• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Generic Teva Focalin vs. Novartis Brand Focalin - Huge Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic_x

Greenlighter
I suffer from ADHD and was recently seen by a doctor who prescribed me generic Teva Focalin IR (instant release). I did my research, but not enough apparently. Should I have got the Norvartis brand Focalin IR?

I have never taken ADHD medication and was extremely disappointed because the Teva generic Focalin has a lot of side effects, like anxiety, tight chest, depression, but no positive effects whatsoever. It takes away my desire to think and focus and makes me feel very unhappy and unmotivated. This doesn't sound like the Focalin I've heard people describe.

I've read in 4 places now from users that Teva generic Focalin is basically a different drug altogether, based on the bad side effects and short duration of action. I understand that most generics are very similar, and the "Nocebo" effect makes people think that the generic isn't working. However, my impression based on research is that the Teva Focalin is more like Ritalin, because Ritalin is known to have the anxiety, tight chest, and high blood pressure side effects, while Focalin is supposed to have less peripheral nervous system (PNS) side effects.

My theory is that the generic Teva Focalin is not technically dexmethylphenidate. Similar, but different in some way? I think because of the lack of oversight and continued regular testing on generics, the Teva Focalin molecule isn't the same as Novartis Focalin. I know 99% of generics are the same, but my experience taking Teva Focalin exactly parallels the few comments I've read.

One comment I read regarding Teva Focalin said something like: "may as well be a different medication because the effects are so much different."

I'm at a crossroads because I don't want to keep taking Focalin, unless I know that I just got a bad batch. If so, I'll try Novartis brand Focalin. I don't want to wait 30 days again being stuck with a medication that is useless. If you have any experiences with Focalin, please share!

Last edited:
It certainly isnt methylphenidate or anything else than dexmethylphenidate in the Teva product. I do believe the placebo/nocebo effect is responsible for the majority of differences in what people perceive as differences between brand and generics as you said, but there have been cases where there have been differences. Usually this is because of bad manufacturing or different release mechanisms in ER/CR products but they are rare and the product is usually quickly recalled. But I am unaware of Teva's dexmethylphenidate ever being recalled and it is not an extended release formulation. But take what makes you feel best, even if it is nocebo as these effects can make real differences in outcomes.

I suffer from ADHD and was recently seen by a doctor who prescribed me generic Teva Focalin IR (instant release). I did my research, but not enough apparently. Should I have got the Norvartis brand Focalin IR?

I have never taken ADHD medication and was extremely disappointed because the Teva generic Focalin has a lot of side effects, like anxiety, tight chest, depression, but no positive effects whatsoever. It takes away my desire to think and focus and makes me feel very unhappy and unmotivated. This doesn't sound like the Focalin I've heard people describe.

I've read in 4 places now from users that Teva generic Focalin is basically a different drug altogether, based on the bad side effects and short duration of action. I understand that most generics are very similar, and the "Nocebo" effect makes people think that the generic isn't working. However, my impression based on research is that the Teva Focalin is more like Ritalin, because Ritalin is known to have the anxiety, tight chest, and high blood pressure side effects, while Focalin is supposed to have less peripheral nervous system (PNS) side effects.

My theory is that the generic Teva Focalin is not technically dexmethylphenidate. Similar, but different in some way? I think because of the lack of oversight and continued regular testing on generics, the Teva Focalin molecule isn't the same as Novartis Focalin. I know 99% of generics are the same, but my experience taking Teva Focalin exactly parallels the few comments I've read.

One comment I read regarding Teva Focalin said something like: "may as well be a different medication because the effects are so much different."

I'm at a crossroads because I don't want to keep taking Focalin, unless I know that I just got a bad batch. If so, I'll try Novartis brand Focalin. I don't want to wait 30 days again being stuck with a medication that is useless. If you have any experiences with Focalin, please share!
How was the Novartis?

This isn't really something we can work with here. No matter how much discussion might be had, we will never arrive at anything other than opinion, so I'm going to shut this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.