• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Genetics and schizophrenia

Tyrielle

Bluelighter
Hey guys just wondering since my cousin has developed schizophrenia from weed does that mean i am also more prone to a mental illness of any kind including schizophrenia from substance abuse?
I don't smoke much weed but drink alco regularly and meth or pills every couple weeks. Haven't had any 'psychotic episodes' but can get a bit paranoid after a bender.
I Appreciate any insight fellas

How do you know it was from smoking weed? And is it diagnosed properly or is it just something he said?

It's rather funny how you do meth but are worried about weed making you lose your shit.

I don't think there is any evidence to support the claim that cannabis can cause schizophrenia. There is a big difference between the mild to severe bouts of paranoia some people experience while the drug is active in their system, and a permanent desease which is most likely genetic. was your cousin in his early twenties? That's usually when symptoms increase, I know from experience.

How do you know it was from smoking weed? And is it diagnosed properly or is it just something he said?

It's rather funny how you do meth but are worried about weed making you lose your shit.
Good point. meth psychosis is well documented right here on bluelight.

Yeahhhh... If I were you I'd take a closer look at the meth, psychosis sneaks up on you like a bitch ya know.

I don't think there is any evidence to support the claim that cannabis can cause schizophrenia. There is a big difference between the mild to severe bouts of paranoia some people experience while the drug is active in their system, and a permanent desease which is most likely genetic. was your cousin in his early twenties? That's usually when symptoms increase, I know from experience.
No, but there is enough evidence to suggest that those prone to developing schizophrenia will increase their chances in doing so by frequent cannabis use.

If your cousin has indeed developed schizophrenia there is a chance that somewhere up the family tree someone passed on a liability gene for schizophrenia. There is a chance you have it to. I don't think there's anyway you can find out. Tread with care! Keep in mind that dopaminergic drugs like meth aren't great either if you are liable for schizophrenia, seeing as dysregulation of the dopamine system is one of the core features of schizophrenia...

I read somewhere that the excessive use of cannabis can cause schizophrenia.But after long time and constant use.Also the amphetamine and meth.If combined both the chances increase.It's true that schizophrenia is inheritable,if someone in ur family has it the chanses increase for the offspring to get it.I was smoking weed like ciggarets years ago..u won't believe how much...I was consuming amphetamine also on regular basis,so few years later it started causing me psychotic episodes...I took medications 4 it.The doctor explained me that excessive use of both can lead to psychotic episodes.I don't have schizophrenia but the paranoia got worse and worse day by day.I gues i started medicating myself at the right moment.And since then i haven.t smoked weed..5 years have passed.I may try from to time but i'm scared as hell everytime before i light it up...I was a passionate smoker but now i can't enjoy it anymore.I can't control it!Bad thoughts everytime...And i know a case of a guy who got schizophrenia of using amphetamine and weed.So yes it can induce schizophrenia

I know a lot of people with cannabis induced psychosis. And in all cases, a close relative had previously previously been diagnosed with shizophrenia. Noone can say that these people would have been fine their whole life, had they not smoked cannabis. However, seeing how serious this illness can be, I would not take the risk.

Thanks for the response guys. Just personally I also strongly agree schizophrenia is linked to cannabis use and also know a few other mates with the condition but seemingly at different severity. And it's no joke pretty heavy condition its fucked his life up really.

I understand meth psychosis is also a formidable condition which is why I've been wondering if I would be 'more prone' to susceptibility to it, as there has been traces of it in family history but not from meth use specifically. Everyones different I know fellas that have shot up for 10 years and you would be suprised how sane and switched on they are, and then some who went downhill quick as we've all seen the horrors of...

My current situation is this: I don't believe i've ever experienced a 'psychotic episode' but that said I've been smoking for 2 and half years and the paranoia is noticeably worse than it was last year. I know I've gotta put the pipe down eventually I'm just gauging how long I've got left before it leaves too much of a mark.

For anyone interested or who may have useful information I have also started another thread concerning what are the symptoms of tooth decay from meth use if you wanna have any input in that thread.

Thanks for your story sstalker, im concluding it might be time to give up the pipes and just stick to beer, fuck