• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Grapefruit before DXM = More Schizo-like symptoms?

Engage

Bluelighter
Yes or No?

Did a search, found nothing. I am functionally illiterate... so please do not couch your answers in a nest of scientific bafflegab brambles...please.

A simple yes or no and a link shall suffice.

Please.

Thank you.

Edit: Not sure why I cannot paste (working from Nexus 5) but if you Google 'Effect of metabolic blockade psychoactive effects of dextromethorphan' ...you'll get an interesting study.

Last edited:
Any "schizo-like" symptoms produced by DXM should be inseparable from its dissociative effects. All grapefruit juice does is enhance the amount of DXM around (and subsequently to be converted into DXO) by blocking its metabolism to an inactive metabolite first, so it just makes the dose heavier. So my answer would have to be yes.

The study you posted is interesting and probably applies to like diphenhydramine and DXM combinations, but is not related to the effects of grapefruit juice.

I would have to say no.. In regards to what was posted above, I think the grapefruit juice simply raises the dxm to dxo ratio by preventing/slowing the metabolism of dxm into dxo.

This (in theory?) Would lengthen the onset, the peak, and overall experience as well as reducing the "drunkenness" associated with dxm use. (I don't have anything to support this claim however so take it with a grain of salt)

Any scitzo Luke effects are simply a result of how you handle larger doses of dxm regardless of the grapefruit.

In order to slow the metabolism of DXM into DXO, grapefruit juice would have to inhibit CYP2D6. The way it works though is inhibiting CYP3A4, which slows the metabolism of DXM into 3-methoxymorphinan. All it's really doing is increasing the amount of DXM floating around to form DXO with, which will still happen at the normal rate.