"Goths vs. Ravers" Kinda mean, but I couldn't help laughing when I read it.. :)

Ashke

Bluelighter
This is an excerpt from one of those 'online journals' where random exhibitionist-type people spill their guts to the world. Checkit. *P*L*U*R*
~*~ Ashke ~*~
P.S. I am very non-goth. I am the anti-goth. Please do not let the last pic on the Bluelight photo album fool you!
smile.gif
Okay on to goths vs. ravers..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some gothboi wrote this on Friday, March 14, 1997...
"Monster Boy knows a couple of raver kids who work at Little John's. It's a funny story. It seems they (I don't know how many of them there are) are sort of dorky and want to have more friends. They have apparently decided that goths are "cool" and would like to know more of them. This may be a consequence of the fact that ravers are happy all the time, to an extent that is as pathological as the morbid sadness of goths. By hanging out with goths, perhaps ravers can become more firmly grounded in reality. The happiness of ravers, meanwhile, would have a similar effect upon goths, I imagine. But in actuality, ravers and goths are like matter and antimatter. They have similarities, to be sure. They love drum machines, musical samples, taking drugs, dying their hair, assuming temporarily shocking identities, dressing up and making love. And they are both reactions against dominant social trends of the 80s. Still, the world of the raver seems like froth to the "deep" concerns of the goth. A goth will never have any real respect for a raver. The reverse isn't true, though. Ravers are not exclusive like goths since their goal is world unity through decadence. The goths meanwhile strive for isolation from a depressing world they do not understand. They exclude non-goths from the world they create, and their decadence is a sublime waiting room outside the office of Dr. Death."
-- Gus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Checkit. Gus makes cool trippy art:
http://www.spies.com/~gus/art/gus/divide.jpg
[This message has been edited by Ashke (edited 13 December 1999).]

ashke
that's awesome...but i take a little offense to that...i'm not Goth by any means...but i guess i sort of have the goth mentality durng the week...just quiet...bitter...depressed..you know? but rave nights it all just disappears...it's weird
i'm kidding about taking offense...but i'm kind of confused...does that make me a phony raver?? sometimes i wonder.... =/
PLUR
soulfly

Soulfly...
Nonononono! Heh, firstly the kid who WROTE this considers himself gawthik and yet it's the goths his bashes the most in this entry, imo... I dunno, I think the goth look is beautiful, and the poetry and appreciation for darkness and everything... I just have trouble with the aloofness at times since I've come to deeply appreciate people who can pull off random open displays of affection and infectuous cases of cheer and whatnot. But yanno, we all have bitter/depressed/quiet times. I've actually been kinda down myself and me and loupy have been having an email gloomfest back and forth today.. I dunno, I'm a firm believer that nobody who's a whole person is gonna fit into any sorta cookie cutter stereotype... Which means that I'm a firm believer in yer non-phony raver status.
smile.gif

Much luv,
~*~ Ashke ~*~

I think the defining difference would, indeed, be that aloofness that goths have, versus the open-ness ravers have. While ravers have their 'off' days (even if it's kinda regular) they do seem to seek out SOME sort of solace. Whether it be a direct appeal to friends (as can be seen on here occasionally) or something simpler as, oh, a fun toy or something. Goths tend to revel (well, not tend, they do) in their misery however. Kinda what defines the subculture. Which isn't to say they can't enjoy themselves - I know, I've had plenty of gothic friends. They did, however, have a distinct cliquishness about them. Something, while not exactly non-existant in rave-culture, does seem to be a whole lot rarer. (We'll not go into the jungle vs. candy thing here though.
smile.gif
)
Loupy - I had a point somewhere...

well, this is an interest post for me, since i used to consider myself "Goth". of course, i was a fashion goth. purely romantic notion to me. i was never miserable. in fact, i was the happy goth. i was the only one at my school, so i still hung out with the normal people, so it kept me grounded. anyhoo....thats my perspective.
-EckstahsE-
Gothic Raver Extrordinaire

that was kinda funny but i use to be goth like real hard core and i still hang and even roll with alot of my gothic friends so really even goths like to roll two...
------------------
Peace out
much love and lots of huggs
kiddie
PLUR= the way to a better world :)

I was on my way to a rave once and we had to walk pass some goth gathering at a church and when my raver friends and I walked past we got called "teenyboppers". I took no offence, seeing it came from a group of people all wearing the same - even down to their hair colour and their makeup.
We just giggled coz our pills had just kicked in.

Ashke - that was a nice description on ravers/goths - one of my best friends is goth, and sometimes I behave like one...
I play techno, which appeals to both goths and ravers, and sometimes it's nice to see this mix in the crowd.
trying to put a smile on a goth's face is the hardest thing ever...
------------------
rESPRCT
http://listen.to/djvu

Did you ever see that webpage with the Tamagothi? I can't remember the URL, but it was funny...if you fed it too much speed, it turned into a raver
smile.gif

as a goth-turning-raver, i should mention that any TO goths may wanna check out dark rave, which goez down again i think at end of jan (y'all can check out www.djlazarus.com for 411. it's industrial/techno beatz.
i roll better at goth clubz, btw. although admittedly, the happy-luvey stuff don't go over too well.
peace. and, er, death.

Joelle... YES!! I remember that. I fell over laughing at that thing.. hehe, there was a button to feed it speed and a button to feed it smack, and you hadda keep some kinda balance... LOL.
~*~ Ashke ~*~