• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Misc Going on disability with history of SA?

blockbusterparty

Bluelighter
Hello,
Don’t know if this is the correct place to post this but awhile ago I did some research on applying for disability. From why I recall, it looks like anyone with a history of SA, even if they are currently in recovery, has a representative payee appointed to them, as opposed to receiving checks themselves.

does anyone know if this is really true across the board? I mean, I get where they are coming from, but it just seems so unfair. It’s not like they give a lot of money anyway.
Would love clarification on if this is always the case, from someone more in the know. Thanks. 😉

substance abusers aren't identified in any central database and your health records are protected, if you are talking about in the USA anyway. idk about drug felonies and the like, but i've never seen anyone on disability get their money controlled by anyone else, even if they were drug addicts. anyway, unless you like, can't move, its probably not worth applying for disability, it takes years, and is often denied, and the amount is not enough to survive on literally.

Well, to apply to disabillity you have to submit your medical records. And mine include instances of having been on suburbs and attended an addiction treatment program.

I have heard of one instance of someone in the US. With a severe and active addiction getting their mom appointed as their representative payee. Not anyone I l knew personally, someone I read about.

I am quite familiar with the process, how long it takes and how little money you get. I have family members that are encouraging me to apply to disability (not something I want you I do) but I was hoping to find out more about whether I representative payee is virtually always appointmented for someone with a history of substance abuse, as I had read a few years ago.

Well, to apply to disabillity you have to submit your medical records. And mine include instances of having been on suburbs and attended an addiction treatment program.

I have heard of one instance of someone in the US. With a severe and active addiction getting their mom appointed as their representative payee. Not anyone I l knew personally, someone I read about.

I am quite familiar with the process, how long it takes and how little money you get. I have family members that are encouraging me to apply to disability (not something I want you I do) but I was hoping to find out more about whether I representative payee is virtually always appointmented for someone with a history of substance abuse, as I had read a few years ago.
right, well, maybe omit that doctor from your records ? do you tell all your doctors everything?

Well that’s my main doctor. I would have to use him to apply. This sucks...they give so little money anyway. Not sure I’m going to apply but no way so I want a representative payee like I am a child.

If anyone knows for sure whether people who go on SSDI with a history of substance abuse always have to have a representative payeee, I would appreciate your insight. Thanks

Hello,
Don’t know if this is the correct place to post this but awhile ago I did some research on applying for disability. From why I recall, it looks like anyone with a history of SA, even if they are currently in recovery, has a representative payee appointed to them, as opposed to receiving checks themselves.

does anyone know if this is really true across the board? I mean, I get where they are coming from, but it just seems so unfair. It’s not like they give a lot of money anyway.
Would love clarification on if this is always the case, from someone more in the know. Thanks. 😉
I use to go with a girl got it but anytime she needed money she had to call her and send receipt to her. She was allowed so much spending money! She still just hustle and get her crack or H.

In the US there has to be a court order to allow someone else to be the distributor of your funds. Many a US addict get their own direct deposit. Doesn't matter if you have been to rehab, smoke crack on the sidewalk, or shoot heroin in your back yard. YOU either give up your money to a payee willingly ( if you don't think you can control your funds ) or if you have shown that you have SEVERE mental illnesses the court MAY order your funds to go to a trusted individual. If you willingly make a parent your payee be very careful. I hear that they like to stay in control and it can be difficult to get it back in your own name. Either way. Unless you have severe mental illnesses the court rarely intervenes.

If anyone knows for sure whether people who go on SSDI with a history of substance abuse always have to have a representative payeee, I would appreciate your insight. Thanks
I don't know about SSDI but in Ontario Canada ODSP has a tendency to deny everyone. I have 5 things includingg SA and I have to go to tribunal. I know a guy with one arm same thing

I don't know about SSDI but in Ontario Canada ODSP has a tendency to deny everyone. I have 5 things includingg SA and I have to go to tribunal. I know a guy with one arm same thing
That is sad. The US routinely denies most applicants as well but usually win their cases after a second try ( usually with a lawyer that takes half of your back pay ).

In the US there has to be a court order to allow someone else to be the distributor of your funds. Many a US addict get their own direct deposit. Doesn't matter if you have been to rehab, smoke crack on the sidewalk, or shoot heroin in your back yard. YOU either give up your money to a payee willingly ( if you don't think you can control your funds ) or if you have shown that you have SEVERE mental illnesses the court MAY order your funds to go to a trusted individual. If you willingly make a parent your payee be very careful. I hear that they like to stay in control and it can be difficult to get it back in your own name. Either way. Unless you have severe mental illnesses the court rarely intervenes.
This is def true for generally going after one’s funds in a custodianship. I’m not sure if it’s true about the SSI//SSDI income only though. I’ve read that the representative payee can only deal with that and not with the rest of the person’s money.

I had read somewhere that it’s always the case that if you have a history of substance abuse, even like, 20 years ago, and are going on disability, the judge will almost always say your disability money has to go to a representative payee. I haven’t been able to find this info recently. I do know someone who used to work as a disability attorney and I can ask her, particularly if no one here has more info.

I do know people who have struggled with addiction who get their own SSDI. However, the addiction may have developed after they started receiving the money—not sure.