Getting off Xanax (UK)

NoSleep1996

Greenlighter
Hello, for the past few months I’ve been taking Xanax to get to sleep at night (2-3mg on average) after quitting weed. Been a long time insomniac but weed used to do the trick but I stopped because it was financially straining me. The other day I went back to stay at my parents house and forgot to bring Xanax and then realised the damage I’d done (psychotic symptoms, paranoia, anxiety, sweating) so have decided I need to get off because the day after not using them I was just a zombie, I wanted to start a taper but my source of them has gone,I have like 5 left.
Does anyone in the UK know what I should do as I know it is rarely prescribed, would a GP even know what to do with me because if I was in work how I felt the other day I’d be screwed as I’m only about 4 months into my 6 month trial and the job is very important to me? Last night I got to sleep on 1.5mg but the internet seems to think my best bet is a 0.5mg taper 2 weeks at a time.
This not a request to be supplied as I know that is banned on here, just on what I should do to get off this shit without jeopardising my career by becoming a zombie.

I would really suggest going to a doctor and being honest about your situation. Hopefully they will be able to help you safely step off of benzos or be able to refer you to someone who can. If you can't do that or don't feel comfortable, I'd suggest finding a longer lasting benzo and switch to that rather than alprazolam. Alprazolam(Xanax) has a very short half life so it leaves your body very quickly sending you into WDs almost immediately after it wears off. Something like Ativan, valium, or klonopin would be favorable. A doctor might be able to give you some antipsychotics as well to help prevent any of the nastier side effects. I've gone into full blown psychosis and have had a seizure coming off of benzos. Please be careful and take care of yourself. I would highly encourage you to at the very least let someone else who is close to you know what is going on and stay in communication with them.

Thanks for your reply, I have made a Drs appt, my only concern is that my GP won’t really understand given Xanax is more of a rarity in the UK. I may even show him your post if he’s confused. Thanks!

Hopefully you can find a doctor that understand the dangers of benzo withdrawal and knows how to safely taper someone off. Good luck, let us know how things go.