• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Going cash-only in the US

I have been with Wachovia now WellsFargo since 1999 and never had any of the problems you have, Ken.
I have deposited and withdrawn a check in the same transaction at a bank machine with a low balance in the account many times.

^I wonder if theres some kind of setting on yours thats been grandfathered in after all that time. I usually have a 24 hour wait period for checks to clear before I can withdraw the money (using Wells Fargo) unless I go and do it inside.

just had maybe the absolutely worst friday/payday trying to deal with a shitty bank (wells fargo) and my check coming into the store late and sitting there, wondering how i was going to do errands tomorrow when none of my cash was available from a wells fargo drawn check into a wells fargo account because i didn't get it in till after 8 because you know i had to like, work, and shit and like, my job doesn't offer direct deposit and i just want to fucking throw up. banks fucking suck. why do i even bother?

My bank does this BS too, so now I just cash the check, then turn around and deposit the cash.

just had maybe the absolutely worst friday/payday trying to deal with a shitty bank (wells fargo) and my check coming into the store late and sitting there, wondering how i was going to do errands tomorrow when none of my cash was available from a wells fargo drawn check into a wells fargo account because i didn't get it in till after 8 because you know i had to like, work, and shit and like, my job doesn't offer direct deposit and i just want to fucking throw up. banks fucking suck. why do i even bother?

I have a credit card with Wells Fargo, and they are by far the worst people to do business with. If I forget to pay my bill, by the end of the month, they call me (no exaggeration) 10 times a day with different numbers. It hasn't even been 30 days mother fuckers. Jesus fucking Christ.

well i moved my money to a local bank yesterday. they were very nice and are open 7 days a week. you can take that and shove it, wells fargo.

protip: there is no reason they should have your real phone number.

Live and learn. They got my number through the a/c company that installed the new a/c. It was one of those "you need a new a/c, credit?" So, I said "Yes" and only gave my social. Next time, I will tell them to use a different number and hope the company I'm purchasing through doesn't check it. lol

well i moved my money to a local bank yesterday. they were very nice and are open 7 days a week. you can take that and shove it, wells fargo.

Good for you. An ex-bf of mine also had issues with Wells Fargo, so I really don't recommend them to anyone.

A year or so ago I worked at a really high paying shitty waitress job. I would leave at 3AM with 300, 400$ in cash. I loved it. I didn't use a bank at all. One, because it was more beneficial to me, on the tax end, to not have a bank account with my cash tips deposited in, two, I never over spent (charge me 30$ for a 1.00$ overdraft? fuck you! 5$ service fee on my account?! fuck you!), and three, I was always able to save someone's ass at a parking meter (i don't have any cash!), getting on the train (i don't have any cash!) or tipping people who can't take cards (valets, airport bag men, etc). By not using a bank account, I was able to shave 5 or 6 thousand dollars off my W-2s and dodged actually having to pay more income tax. Cash is easier to manipulate than cards, and until drug dealers start taking credit, I doubt cash is going to vanish. MDAO - if you really want to, you can. I still live card free and, yes, it makes some things stupidly complicated, (buying plane tickets, basically) but if you value living off the grid as much as I do, you can do it.

Why I generally don't feel sorry for bartenders and waitress... and never really felt the need to ever go into the "you should tip a lot" arguments.

I have been with Wachovia now WellsFargo since 1999 and never had any of the problems you have, Ken.
I have deposited and withdrawn a check in the same transaction at a bank machine with a low balance in the account many times.

Oh Yeah,
Wachovia was inadvertantly chosen for me by my crappy broker A? Edwards
I guess they just sold me out without my knowledge. Then once Wachovia got
ahold of my ira money all it ever did was lose money--Really pissed me off that
I was not allowed to remove my 3 accounts without paying $100 per account as
a account closing fee Bastards thought I'd just let them screw me over--Not!
I have banked with Wells for many years now. I like the way that every time
I get mad at someone it seems like I never see them again.

I just use cash, I live a middle class life and am college educated..

Never had a credit card, and I don't plan on getting one in my lifetime. Debit card was as far as I'd go.