• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

glasseous phosphorus and others

Limpet_Chicken

Bluelighter
Does anybody have any knowledge on grey phosphorus glass? I have been trying to locate information on both synthesis and structure (I am able to obtain red P certainly, white most probably and if not then distillation, again, of the red in a dry setting, condensing white P if needs be on a coldfinger is doable again) of a grey phosphorus allotrope, referred to as a vitreous, glassy allotropic modification but can find little.

Clandestine fora are interested primarily in red P for obvious reasons. I am interested in more than that. Obtaining of a complete set of potential allotropic modifications. Violet, and Hittorf's metallic-violet P allotropes first on the list, black probably last, as its a bastard to do. For the element collection display. Including such things as sulfur, carbon, selenium, tellurium, titanium allotropy, etc. (after carbon, S simply goes crackers for allotropy, plastic sulfur is kinda neat to mess about with, especially considering negligible toxicity profile) but in particular, could do with more background on this grey P stage. The red, black and white, sometimes Schlenck's scarlet (ultrafinely divided and highly reactive red P IIRC) and the two violet modifications are the only ones commonly referenced.

Stable? possible to store (un-accessed, in sealed glass amps under inert gas if needs be)? or is it like red selenium and somewhat unstable, or clear phosphorus after a chromic anhydride in sulfuric boil to wipe out the oxide layer, rapidly reverting to white-looking P.

This enquiry, I wish to add, has NO connection with cooking meth using phosphorus. I know how its done, I could do it or Birch if desired. This, is something other. Chasing up the more unusual allotropic modifications of the element for, well, collector's trophy hunting would be more of a reason than anything to do with cooking meth. I HAVE red, and when I choose to convert it, white phosphorus, Hittorf's modification and Schlenk's when I require PBr3 for other reasons already. Will order extra and precipitate some scarlet P. but again, its hunting down oddballs.

Ordinarily I'd say "no synth discussion", but this is far enough into the academic side of stuff that I will leave it.

Phosphorous chemisty is far enough out of my comfort zone, but wouldn't glassy phosphorous be amorphous, as other "glassy" allotropes of elements tend to be? Usually there's supercooling in there as a step to make amorphous phases, though. May not be the most practical thing to do.