• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Getting off suboxone

Bsmithsubguy

Greenlighter
I've been on 1/4 of an 8mg strip of suboxone for roughly 5 1/2 months and the longer I am on it the more I am hating it. feels like it's changing me mentally sometimes but mainly it's the low sex drive thing that's changing my thoughts on keep taking it or not. Anyways my question is...how long would it take me to get off this amount and how much should I take less each time? I take 1/4 2 times a day usually 3-4pm after I wake up (because I work third shift) and then the 2nd 1/4 dose before I leave for work at 9:15pm. Thank you for any advice!!!!

So do you take a 1/4 of a strip a day ? (2 mg a day) or 1/4 Twice a day ? (4 mgs a day)
I've never been addicted to subs I feel like they just don't work for me cause I love slamming h like a bozo.
But I believe taking it for that long really builds up so you gotta taper very very slowly like .25 mg less a week or something I don't know the exact drop rate I'm sure someone can tell you from experience. For now try to drop .25 and see how you feel. You might need to learn how to measure that properly through some liquid method I'm not sure again ask that someone will tell you here I just know the basic idea . Like I said if you don't get an answer though just start off .25 mgs less when you get down to 1 mg start dropping .1 at that point though youlll need precise measurments

It's incredibly difficult to develop tapers for other folks. One can definitely use their experience as a point of reference for somebody, but people's physiological and psychological experiences are going to vary wildly regarding withdrawal from long-acting maintenance drugs like Buprenorphine/Methadone. For some folks, the entire taper is equally brutal and for some, the majority of the pain comes when the last of the Opioid leaves the body, say, you're last .125mg Buprenorphine or your last 5mg Methadone.

If you'd like, send me a private message. I'm very experienced in Opioid withdrawal. I've been in both Buprenorphine and Methadone maintenance and have gotten as close to success regarding taper and cessation as one can get. It's a long process and it can be helpful just to have people to talk to throughout. Case in point, I suppose, is that maintenance withdrawal is much more of a "how do I live day to day" than a "how am I going to live through these 72 hours?" sort of thing. You will need to go to work, take care of yourself and do your day to day, all while not feeling "quite right".

At any rate, we hope to hear of your progress. Do you have a prescribing Doctor who'd be willing to write Gabapentin/Clonidine or a similar cocktail? Do you use Cannabis?

Wow I didn't think I'd get such a response...awesome! I do not have a prescribing doctor and I enjoy smoking cannabis just haven't for a long time maybe 6 months mainly because I was trying to get a job which I got the job but just haven't gotten around to smoking also because it's not my "thing". I have also heard the end of the taper is the hardest part. I was down to 1/4 of a 1/4 8 mg strip..but then I came across some money and just bought more subs then. I have to work on my will power. Anyways what i was doing was every 7 days cutting a quarter of the 1/4 of an 8 mg strip. Didnt really feel any withdrawl guess the taper was going good. Iy was just when I came across some money that had me up the dose again which I regret doing A LOT. I have read Lot about how you shouldn't be on suboxone for more than a detox from opiates but I have also met plenty of folks that have been on it for a substantial amount of time but they are having a hell of a time getting off it too mainly cause their dose is way past nine. But don't get it twisted I can feel great off a 1/4 of an 8 MG strip. I am just at the point with this whole thing I'm tired of relying on something..or if I don't have the money for it having to find it..its just an extra expense that needs to go. Thank you for any words they are greatly appreciated!!

But yes technically i have been taking a total of 4 mg a day just split up in two so 2 mg at a clip twice a day.

Oh I feel you guy. We and the public at-large tend to forget about the time investment required in obtaining drugs. It's not like you get cash and the drugs appear in your lap. In addition to the constant fear of sickness, you also must worry about the potential of a drought, guy gets popped and so on. It's not the preferable way to live.

So, are you taking the Buprenorphine sublingually? The bioavailability, as I'm sure you're aware, varies quite a bit from route to route. I have recommendations, but it's going to involve either going to a prescriber or obtaining drugs on the street that would be considered rather obscure.

My godsend for the process of maintenance withdrawal are the Gabapentinoids. The Gabapentinoids are a relatively new class of drugs and I don't mean to speak in grandiose terms, but I feel that they are the future of Opioid withdrawal treatment. This class of drugs include its namesake, Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Phenibut, among other analogs that are currently in development. For a large segment of the population, they seem to mitigate some of the most severe symptoms of withdrawal, including the dreaded Restless Legs Syndrome/Akathisia.

Gabapentin is your best bet. Pregabalin is a controlled substance and harder to obtain, while Phenibut is easily bought online, it's the least potent/effective member of the blass. Gabapentin tends to be prescribed liberally. You are going to need to be guided on how to properly use the medication, as it is truly tricky to get the most out of it. Send me a private message if you'd like to discuss it further. Gabapentin is going to be what makes your life tolerable throughout this process. There are also psychological effects from the medication that can help produce some artificial ambition and motivation throughout this process.

Now, Clonidine (Catapres) is also a very useful medication, but pales in comparison to the efficacy of Gabapentin. It will simply reduce blood pressure, thusly, making you feel a little more calm and less "rattly". It can also be the difference between getting to sleep and being awake all night. It will make you feel better, but it's not silver bullet. Unlike Gabapentin, Clonidine is, in essense, not psychoactive. The physical calming effect that it has can definitely reduce anxiety as a secondary symptom though.

The Cannabis should be an obvious one. It can, at times, be pretty hard to eat while you're sick. It can be hard to even take in fluids. Smoking a little bud can stimulate your appetite to the point where maybe you can hold down some crackers and ginger ale. It goes without saying that the right straing will also provide you with some anxiolytic/antidepressant effects.

Don't worry guy. We've got your back and we'll help you get through it. Again, if you need help with "bedside manner", finding a doctor, obtaining the proper prescriptions (legally), talk to me. It's only a month, basically. There will be some lingering bullshit, of course, but the first month is the true gauntlet that you must run. You can do it. I did it and I am a fiend of the highest order. Good luck my friend and we look forward to hearing of your success!

Well....here goes....
Please forgive me in advance if I am misguided in my usage of the site as this is my first post. I have done some research in topic and posting but again...I know there is likely a more appropriate place for this post but Im a bit frazzled from Suboxone withdrawls. I have been on sublingual Suboxone for 10 weeks - was on 8mg ( 4mg twice a day) for 6 weeks and then to 12mg (4mg three times a day). A few days ago I took began some travel for the next 2 weeks. I am new with my Sub doctor and also have new health insurance. My insurance would not fill the prescription for two weeks supply as they say I have reached a plan limit for a particular amount of time. ....anyway, bottom line is that I became very frustrated with the process and made a decision to just bail from the Sub and use my remaining Percocet 7.5mg tabs. I waited about 72 hours and have been experiencing brutal withdrawls (for me anyway). Last night I took 3 percs (22.5mg total oxy i guess). I did not feel much nor did I get much relief from the withdrawls. I was planning to keep on the Percocet for a few days (prob no more than 30mg total per day) and then go back to Suboxone as I will be able to return home and refill my prescription.... I know this has reverse complications with possible precipitated withdrawls and maybe is not a good idea. Question 1 - do/did I need to wait longer before starting on the Percocet? Question 2 - now that I have started and felt nothing, should I not take anything for a little longer (providing I am able) in order to get an results from the Percocet the next time I do or am I now another day clear of the Suboxone and will have better results from the percocet today..?
Any other advice appreciated!