• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Geology Major - considering a Geomatics & Spatial Analysis minor

Prismatic

Greenlighter
I have recently switched into an Honours B.Sc. in Geology. I would like to get a second opinion on the potential applicability of studying Geomatics & Spatial Analysis in conjunction with a Geology specialization.

I was previously enrolled in a chemistry degree so a great deal of my courses transfer to my new geology specialization. I have every required first year course except for "Introduction to Earth Materials". This has created a bottleneck in my course progression, figuratively speaking. I have room to fit another major into my degree. My tentative plan is to get a joint honours degree with a specialization in Geology and a major in Geomatics & Spatial Analysis.

I've heard that GIS are applied in a variety of industries involving geology and that many geologists are expected to know how to use the software. Would learning about GIS be worthwhile for a geologist? Would a Geomatics major make me seem unfocused? Should I just go for a minor in the subject instead?

I would greatly appreciate advice regarding this prospect.

I know someone who majored in anthropology (a pretty much worthless major) but got certified in GIS at the same time; she's had any trouble finding work since. Though I can't comment on geomatics, if there is any way you can get a working knowledge / skill in GIS, you won't regret it.