• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

Gift buying tips and tricks

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT

Bluelighter
I thought I'd create a thread where we can post sales, great deals and other tips and tricks for making gift-buying a little easier.

I'll start with a gem I just found that can be used by anyone around the world.

Etsy (the handmade website) has a brilliant feature that allows you to buy for friends based on their facebook profile!
It analyses your selected friends' Likes and gives you a plethora of options for each term they've mentioned.

I used it for my Aunty and it came up with a brilliant list of items to trawl through of all different prices. :)

Over to you guys.

I would suggest to invest in buying people music; but only limited edition releases. Most music CD's depreciate in value over time because most popular releases are re-released, or are not limited. If they are, you won't be able to buy them for that long, and then they will slowly accumulate in value. :)

Amazon has a universal wish list, you can add things to it from nearly any website, as long as they have an option to "add to amazon wish list" or you can download the little button to add things from websites that dont have that option. Its very convenient. It gives you a link to the item and the website, and you can list in order of the priority that you want the things.

It doesnt seem like many people know about it yet, but I think it will catch on. My family uses it, it will certainly make gift buying easier this year.

Good thread idea, btw :)

Last edited:
You can get an I-pod and fill them with music that fits the person you are getting it for....
It adds a personal touch that is Free ;) I noticed people usually like that gift.... Everyone likes music...

If funds don't allow you can always get some other cheaper MP3 player..... matters on your money situation

Amazon has a universal wish list, you can add things to it from nearly any website, as long as they have an option to "add to amazon wish list" or you can download the little button to add things from websites that dont have that option. Its very convenient. It gives you a link to the item and the website, and you can list in order of the priority that you want the things.

It doesnt seem like many people know about it yet, but I think it will catch on. My family uses it, it will certainly make gift buying easier this year.

Good thread idea, btw :)

I was about to post something about how I don't think Amazon has the kind of music I want, then I go and find out that Amazon only has 2 copies of Merzbient left!!! I'm so glad I have mine ordered already.

tips n trick...

dont buy anything, it saves a lot of money, you dont need to be part of the whole consumer whore culture
you can still write something, draw or create lots of stuff out of what you already have, be creative and genuine, give some of your time

tips n trick...

dont buy anything, it saves a lot of money, you dont need to be part of the whole consumer whore culture
you can still write something, draw or create lots of stuff out of what you already have, be creative and genuine, give some of your time

You say that like I'm buying stuff for others... I'm just buying stuff for myself. =D

On a serious note, for Christmas last year, I gave several of my relatives a copy of a story I wrote for English class.

i will never forget last year, i brought my girlfriend a puppy beagle :) only negative is, its gona be that hard to beat.. ill more than likely have to propose to beat it.

i will never forget last year, i brought my girlfriend a puppy beagle :) only negative is, its gona be that hard to beat.. ill more than likely have to propose to beat it.

Aw, sounds like you all had a great Christmas. :D

I think a good present is homemade cookies. I am a good baker, so it's a winner every year :). I pair my gifts with something else, but homemade cookies or chocolates just seem to increase the value exponentially ... :)

Buy in bulk. For example, the 5 for $25 deal on panties at Victorias Secret. Each pair is like $7.50 + on its own. You have 5 gifts, and you save a lot of money :D

^Shit I did this one time for three of my girlfriends, and they got mad at me about the sizes I picked out...

I thought they ran kind of small..... :-/

I like to try and think of an aspect of their personality that lends itself into a nice piece of merchandise.
I find that calanders of things that the person enjoys is a great side present IMO.

Any little thing they might have made a comment on throughout the year that you think would translate into a fun or funny gift.
I like gifts that are charming in their appropriateness to the particular person you are buying them for.
I refuse to buy gift cards to places unless it's to a restaurant. I hate how it's such a profitable thing that stores push all their customers to try and buy. In my opinion a gift card is only appropriate if you really don't know many specifics about the person you are buying a gift for, like a cooworker or something like that, then it's fine, but for family or life-long friends it's not cool.

BUMP - because, ya know, I really haven't started shopping yet...derp.