• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Getting high on heroin while on methadone

Greenlighter
Hi I'm still on heroin but I'm going to hop on methadone cause I don't have enough money to support my habit anymore.

What does should I stay at so I can still get high on smack.

30mg

Depends upon the size of your habit really. 30mg may be able to sustain you and allow you to feel the effects of smack for a while, but it won't last. The more you use heroin on top of methadone, the more your tolerance will increase, resulting in higher doses of methadone in order to stay stable and higher doses of heroin to get high. Eventually, you'll find yourself spending just as much (if not more) money on heroin on top of an ever increasing methadone habit.

Once you realise the futility of the situation, you'll have a hell of a habit to kick.

Methadone should only be used to wean yourself off. Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind...

I think they say like 60-80mg is sort of the approximate cutoff for getting high on usual amounts of heroin but the more you do the less you'll feel it, even taking 10mg of methadone everyday is gonna reduce the kick from ur first heroin dose every day

Try to swith from methadone to buprenorphine. It's cheaper (depends on country - i live in central Europe), it's much better for being functional all day long and withdrawal is not as harsh as methadone withdrawal.

Hi I'm still on heroin but I'm going to hop on methadone cause I don't have enough money to support my habit anymore.

30mg
Seen Trainspotting? There's your answer

This is mostly my opinion so please dont jump on me if you guys disagree. I feel that being on Methadone at all severely blunts the euphoria of other Opioids.

It has always been my opinion that MMT patients who still use other Opioids are demonstrating the potential extent of psychological addiction.

The high is just not as good. It is not there. Unfortunately, the dope still costs money and still causes all of the same problems. So, you now are on a Methadone program and further dependent upon other drugs. The rituals involved in acquiring and using the dope have major, major psychological implications.

I would choose one or the other and more or less commit to it. If you continue to use Heroin while on MMT it will only lead you into bullshit.

They give states guidelines like bla, bla bla blocking starts and bla bla bla, but I really think the blocking effect is linear and Merhadone is no different than any other Opioid agonist i.e. it contributes to tolerance to all Opioids.

30mg

Honestly.... I've found this to be kinda inconsistent. It seems to depend on your habit, how recently you've taken heroin, how recently you've taken methadone, and your existing tolerance.

In my experience, and what I have observed from others. Unless your tolerance is quite low I don't expect 30mg will prevent you getting high on heroin. But there's no way to know in advance.

Higher methadone doses probably will block the heroin, but it seems to be a temporary effect. Over time your body gets more tolerant to the methadone. In my experience methadone and heroin seem to exhibit incomplete cross tolerance. As in, while each can suppress withdrawal from dependence on the other, if you switch to methadone exclusively for a period of time, heroin gets stronger than it would otherwise be, and vice versa. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to compare them.

There are risks involved in doing this I feel I should mention. If your tolerance is low, taking methadone and heroin together can be dangerous. Then again so can taking either in isolation.

I dunno, you know your tolerance better than I do.

Also it depends on your location, but you might encounter issues with drug testing if you take heroin with methadone. Many clinics regularly drug test their patients, and how they'll respond to positive results probably varies. Although personally I've found them reluctant to force people off the program for any reason other than being abusive to staff, which is fair enough.

I see some people here have recommended subuxone over methadone, i think it depends on your tolerance and your goals which is better. I chose methadone cause my tolerance was very high.

But if you wanna keep getting high on heroin, while I've never been on subuxone, my understanding is it blocks it much more than methadone does.

Last edited:
In the done Vs bupe discussion a thing to consider: can u stand that lemony windex taste of bupe compared to the quite easy to drink taste of done? I can't and therefore done would be my only option for maintenance.

In the done Vs bupe discussion a thing to consider: can u stand that lemony windex taste of bupe compared to the quite easy to drink taste of done? I can't and therefore done would be my only option for maintenance.

I think it depends on the methadone brand. :D

The ones that just taste bitter are fine IMO, but ironically the ones that try to disguise the taste seem so much worse. I don't even know how to describe it.

I've never taken any form of bupe though.

I believe brand name subs is made with real lemon flavor or something so its better, but if this guy is trying to get high on top of his methadone, suboxone definitely isn't what he wants

I might try just going on for a week seeing how it goes then hop back on the gear for a week and switch between them

I believe brand name subs is made with real lemon flavor or something so its better, but if this guy is trying to get high on top of his methadone, suboxone definitely isn't what he wants
Why ? As i mentioned before, buprenorphine is much better if you want to keep your shit together (work, hobbies, family, friends) than methadone and methadone WD is worse that buprenorphine WD

This guy isnt trying to not use heroin, he wants to use it he just wants the methadone to hold him as he cant afford all heroin at his tolerance, its also unlikely that a methadone clinic will be okay with you being on for a week then off for a week though its possible I guess. TBH methadone sucks, being on an opiate 24/7 is gonna wreck ur brain more than heroin daily because at least you'll wake up a bit sick with heroin, on methadone you are high 24/7 and it makes eventually detoxing at a minimum twice as hard, not to mention you stop feeling the high when it becomes a 24/7 thing.

Methadone is good if you are stealing shit to support your habit and you want to live normally but as far as tolerance and dependency its a total bitch. One way in which you can still sort of get high is to get on a dose of methadone that does not fully cover you, and then top up with heroin when you really wanna feel something.

I actually remember the first time I tried to taper the doc thought I was doing it just to get high on dope and told me it was a somewhat common thing. Problem is you will likely just fill the gap with heroin as much as you can afford, once tolerance rises again its so easy to just bump up the methadone that if chasing a high itll be in the hundred mg range and beyond in no time. I went to a detox once (cold turkey kind of place) and they refused to take me off methadone because they said everyone they most people who cold turkey of methadone ended up in the emergency room, they didn't have a problem with cold turkeying off fentanyl though...

This guy isnt trying to not use heroin, he wants to use it he just wants the methadone to hold him as he cant afford all heroin at his tolerance, its also unlikely that a methadone clinic will be okay with you being on for a week then off for a week though its possible I guess. TBH methadone sucks, being on an opiate 24/7 is gonna wreck ur brain more than heroin daily because at least you'll wake up a bit sick with heroin, on methadone you are high 24/7 and it makes eventually detoxing at a minimum twice as hard, not to mention you stop feeling the high when it becomes a 24/7 thing.

Methadone is good if you are stealing shit to support your habit and you want to live normally but as far as tolerance and dependency its a total bitch. One way in which you can still sort of get high is to get on a dose of methadone that does not fully cover you, and then top up with heroin when you really wanna feel something.

I actually remember the first time I tried to taper the doc thought I was doing it just to get high on dope and told me it was a somewhat common thing. Problem is you will likely just fill the gap with heroin as much as you can afford, once tolerance rises again its so easy to just bump up the methadone that if chasing a high itll be in the hundred mg range and beyond in no time. I went to a detox once (cold turkey kind of place) and they refused to take me off methadone because they said everyone they most people who cold turkey of methadone ended up in the emergency room, they didn't have a problem with cold turkeying off fentanyl though...

There are two possible ways to do what the original poster is suggesting on methadone.

If they allow it on his program, and if he adheres to it and shows stability, eventually they'll give him takeaways, and he could take heroin on the days he has takeaways for. I've known people who did that.

Second possibility, which I don't recommend,is what I used to do. Simply skip every other day of methadone.

They won't give you takeaways, even if they otherwise allow them. And they won't likely let you increase your dose much beyond the starting dose of 30-40mg.

I did this for various reasons, mainly because the starting dose didn't hold me, so I went to get heroin. Heroin costs money, and the shit I had to do to make money cost time, which often caused me to miss my dose.

They hated it, but did nothing to stop me.

I can't say I really recommend either of these options, but they are possible ways to keep using heroin while having methadone to avoid withdrawal.

Fair warning though, doing this still left me in withdrawal on many occasions. It was less frequent, but it still happened.

People aren't wrong though when they say that, if you get a serious habit, and get on methadone, you might well find yourself on it for life.

I knew that when I started it, but I didn't feel I had any other option. My tolerance seemed too high for bupes ceiling dose. I was entirely unwilling to go through withdrawal. I knew I'd just keep living how I was living until I was dead or in jail.

Methadone gave me a third option and I've never regretted taking it. But it didn't work until I was committed to getting off heroin, and it didn't work until I found a doctor that let me increase my dose fast enough to not need to score heroin to stay well.

I think you gotta consider what you see your future being. If you're thinking about it at all.

Cause if you're like me, this probably won't work out. You'll probably just wind up doing increasingly worse shit to afford heroin, until you reach a point where it controls every waking moment of your life.

I dunno, I'm not you, you're not me, not every addict is the same and not every heroin addiction is the same. But they are often similar.

Last edited:
There are two possible ways to do what the original poster is suggesting on methadone.

If they allow it on his program, and if he adheres to it and shows stability, eventually they'll give him takeaways, and he could take heroin on the days he has takeaways for. I've known people who did that.

Second possibility, which I don't recommend,is what I used to do. Simply skip every other day of methadone.

They won't give you takeaways, even if they otherwise allow them. And they won't likely let you increase your dose much beyond the starting dose of 30-40mg.

I did this for various reasons, mainly because the starting dose didn't hold me, so I went to get heroin. Heroin costs money, and the shit I had to do to make money cost time, which often caused me to miss my dose.

They hated it, but did nothing to stop me.

I can't say I really recommend either of these options, but they are possible ways to keep using heroin while having methadone to avoid withdrawal.

Fair warning though, doing this still left me in withdrawal on many occasions. It was less frequent, but it still happened.

People aren't wrong though when they say that, if you get a serious habit, and get on methadone, you might well find yourself on it for life.

I knew that when I started it, but I didn't feel I had any other option. My tolerance seemed too high for bupes ceiling dose. I was entirely unwilling to go through withdrawal. I knew I'd just keep living how I was living until I was dead or in jail.

Methadone gave me a third option and I've never regretted taking it. But it didn't work until I was committed to getting off heroin, and it didn't work until I found a doctor that let me increase my dose fast enough to not need to score heroin to stay well.

I think you gotta consider what you see your future being. If you're thinking about it at all.

Cause if you're like me, this probably won't work out. You'll probably just wind up doing increasingly worse shit to afford heroin, until you reach a point where it controls every waking moment of your life.

I dunno, I'm not you, you're not me, not every addict is the same and not every heroin addiction is the same. But they are often similar.
I ended up on both at the same time. Long story. Anyways I was able to get off of heroin for a couple weeks and now I'm using heroin again for only 4 or 5 days to get off of methadone. I'm on day 4 without methadone. I felt really bad this morning before I used. Im wondering if there is a third opiate that anyone could recommend to help me get through withdrawals without getting hooked on something else. I will only use it for 3 or 4 days. I was thinking about percosets if I can find them. I can guaranteed get heroin or coke. Also if I trade another opiate will it continue my withdrawals or help me? Like with methadone, it helped but I could still slightly feel the withdrawals through the dose. Anyways I'm sorry for the long paragraph, if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you - Robert

I ended up on both at the same time. Long story. Anyways I was able to get off of heroin for a couple weeks and now I'm using heroin again for only 4 or 5 days to get off of methadone. I'm on day 4 without methadone. I felt really bad this morning before I used. Im wondering if there is a third opiate that anyone could recommend to help me get through withdrawals without getting hooked on something else. I will only use it for 3 or 4 days. I was thinking about percosets if I can find them. I can guaranteed get heroin or coke. Also if I trade another opiate will it continue my withdrawals or help me? Like with methadone, it helped but I could still slightly feel the withdrawals through the dose. Anyways I'm sorry for the long paragraph, if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you - Robert

If you could feel some withdrawal through your dose it's highly likely you weren't on a high enough dose.

Honestly, I don't hold out a lot of hope for what you're trying to do. I think there is a very real chance you'll end up just using a different opioid.

I mean I can't promise that, there's always exceptions, it's just that unless you taper really slow, and I mean crazy slow. You'll still have some withdrawal.