• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Giving up permanently or cutting back significantly?

Bicycle Tripper

Bluelighter
Recently I've noticed more and more that when I'm regularly vaping I'm less focused at work and generally less motivated. I think it doesn't help with depression I have from time to time either.

A few weeks ago I stopped after vaping probably 4/5 nights of the week for the past few years and I think I feel good because of it. I'm not sure whether I should quit altogether though or try and reduce the times I vape to once a month or less.

I'm interested if anyone has gone from this sort of use to very infrequent use and stuck with it, when I've tried before I tend to slip back into regular use which for me isn't sustainable.

Do I need to just give it up? I enjoy my weed!

ive had times in life i stop vaping or consuming weed. Sometimes only for weeks, sometimes months but theres been a few years in between as well but i havent really achieved any more without it either however i do struggle with motivation and depression regardless.
You do you, if you feel like you genuinely want to stop for a bit even then do it

I can't say total abstinence is any better than mindful consumption. Gotta have a treating treat sometimes.

Right now I have a gazillion important, stressful things going on. I have completely quit for the moment. Pot seems to make me more passive for quite a while after use, days and days. Not a big issue normally, being more passive can be good. But right now I need to be more passive aggressive ;) to deal with things.

I do intend for this to not be permanent.

Maybe you just need to take a long break to get life in order. A long break will also make it easier to not slide back into frequent use, at the very least not as quickly.

A long break will also make it easier to not slide back into frequent use, at the very least not as quickly.
I'm hoping that with long enough away from it I'll be able to see really obvious changes that will help me realise the difference between regular use and occasional use.

Problem with weed is that the negative effects that last after use seem to be quite subtle so it's hard to untangle them from other things in my life that could be causing me to be unmotivated or depressed.

Problem with weed is that the negative effects that last after use seem to be quite subtle so it's hard to untangle them from other things in my life that could be causing me to be unmotivated or depressed.
Not a bad way to put it for where you are.
Pot has some pain relief and muscle relaxant effects which last a long time as well, subtle ones, good way to put it.
Subtly reduced anger issues, yadda.
Negative effects as well, right.

So, yeah, sometimes ya gotta be 110%

i pretty much stopped probably 6 months ago, with the occasional use (only been 2 or 3 times since).

it's hard to do the occasional, it's easier to just go completely off of it (imo)... the only reason i can do the occasional is i have exterior motivations (raising kids and not wanting to be a clumsy dumbshit), and i never buy it anymore (i ask my mom for some if i have real bad diarrhea or nausea).

i pretty much stopped probably 6 months ago, with the occasional use (only been 2 or 3 times since).

it's hard to do the occasional, it's easier to just go completely off of it (imo)... the only reason i can do the occasional is i have exterior motivations (raising kids and not wanting to be a clumsy dumbshit), and i never buy it anymore (i ask my mom for some if i have real bad diarrhea or nausea).
I stopped for 20 years to raise my daughter

that's super cool... nothing motivates serious life changes like kids. never knew i had some of this stuff in me lol

it's hard to do the occasional, it's easier to just go completely off of it (imo)...
That's what I'm wondering, perhaps I need to stay off it completely for a while and if I manage that I can have a go at occasional use. If I can't stick to occasional use then that will be my sign that it's time to give up for good.
the only reason i can do the occasional is i have exterior motivations
I've been the same in the past, when I've been on-call for work a lot I have no trouble staying away from the weed but it makes me feel a bit weak for needing something like that. I hope that after a break, knowing the difference between me when I'm regularly blazing and me when I'm not will be enough of a motivation.

well, either way it would be nice to hear back from you (although i often go away from forum life for extended periods, so i might miss it)...

i take it this is a common issue with cannabis.

it's not really serious in terms of withdrawals for anyone i know of, but it's very psychologically... tugsome.

the biggest thing for me is i mostly feel fine when i smoke, and i just fucking LOVE getting high ( + stoned, twisted, smacked, blended, smashed, sideways, and absolutely steamrolled)

Recently I've noticed more and more that when I'm regularly vaping I'm less focused at work and generally less motivated. I think it doesn't help with depression I have from time to time either.

A few weeks ago I stopped after vaping probably 4/5 nights of the week for the past few years and I think I feel good because of it. I'm not sure whether I should quit altogether though or try and reduce the times I vape to once a month or less.

I'm interested if anyone has gone from this sort of use to very infrequent use and stuck with it, when I've tried before I tend to slip back into regular use which for me isn't sustainable.

Do I need to just give it up? I enjoy my weed!

I've stopped completely several times in my life... same with cigarettes and alcohol....

I always come back. It starts super slow, and then I'll have a "fuck it" night that just never ends.

My version of the rubber band effect, I guess, but it's taught me moderation so as to maintain balance at all times instead of letting myself bounce from one extreme to the other.
That said, if quitting feels good then do it. If you're experiencing any anxiety about giving it up, then think of it more as a hiatus. Like you're probably gonna come back, you just don't know when.

That said, if quitting feels good then do it. If you're experiencing any anxiety about giving it up, then think of it more as a hiatus. Like you're probably gonna come back, you just don't know when.
At one time in my life, when I had been using for... well, since I was 15 to some extent, I stopped smoking pot for a while.

Friends asked me if I had quit smoking reefer. I said, "No, I've stopped smoking. I'll smoke again if I really want to."

I stopped for two or so years. Productive times.

Pot ain't so bad. It ain't bad at all. It's likely the least harmful drug out there. However, it is a drug and it does have issues. It's not a vitamin. You need to admit that.

I smoked on weekends for years and years. I did best when I took month or three breaks from even doing that or it would slowly creep up on me. At the time, I had a hard time admitting that it would do that. It didn't make sense, even if you believed that the marijuana metabolite stored in fat cells was significantly psychoactive.

Now we know that such lingering things are mostly caused by downregulation of receptors. That was not known at the time.

I'm in my 60's now and docs are throwing gabapentinoids at me for my many ailments. Eventually l will smoke more, maybe too much. I am weighing that against being a̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ stabilized on a gabapentinoid by a doctor. Harm reduction, risk benefit ratio, and all that.

I'm not sure ... ... Do I need to just give it up? I enjoy my weed!

Typical confusion on the Wall-of-Shame. There are words missing here and there, lets try my home-made reality-filter just to get an idea what else could go wrong besides just putting all the blame on cannabis alone:

#1) Neuro-plasticity;
#2) Contaminants;
#3) Consumption Method & Ritual;
#4) Socio-toxic 3rd-party interference

For example, « do we need to initiate ourselves via alternative ways other than systemic dose abuse? », or « can the old ways learned decades ago be unlearned? »... Absolutely, and there's 3 more to go!

Merry-CAQ.Ca!! ☮️

Typical confusion on the Wall-of-Shame. There are words missing here and there, lets try my home-made reality-filter just to get an idea what else could go wrong besides just putting all the blame on cannabis alone:

#1) Neuro-plasticity;
#2) Contaminants;

For example, « do we need to initiate ourselves via alternative ways other than systemic dose abuse? », or « can the old ways learned decades ago be unlearned? »... Absolutely, and there's 3 more to go!

Merry-CAQ.Ca!! ☮️
Not sure I'm following you, are you suggesting that I'm blaming my lack of focus and motivation on the weed when it might not be related? Of course that's possible and I suspect the weed is only part of it, but it's probably a part far easier to remove from my life than depression.

#1) Neuro-plasticity;
#2) Contaminants;
I'd be interested in hearing more about these.

For anyone interested I'm still off the weed, was quite tempted over Christmas and New Year but managed to resist. Would have preferred staying home and getting turbo-blazed at New Years to be honest, but ended up at a party with drinkers instead. Drank plenty, probably looked stupid and felt pretty shit the next day but no weed!

Salutations Bicycle Tripper,

...suggesting that I'm blaming my lack of focus and motivation on the weed when it might not be related?

Juxtaposition of concepts as "vaping" and slopiness sort of triggered some generic response i guess, maybe i got too pre-emptive. My next reflex was to think of THC « tolerance » and its associated couch-luck, which brings me back to that home-made "reality filter" of mine.

...I suspect the weed is only part of it... I'd be interested in hearing more...

In that case lets proceed with it one item after the next, although these actually interact.

1st of all most people get initiated through systemic dose abuse. For example the 300 mg smoker "joint" i once had transformed into successive 30 mg tokes or so, one format inviting to share and/or wate it between 2 tokes, the other on the contrary multiplying opportunities to let it stand cold where it sits and hence leaving behind an eventual anxiogenic build-up (due to economic stre$$, among other things). The ciragette/"joint" hurries you to finish it while my pipe heals the hand as my mind wanders after appreciating aroma and taste, hopefully. This conditionning learned/acquired practically via society/culture can be substituted with health-wise alternatives proving the 1-Way neuro-plasticity trick is bogus (i'm in the 3rd age)...

Contaminants are everywhere and the most saddening argument i keep hearing these days is about « legal=safer », to which i spontaneously prove it. Lets not hold our breaths anyway, i figured maybe it helps to target the trichome glands based on a transition « Pulse Heating » model avoiding 2nd & 3rd heat reactions (synonymous of denaturation, for starters)... The combination of surface-contact, specific heat mass and energy-to-workload matching seems to promote extraction in a differentiated manner that focusses on what's actually a collection of noble mlecules "filtered" on ne site of genesis on a molecular basis (+ organic crypto-value being added as a free bonus: it's practically impossible to counterfit without raising suspicion under the microscope)! So maybe we can get more than just a wide spectrum release in exchange for a transition from chronic self-poisoning that used to inflate already contaminated statistics, instrumentalized against us by bigot prohibitionni$ts - so that's now a passive political stand as this cuts part of the money paid for over-billed/overt-taxed Mari-CAQ.Ca!

Number 3 was just invoked previously, in short a tool shapes the user's consumption profile. A pen makes you seek opaque clouds thinking that's the best there is to expect, i say more awaits beyond the tolerance barrier; similar to an airplane trying to pass MACH1... As for ritual, i'd refer to mithridatism and argue perhaps the roller-coaster blood concentrations hurt more than bigot prohibitionni$ts want everyone to believe. Which is also about society completely failing to spare youth while perpetually insulting adults, which destoys the poeple's trust in their own Public Institutions and kids in internet in a pocket witness it all, the monster$ posing as « raw models » for fair play and virtue, whatever. Which brings number 4, euh...

Oh well, i,m sure if we work on it long enough plenty of more perspectives shall arise. Lately junk food designed to create dependency made the news on TV. Before that it was Pest Control Products in food - but strangely enough nobody wants to evoke cannabis in fear of destroying the « legal=safer » dogma i suppose - euh... Ah, and just in time for the Christmass season Québekers were tol that our "Z-elite$" allowed importation of compost made of human waste, despite a high level of « eternal » contaminants which our organism doesn't appear well equiped to eliminate, hence raising a most worrying matter of accumulation on the long run.

So...

Live long & prosper!! ☮️