• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

Gnostic Bishop

Bluelighter
God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quiteancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though heused son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did isrespecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyonecould be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks tohis use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of theguilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckoldJoseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving hisresponsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant tohis children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems thatGod does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, hischildren, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrichthemselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Eventhough scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desirescannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be agood father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or asmore of a deadbeat dad?

Regards
DL

The OT god is a homicidal psychopath who seems to derive great pleasure in testing his worshippers in sick ways (hey, kill your son or else... haha, just kidding!) and killing innocents (such as every firstborn son in Egypt to punish one man). The NT god is not. I consider the OT to be a historical reference and a framework for the status quo which Jesus preached against. I don't think Christians should be quoting the OT to justify anything because Jesus seemed quite opposed to that worldview.

I don't think Christians should be quoting the OT to justify anything because Jesus seemed quite opposed to that worldview.

Who quotes the OT more than Jesus???? Why would Jesus celebrate the passover if He was antithetical to the very God who commands it? (when God destroyed the first born sons of Egypt, which of course was in response to the murder of the Hebrews first born sons, which the Pharoah called for first, lets not forget)

More like the kind of Dad that loves his child very much and wants the best for it, but there is only so much he can do because he works long hours to support his family and maybe gets a little bit drunk sometimes after work. Besides, he is the kind of father that believes kids learn best through their own experience, play, and the occasional lesson learned the hard way. Luckily, Mother is there to fill in the holes in that strategy and provide some nurturing and guidance along the way. The Father's physical support made it all possible to have this sandbox we love to play in, but it is the Mother that offers the emotional support if us kids are expected to grow up as shining reflections of our parents.

'surely God is most Merciful to you'.
 Qur'an, Sura 4

Mercy?

What need do I have of mercy.

I prefer justice to mercy.

If only Yahweh and Allah were called Liberty.

The OT god is a homicidal psychopath who seems to derive great pleasure in testing his worshippers in sick ways (hey, kill your son or else... haha, just kidding!) and killing innocents (such as every firstborn son in Egypt to punish one man). The NT god is not. I consider the OT to be a historical reference and a framework for the status quo which Jesus preached against. I don't think Christians should be quoting the OT to justify anything because Jesus seemed quite opposed to that worldview.

Jesus definitely was but it was in Rome's best interest to invent a Jesus who walked soft yet carried a big Yahweh stick to keep the masses in line. Fearing God/Rome is the first step to wisdom. That type of garbage to dull the minds of the masses and make them think that fear is good. Give to Caesar.

Who quotes the OT more than Jesus???? Why would Jesus celebrate the passover if He was antithetical to the very God who commands it? (when God destroyed the first born sons of Egypt, which of course was in response to the murder of the Hebrews first born sons, which the Pharoah called for first, lets not forget)

God shows clearly that he need little to no reason to kill instead of cure the way a good God would.

You still have not answered us as to why you love and adore such a bloodthirsty prick.

Care to opine yet.

More like the kind of Dad that loves his child very much and wants the best for it, but there is only so much he can do because he works long hours to support his family and maybe gets a little bit drunk sometimes after work. Besides, he is the kind of father that believes kids learn best through their own experience, play, and the occasional lesson learned the hard way. Luckily, Mother is there to fill in the holes in that strategy and provide some nurturing and guidance along the way. The Father's physical support made it all possible to have this sandbox we love to play in, but it is the Mother that offers the emotional support if us kids are expected to grow up as shining reflections of our parents.

We mostly do, as indicated by most old in the demography complaining about the unruliness of their kids, --- While their kids say the same of their kids.

My 4 boys are perfect; Of Course.

Regards
DL

GB, again, when you erect a straw man, I have no choice but to agree with you that the straw man is false.

Why would I defend something that, as proposed, isn't true?