• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Going Cold Turkey from Codeine with Kraton

Panels123

Bluelighter
I'm currently taking 40-45 30mg codeine pills a day and I'm thinking of going cold turkey but with the use of Kratom.

I have plenty of green malay and 5 days off work, so I was hoping that this might be a good time to take the jump and stop all together.

Is my dose low enough - I realise that codeine is a weak opiate - or should I taper more?

I'd be starting low on the kratom, with my first dose being around 2g.

From there I just plan to feel it out and only take it if I'm really craving codeine.

I've taken kratom in the past with no ill effects but would plan to be on it for a maximum of 2 weeks.

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?

It wouldn't hurt to taper more. Codeine technically isn't a "weak opiate", it's morphine, the active metabolite, that you are addicted to. Only in low doses would codeine be considered weak.

In doses of 1200mg+, you're probably dependent on anywhere from 100mg - 160mg of morphine, which is quite a lot. (About 10% of codeine metabolizes to morphine, which accounts for it's effect)

Kratom may not totally cover the withdrawals from this amount, but it will definitely help as long as you have good quality kratom. You may want to taper more first if it doesn't.

It wouldn't hurt to taper more. Codeine technically isn't a "weak opiate", it's morphine, the active metabolite, that you are addicted to. Only in low doses would codeine be considered weak.

In doses of 1200mg+, you're probably dependent on anywhere from 100mg - 160mg of morphine, which is quite a lot. (About 10% of codeine metabolizes to morphine, which accounts for it's effect)

Kratom may not totally cover the withdrawals from this amount, but it will definitely help as long as you have good quality kratom. You may want to taper more first if it doesn't.
I second this and would give the same advice,

I second this and would give the same advice,
Thanks.

There is no doubt that I'm tapering more.

I've done a good bit of reading and I won't consider going cold turkey until I'm taking 20 pills (600mg morphine) at an absolute minimum.

Or is that still too much to go cold turkey?

Thanks - I'm taking your advice and tapering a lot more.

What do you think an acceptable "jump off" point is?

I'm thinking of getting down to 20 pills a day and then going cold turkey but I will taper until whatever is deemed sensible by people who know more than I do.

Thanks - I'm taking your advice and tapering a lot more.

What do you think an acceptable "jump off" point is?

I'm thinking of getting down to 20 pills a day and then going cold turkey but I will taper until whatever is deemed sensible by people who know more than I do.
somewhere in the 0-30mg morphine a day range wont be too terrible to jump of of. I would want to get it down to 10 and go from there.

somewhere in the 0-30mg morphine a day range wont be too terrible to jump of of. I would want to get it down to 10 and go from there.
Thanks a lot.

That's a bit disappointing, just because of the time involved, but I thought around 10 might be the case.

If it means taking longer then so be it. I'll be doing it with a drug I'm familiar with and I've realised I'm at a stage where big cuts aren't causing any discomfort, other than difficulty sleeping, but that's just something I have to accept when I'm withdrawing.

Stopping at 10 pills with kratom on hand doesn't sound too bad to me, so that will be my aim.

Thanks again.