Got Caught with Fake ID (what can I do?)

M

Meee

So, here's my story. This is in Massachusetts.

I have a fake ID made in Toronto with my name, etc, but it says I'm from Vermont. The actual ID is good but doesn't look like a real Vermont ID (which is why it can be legally sold).

The particular bar that I go to has a bar pass that lets you get in for free if you register for the pass at a certain time of the year. This meant I gave my name, address, etc, to register for the pass.

The people at the door of the bar stopped me and called the manager over. He confiscated my bar pass and told me he wanted to see my ID so that he could report me for having a fake ID. I declined and kept my ID in my wallet and told him I'd leave, he still had my bar pass and told me he was going to report me for having a fake ID.

I'm wondering what they can do about this, since I have my ID in my posession, if they don't actually catch me with it, can they still prosecute me? Should I just deny?

We have to tell you to get rid of the fake ID, because we're not here to help you break the law. Furthermore, if you're walking around carrying the ID, you stand a decent chance of getting caught with it if you live in a small town or the bar people point you out to the cops. (I don't know whether possession of a false ID is a misdemeanor, and if so whether the police have probable cause to search you to find the ID if they don't personally observe you in possession of it and are going only on the report of someone else.)

But as far as you being charged with possession of a false ID if only the bar personnel saw you with it and it was not in your possession when the police eventually confront you, I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

If the police want you to answer questions, tell them you can't speak to them without a lawyer present - and then stick to it. At which point you would have to hire a private defense lawyer (first choice if you had the money) or ask for a public defender.

some bar bouncer douche took it?

in all probability, nothing is going to happen because they threw it in a trashcan and just told you that to get rid of you.

They don't have your fake ID or a copy of it? If that is the situation, it would be difficult to charge you with anything.

^^ this is true.

I wouldn't go back to that bar ever.

They also probably figure it was a fake ID so they don't really know your real name... so your allset...

I know that in RI (which is very close to you) that if you are caught using a fake ID they suspend your drivers liscence for three months. I'm not sure what the law is in MASS. New law, and it sucks.

Just wait until you are of legal age to drink....

Penalties for fake ID use/possession are usually harsh, varying be state. The good news is that bouncers and bars usually do not file police reports.