View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Generic cough syrup extraction

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
Was at Kinneys today and there was a nice sale going on the "Premier Value Tussin Cough" containing only dextromethorphan hbr. I know there are lots of extractions for the real robitussin but think this one would work the same? Was going to get the easier to extract Delsym but I got 3 bottles of this for cheaper than one bottle of delsym woulda been. I need it in powder form though to get rid of the carbs.

You should be able to perform the extraction on the generic tussin but don't use Delsym. Delsym contains Dextromethorphan polistirex not DXM hydrobromide (HBr). I am not familiar with the chemistry of the polistirex form but I am sure that you won't be able to perform an extraction which is essentially an A/B extraction or B/A in this case. You would need the HBr form as the polistirex form is not an acid salt, it is some weird type of polymer that coats the molecule allowing it to be slowly absorbed by the body aka time release. So as long as Dextromethorphan hydrobromide is your only active ingredient you are good to perform your extraction. The brand does not matter only what ingredients are within. Once you add your ammonia or whatever base you are using, the DXM will separate from the cough syrup inactive ingredients. That is when you add a non polar solvent, react, discard polar layer and proceed to either evaporate the DXM/solvent layer to obtain freebase DXM or add an acid and evaporate solvent to leave you with a DXM salt. Most people use lemon juice to procure DXM citrate.

Okay, thank you for the info. So just a normal robitussin extraction tek would work then for the generics?

And since it was a while before anyone responded I went back to a different store and also got a bottle of delsym. That extraction's already done but I'm having trouble getting the water to evaporate.