally agree with thujone on the cause---terrible generational malaise. What's the point anymore? We'll never get out of debt, the American Dream is dead, the 1% is fucking us good, etc etc.

Already had some Donald trump stamps and stamps that just said trump ... plain trumps were good man, only got em once ... the Donald trump stamps were terrible , first time I legit got legit terrible dope in a long time lol

Mass. and Colorado comes as a surprise but AFAIK the rest of these states are pretty well-known for widespread lack of opportunities and funding for outreach programs.

Massachusetts has a pretty decent amount of resources for those who find themselves addicted, especially to opiates, but very strangely, bordering them to the north, New Hampshire has more deaths, more problems, and practically zero resources for rehabs, detoxes, etc. with the exception of expensive private detoxes / rehabs. If you don't have good insurance in NH you're pretty much screwed. I know a TON of people that just travel to Mass. if they need treatment because NH is a joke in that regard.