• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Good weed from bad?

Curiousahhwhat

Greenlighter
Just started smoking and I havent bought it for myself yet but when I do, how can I tell like what is old or cheap or whatever because I don't wanna be ripped off just because I'm new to this

if it has a lot of stems or seeds, is rough to break up and feels like cardboard it's shit weed. The better the quality of weed, the better it will taste. The smell profile is a dead giveaway most times. The higher you get from the same amount, the better the weed. You kind of have to learn over time. Maybe seek out a friend to help you buy for the time being.

old weed will start to get mold spots and bud rot. Look for cob web looking mold, black mold(usually in the center of the buds), powder mildew(looks sort of like thc but isn't shiny and will rub off), or bud rot(yellow and browning spots, the bud will also be very soft and start to crumble)

The best way to tell is bring a good LED light, usually ones on smart phones work pretty good. Try to inspect the bud as closely as possible under the light. It should be glistening from all the crystals and have a nice vibrant plant color to it, like dark green, purple, or light green. Watch out for yellow and brown spots, especially if it is outdoor. Smell is a huge factor too. Make sure you stick your nose in the bag and take a nice fat wiff. Your nose will get better in time. It should smell pretty skunky, maybe a little sweet. Every weed smells different, but if it smells moldy to you make sure you do a closer visual inspection. Maybe crack a nug open if its okay to do so. a lot of times mold will be on the inside.

Also, like Cryptic said, watch out for hella stems or really any seeds. Good bud won't have any seeds. Sometimes you get decent bud that got crossed and still has some seeds- it's not the end of the world but you don't want bud that is 50% seed. If you are really new it might help to look at pictures of bud online from places like the high times cup gallery, that way you have a good idea of what weed should look like visually. Just remember your bud probably won't look as good more than likely, but it should look similar.

if it has a lot of stems or seeds, is rough to break up and feels like cardboard it's shit weed. The better the quality of weed, the better it will taste. The smell profile is a dead giveaway most times. The higher you get from the same amount, the better the weed. You kind of have to learn over time. Maybe seek out a friend to help you buy for the time being.
Please---everything you said is Totally False. Smell, And Taste are all the counts. Looks are a obviously a bigger giveaway but sometimes thats not the case. This answers to complicated for me to answer. I hope youve never actually had weed feel like Cardboard?! That doesn't even make sense to me but O.K. I have had really bomb weed with seeds, but a stem-----my god....thats just being Picky. Seriously.

weed with lots of seeds, trim leaves and orange hairs is usually not good weed. ice-white fluff, light green leaves with minimal stems is usually good stuff.

dryer weed is usually cured fully. try to see if you can easily break the stems in 2.

i prefer dryer weed as it is much easier to break apart. damper weed is usually not as tasty and potent IMO.

the smell is also an indicator. it's hard to describe the smells but if it doesn't have a very pungent smell then it's usually a lower grade.

i've also noticed the darker the colour of the bud the less potent it is. i'm yet to smoke anything dark green and get blasted like the brighter green buds.

Last edited:
Good weed will always have a very potent smell, be sticky to the touch, and will often have pretty dense nugs. Look for visible crystals too as that is a strong indicator that you are about to blast off to another dimension. Once you buy a few sacks you'll start to figure out what to look for. The turning point for me was when I got some top shelf stuff from a dispensary. From then on I knew what I wanted when it came to buying bud.

Please---everything you said is Totally False. Smell, And Taste are all the counts. Looks are a obviously a bigger giveaway but sometimes thats not the case. This answers to complicated for me to answer. I hope youve never actually had weed feel like Cardboard?! That doesn't even make sense to me but O.K. I have had really bomb weed with seeds, but a stem-----my god....thats just being Picky. Seriously.

I'm talking about schwag, which tends to have large amounts of stems that come with it relative to better quality weed. anyway, cardboard weed is just an analogy, a little like a hyperbole. I'm not saying weed with seeds can't be good, but you'll never find medical with more than maybe a couple seeds.

What do you mean smell and taste are all that counts? You don't care about how it breaks, how dense/dry it is out or the way it burns? I think I may just be paying more attention than you.

I tend to find good bud is usually dense with a fair amount of visable kief. It never had seeds. If I do find seeds its either from self polenation or just a freak accident. But they are nice to find 1 so you can grow the stain. If its dense but dark brown in color and has little smell I won't buy it. I have seen bud that looks great but has no smell and it is harsh shit. The latter the dark brown dense buds are probably over ripened fruit and it makes a huge difference.
DON'T BUY BLOCK WEED IT'S TRASH. If you are buying weedv that's compressed just stay away from the shwag. I mean if you like buying a whole joint or blunt to get high be my guest but it had no flavor and its all the same. Plus the high from low grade cannabis makes me quite paranoid compared to good medical grade.