• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc GHB (or GBL; 1,4-BDO etc). Not your average downer. What do you guys think of it?

purplehaze147

Bluelighter
When I first started using 1,4-butanediol it gave me this loopy, energetic (I get that paradoxical effect from sedatives at recreational dosages), drunk like feeling that was fairly more euphoric compared to most benzodiazepines (I'd still take temazepam over GHB).

The dose-response curve is EXTREMELY steep.

It was pretty problematic since it would cause me to pass of for 30-45 min periods, if I dosed too high. Also, I'd twitch a bit and have a cool looking scar on my nose from jerking my head down into the counter somehow. I scared the hell out of my family because when it knocks you out you twitch and barely arousalable, but you sober up quickly The withdrawal was not as bad as benzodiazepines at all, and I was dosing every 2 hours.

I don't know if I prefer it to GABAA PAM's. It's more of a party drug. It sucks I can't get the same euphoria again even with long breaks.

It worked well with keeping psychedelic trips anxiety free by the way.

Last edited:
I've gone through a few liters of this stuff in my lifetime. When it's good it is decent but when its bad, it is horrible. There is a fairly unique type of nausea it can cause that is particularly unbearable as far as nausea goes. So nauseated that you pretty much want to die. Can also have a weird dysphoria/paradoxical anxiety at times.

I once took 9ml of 1,4-butanediol over the course of an evening (had been taking more during the day as well), ontop of 4g of phenibut and plenty of vodka. Suddenly around 3am shit hit the fan and I became very concerned for my safety. I couldn't feel my lips or teeth (completely numb to pain, enough to perform surgery) and was slipping in and out of consciousness in a very alarming manner. So much so that I wake up my girlfriend and manage to mumble to her what was happening. I told her to watch me while I sat upright trying to maintain consciousness. I'm sitting there drooling, slipping in and out of states of consciousness and then of course I eventually hear her snoring.

I was fine of course but I had to be on a plane later that morning and figured I would not make it on the plane (I wasn't even sure I was going to survive). But by 7am or so I was pretty much fine. Very unpredictable stuff, with a heavy body load and far more toxic than GHB salts.

Very unpredictable stuff, with a heavy body load and far more toxic than GHB salts.
I've come to the conclusion based on online reports that generally 1,4-BDO and GBL should be avoided in favor of GHB. Seems to have a far riskier safety profile, particularly at higher doses and with long-term use.

I've come to the conclusion based on online reports that generally 1,4-BDO and GBL should be avoided in favor of GHB. Seems to have a far riskier safety profile, particularly at higher doses and with long-term use.

Yeah, plus it doesn't really feel much like GHB to me. It feels like a combination of GHB and a few shots of the shittiest bottom shelf vodka you can find.

Crystalline GHB salts feel very different. Faster acting and way more stimulating.

The tricky pharmacokinetics of 1,4-butanediol is what makes it particularly dangerous. For example, you'll take say 2ml and it will take a good hour to kick in. Then an hour after that you'll take another 2ml and boom it kicks in 10 minutes but feels far stronger than a sum total of 4ml. It's all dependent on what mood your alcohol dehydrogenase/aldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes are in, but clearly successive doses are converted far more efficiently and quickly after you get the ball rolling.

It can be decent at times but that last few times I've taken it I've told myself it was the last time. And while I'm not one to really be bothered much by foul tasting things, 1,4-butanediol has a taste that you never get used to. It tastes like something you shouldn't be consuming, what I'd imagine melted plastic would taste like. I bought my first 1000ml bottle of it when I was in high school and I gave a bunch of dropper bottles of it to my friends. You can imagine the kind of things that unfolded when a bunch of 17 year old males are drinking that stuff. I did give decent instructions on how to use it but it difficult stuff to use even for me as an adult. Fortunately no one got hurt or tried to drive on it, etc.

Never abused GHB as i acquired it sporadically. "pharma" or "food" grade NaGHB is quite expensive for my required dosage. For me it has almost no recreational potential and 0 euphoria. Although not directly prosexual for me, the orgasms at dose 5ml+ feel amazing and deep, similiar to weed in intensity but feel different. Either way they're harder to achieve ime.

I've tried pushing the dose up to 6ml and that's where the strange, almost dissociative effects start to take place paired with what feels like brain-damage. There was some body load and aches including in liver area (which i think could be placebo, since if i'm not mistaken you couldn't directly feel liver damage). High was shitty but boy orgasm was spectacular although almost impossible to come.

I think where this drug really shines is as a sleep-aid. It has a short duration of 4hrs which means you can take it in the middle of the night or if you require a super-nap and be on your feet up and ready for the day (unlike lingering benzos), if not then you can continue to sleep which is still deep and good. Although one would assume it's hypnotic because its affects GABA-B, i find it to be better than baclofen. A real gem for insomniacs.

I’ve used vast amounts of both GHB, GBL, and BDO. The easiest one to differentiate out of the 3, is GBl due to its very quick onset and duration. IMO GHB and BDO are pretty indistinguishable. GHB may be a bit smoother overall, but i’ve ran into the same issues using solely GHB as I did with BDO, wherein after a prolonged binged it starts to feel toxic. The real problems arise when one begins to dose around the clock. If kept to once a day, i found that i can avoid dependency and the usual nasty side effects associated with abuse. I make sure to avoid buying large amounts. I actually have 150mls out for delivery today.

I’ve used vast amounts of both GHB, GBL, and BDO. The easiest one to differentiate out of the 3, is GBl due to its very quick onset and duration. IMO GHB and BDO are pretty indistinguishable. GHB may be a bit smoother overall, but i’ve ran into the same issues using solely GHB as I did with BDO, wherein after a prolonged binged it starts to feel toxic. The real problems arise when one begins to dose around the clock. If kept to once a day, i found that i can avoid dependency and the usual nasty side effects associated with abuse. I make sure to avoid buying large amounts. I actually have 150mls out for delivery today.

Really? Did you have crystalline GHB (aka sodium GHB)?

Because BDO and GHB feel quite different to me. BDO definitely feels like GHB, but with something added, like alcohol or something. It also has a much stronger body load, and dosing is more unpredictable.

Crystalline GHB feels way cleaner, with a sharper clearer euphoria. I have less experience with GBL, and have also tried GVL, but I was too benzoed out at that time to recall much.

Perhaps indistinguishable was a bit hyperbolic. BDO and GHB do have some differences, but I feel as if they both are more similar than not. I’ve had copious amounts K-GHB and Na-GHB. I tried the potassium form to avoid large doses of sodium, but it didn’t seem as effective. Furthermore, I’ve found that BDO quality can greatly vary. Some batches have felt much harder on the body than others. When I got a L of BDO one time I went on a rough binge. towards the end it felt like my organs were corroding from the inside out. I make sure to have my liver enzymes checked every 6 months and to my surprise, they were only slightly elevated during the worst of my BDO addiction. GHB/GBL/BDO WDs are some of the most intense WDs there are. Insane delirium tremors, panic attacks, physical/psychological torment, seizuresz Luckily they don’t last as long as benzo WDs.

I suspect that my GHB is really GHB, but the vendor recently "accidentally" sold a 1,4BDO batch.
Would 1,4-BDO have the overwhelmingly salty taste of NaGHB?

I suspect that my GHB is really GHB, but the vendor recently "accidentally" sold a 1,4BDO batch.
Would 1,4-BDO have the overwhelmingly salty taste of NaGHB?
I used to have a solid line of GBL, so I’d use the sandmeyer technique to synth both K-GHB and NA-GHB. I tend to get bloated easily and wanted to compare the different salt formulations anyways. Potassium definitely tasted better, but makes the compound heavier thus not as potent.

With BDO, my quick “quality test” was to stick it in the fridge at its freezing point. It’s obviously not going to indicate how pure the product is, but makes me feel like I at least know BDO is present. furthermore, good quality BDO has a distinct taste and I’ve had different batches of BDO that have go from a liquid to a solid quicker or more effectively and some that tasted much more repulsive than others.

More often than not BDO has this odd sweet plastic like taste, not unlike propylene glycol. It shouldn’t be very salty. Did u try stickin it in the fridge to watch for crystal formation?

My BDO never made it yesterday. All i got was an empty envelope. If one was to scam another, why even bother paying for shipping and mailing it out? Thankfully i got some coming from a verified german guy as back up and should be here by the end of the week. Thankfully my lyrica and soma are showing up today.