Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Getting back on the horse after a HORRIFIC trip

morties

Greenlighter
Hi,

First post and all. I'm 40 and have had a long history of drug use include psychedelics. I stared using drugs when I was 16 and first used LSD and shrooms at that age. This was before the internet and my circle of friends like most i'd guess just did it for the lols. Spirituality was not even a word I knew of. As the years when on other drugs took over. MDMA and Coke to name a few. LSD was just not my thing for many a year.

I got pretty bad with drugs and alcohol over the years and about a year ago I started to read up on psychedelics for healing properties. Anyway I started using shrooms and LSD trying to maybe work a few things out in my head about life and stuff. LSD never really done it for me but I had a few amazing shroom trips, the first at 2.5g being the best trip I've ever had. At this point I must confess in some circles I might be what you might call an alcoholic. I certainly abuse the stuff along with benzos. This 2.5g shroom trip really showed me that I was fucking up and to sort of get my shit together. Further shroom trips were more of a head fuck with those mind loops you get and not much introspective.

I decided to go with LSD as I'm told its more clear headed. Anyway my trip weren't all that. Maybe my doses where to low or the residual benzos in my system where taking the edge of. My highest dose I'd say looking back was around 150/200mic.

Anyway 2 weeks ago I decide to up it to 300mic as I was hearing a lot about LSD really starts its magic at higher doses. Set and setting where ok. In hindsight the set might have been better but we've all got life experiences we just can't forget about and I thought things were ok for the most part.

What was to follow was a trip to hell that words cannot even begin to explain. Now I know some people say there's no such thing as a bad trip. I'd just like to say that if you had been there with me you would change your tune right and quick. The trip came on really really quick. In hindsight I wasn't ready for the intensity of it and spiraled into a full blown panic attack and then what can only be descried as being pulled into the depths of hell.

The best was I can explain it was an intense feeling of a horrific mind loop where i had lost touch with reality and there was no way out. I was hanging on for dear life absolutely sweating buckets seeing things that no person should ever be put through. I would have took death in a heart beat to get out of this total horror.

About 2-3 hours in I got a small window back to reality and turned on my tablet and I think it was tripsit I got onto. It said if your reading this your having a bad trip and its the drugs. What got me out was trying with all my night to focus on keeping touch with reality and what was real. I opened up all the windows in my flat, Turned on all the TVs to normal run of the mill TV shows and walked none stop focusing on certain things out side of the flat on the balcony. I hear people saying don't fight a bad trip but I honestly think this is where I went wrong in going with it as it only took me deeper into the depths of hell. If I had only kept my eyes open and moved around but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Even although I was still only 4 hours into the trip I was that beat that it felt like it was over. I have never cried so much since I was a child. Tears of pure fear. I was also shaking like a leaf with terror. In the mids of it like you do I begged everything that is good to get me thought this and I swear I'll never touch another psych as long as I live.

Well here I am thinking about tripping again. I sound mad but I truly fell like life just seems more colorful after a trip. I've heard people say you need to inter-great a trip but I truly don't know what this means unless it happens subconsciously. It really didn't tell me anything unlike shrooms .

I'm thinking of trying 100mic maybe in 2-3 weeks to test the waters and would appreciate any replies from anyone who has experienced similar.. I could go into greater detail but I'm sure you get the drift. What I will say is I think I'm more ready if this sort of shit ever happens to me again.

Cheers.

As an addict you should be weary of your intentions when tripping. You could have great spiritual and healing intentions but be abusing them as an escape from reality. When people do this they tend to get their ass kicked mentally and it tends to teach them to treat psychedelics with respect. Sometimes a bad trip with long lasting, negative mental effects can be indicative of some underlying mental illness.

Learn mindfulness, be self aware and honest with yourself. Testibg the waters with a low dose as opposed to going all in is a good idea, just ensure to be honest with yourself and how things are affecting you and you will be alright.

IMHO, it's all dose. It took me a long time to realize that my bad experiences were a direct result of my own negligence, that is, all I really needed to do was take half the amount I was contemplating, and see how that went. Go slow. With much smaller doses, you'll recover your confidence in no time. However, mind purity; if at all unsure, better not to take any chance.

I agree with Mr Peabody, look at the situation you're in, when you can afford to let go completely dose accordingly, when you're in a social setting that demands some control make sure you still are in a state where you can take that control.
Set, setting, it took me a long time and a very bad trip to understand their importance, now my ego is not in control anymore, my common sense tells me how much is enough.

Be very careful, certain patterns imprint in your psyche after negative trips that get awoken when you trip again. After a massively nightmarish trip to the hospital where I had my soul ripped out my ass I couldn't take drugs for a long time or I risked delving back into the bottomless pit of chaos.

Easy to say in hindsight, but
"Stanislav Grof suggested that painful and difficult experiences during a trip [including] experiences of imprisonment, eschatological terror, or suffering far beyond anything imaginable in a normal state, if seen through to conclusion, often resolve into emotional, intellectual and spiritual breakthroughs. From this perspective, interrupting a bad trip, while initially seen as beneficial, can trap the tripper in unresolved psychological states."

But I don't blame you. Bad trips suck. I pretty much only take low doses of light-hearted psychedelics nowadays because of them.