• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Getting an opioid prescription for abdominal and knee pain?

abidewiththetide

Greenlighter
Hey y'all, long-time lurker so this is my first post. Anyway, I have a torn ACL and meniscus and I have been suffering from fairly consistent stomach pain and diarrhea. I recently went to the doctor for the latter and he gave me 20 Hyoscyamine Sub .125mg. Well I have already gone through about half of the bottle and it doesn't really do THAT much for my stomach. Also, I have to wait until December to have surgery on my knee and I have been taking Naproxen daily. Is there any chance that I could just get an opioid prescription that could help with both? And wouldn't the somewhat constipating effects of the opioids help with the diarrhea? Thanks!

Welcome to BL! The answers are yes and yes-you could get prescribed an opioid/opiate for the pain but it's up to your provider and whether or not they feel it is warranted in your case. Abdominal pain can have many causes though and if the diagnosis has not yet been determined the doctor may be reluctant to give you something for the time being. For example if it's liver issues then medicine that taxes the liver is counterproductive. And yes opioids/opiates can be constipating because of the excess fluid they extract from your GI tract. Again though there are some conditions that supercede tha side effect. Keep following up with your doctor and my advice is to contact them sooner if the medications just are not providing any relief.