• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Grand-Mal Seizure (Amitriptyline, Tramadol, etc)

mysafehome01

Bluelighter
Hi, so I was just wondering if anybody in here could provide me with some info on the subject of seizures.

About a year ago I suffered a Grand-Mal seizure (the worst kind) after taking Amitriptyline 20mg, Tramadol 150mg. (Alcohol night previous, so dehydration was a factor)

This came as a huge shock to me (& of course my family) as I have no history of seizures and with my sort of knowledge on the interactions of drugs and previous recreational use I thought such small doses wouldn't cause such an awful event to happen.

Now, being the addict I am after a few months passed I was back using recreationally (Tramadol, Codeine, Etizest/ Etilaam, Dihydrocodeine)
I have never had any issues since although I have suffered from panic attacks thinking I'm about to go into a fit. (Have never suffered from anxiety related issues before)

When using the likes of Tramadol I never go over 400mg per day now and never more than 100mg at a time. I've never touched Amitriptyline since as it was only the first time of taking it that I had the fit. As for the Opiates I believe the likelihood of a seizure occurring from them I hope is small (Codeine ~ 300mg, Dihydro ~ 240mg)

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody with more knowledge on this subject can shed some more light on this for me. Will I be more susceptible to another seizure now I have had one. Also why after a few years of abuse would such a small dosage cause me to fit?

I know there will be no direct answers to this but any info is gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There is no clear answer man you said it yourself.

There are so many factors that contribute to seizures making it very possible to have seizure on any sort of dose under the right circumstances.

Yes. Once you have had a seizure, especially a generalized tonic-clonic one, the chances of having another greatly increase.

Yes, you do risk getting more seizures. After I got my first seizure from tramadol several more followed. You need to start gathering knowledge about grand mal seizures. Sometimes you can spot signals that are signaling you are about to get a seizure if you don't do anything and sometimes they come out of the blue air.

So, you need to gather knowledge about seizures and how to prevent them. A small dosage of benzodiazepines is good if you take a huge dosage of tramadol, but of cause you cannot always take benzo each time you take tramadol and you need to be aware of the dangers of mixing benzo's and opioids. If possible, get prescribed rectal diazepam so that people seeing you have a seizure can administer it to you.

I had a seizure from which I suffered seizures damages that will cause me problems and pain for the rest of my life. So do not take these seizures lightly. I still take tramadol every now and again. I just know what to do and what not to do when I take it. I know what medications I should not mix. I know to read the signs my body are showing when I am about to have a seizure - that is the few times where I get warnings on beforehand. Most times I don't get any warning. My point is, do not take this lightly. Seizures can result in worse things than just passing out.