• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Good career pathway largely involving chemistry??

Slash5331

Bluelighter
Hey all.

I'm a 15 year old boy living in New Zealand.
I am looking for a career to follow which preferably involves Chemistry (But I am also interested in IT)
Now I'm not all that advanced with my Chemistry, but for my age group it is something I am good at and enjoy, and believe it is one of my better subjects at school along with ICT.

Some of the things I am interested in are:

Explosives - Yeah, typical teenage boy, but I do find them interesting, Fireworks, IED's, How bombs work and all the rest.
Drugs - That would be how I found this site, I'm interested in drugs such as Methamphetamine, Heroin and Ecstacy, and what is it that makes them addicting, or not.
Computers - More along the hardware side of things at this stage, But in the past I have been interested in programming.
The Human Body in Relation to Sport - I am very interested in this, The different energy systems, Training, VO2 Max, Lactate Tolerance and so on...

I hope this information helps you to help me, haha.
I know there are hundreds of different jobs out there, but I'm just looking for a general direction to head in.

Just go to school for chemistry. Thats what I did then I couldnt graduate now I work at an office. I will return to get my degree since i made it 3 years in a major university as a chemistry major. For now i still practice theory, do some synthesis, and read about it constantly.

I personally wanted to be a synthetic organic chemist for a drug company. I find chemistry to be something that you dont need to limit to schooling or career, its all around us. In the end as long as i get my lab in a shack in my back yard when i get older i dont care if i get a job in chemistry. Its a passion not a means to make money, id love to combine the two but if i cant as long as i can practice why does it matter?

I say just follow it and see how much you can learn.