• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids General opiate replacement question

bigzip44

Bluelighter
Let me start by saying I am NOT looking for any sources whatsoever. As such, to the moderators, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate part of bluelight if you see the need.

I've been addicted to opiates for 12 years. I was on subutex maintenance (16-32 mg) for the better part of a decade and getting off buprenorphine almost killed me. I've used ibogaine almost 10 times since getting off subutex to kick the residual morphine habit I had until recently thinking better of it and just staying on roughly 120 mg of MS-Contin.

Essentially, I have found, through of all of this, that I am actually quite stable and happy on baby doses of long acting morphine (certainly not my drug of choice, which is either oxycodone or heroin).

This is what I want to discuss: are there any options for people that need opiate replacement but do not want to use either methadone or suboxone/subutex?

I know for a fact that in other more enlightened countries people are given different options for opioid replacement therapy beyond simply methadone or subs and I want to know if anyone else has any more insight into this question. I am just repulsed by the thought of getting back on bupe and yet total sobriety doesn't seem to work. Morphine closes the gap and yet it leaves me functional and happy, at very low doses.

Any thoughts at all are appreciated to help me on this conundrum.

As far as Narcotics/opiates go, no.

Trust me, Methadone and Buprenorphine are a GODSEND to opiate addicts who actually want to get clean, hit rock bottom, or even a life-time maintnance medication.

Imagine there were NO choice of opiate replacement therapy.. no bupe or 'done.. you fuck up too bad, cold turkey time..

I'm super happy we have those 2 great drugs for us addicts.

I get morphine sulphate (pentahydrate), as a 24 hours extended release formulation. Some country's in Europe recently expanded their opiate spectrum for ORT. You can either chose from DHC (very rare), buprenorphine, methadone, levo-methadone(polamidon), morphine sulphate and in severe cases diamorphine ( but only 7-8 clinics nationwide). I get 800mg morphine sulphate (pentahydrate), and its the best working opiate i have ever used for ORT.
I have quit heroin almost entirely and also stopped i.v. in a matter of a month. Which has never been the case before in all those years on methadone. But there could be multiple factors involved which favour this result. First of all, because of the extended release mechanism i get the maximum plasma concentration of morphine in my body in the evening, which is the time i usually would use heroin on top of the methadone. Also morphine feels very close to actual heroin. The other reason could be that i have no real worries at the moment and i have also enough money, in fact more then i had ever before, because of a new job. I also quit benzodiazepines and pregabalin, while i received the morphine. For me its hands down the best opiate for ORT. Even better then heroin because of the constant plasma levels. For me there is only one let down with morphine and this is the loss of libido. Some patients also have bad constipation, but not me, certainly not as bad as high dose methadone (200mg+). Still i want to quit the morphine, i only used it to stabilise, i am down to 200mg in a quick taper (5days), still very bearable. Lets see how the next days will be.

vivitrol is the truth. not an opiate replacement unfortunately. it's a shot thats taken once a month and lasts a month. blocks u from getting high off alcohol and opiates.

Is this in Canada? I appreciate your in depth response and insight. I was imagining myself taking somewhere around 120-240 mg per day orally; that's what I've used and that seems to be a quite stable dosing regimen for me at this point and I find myself neither sedated nor dysfunctional with a clear lack of most of the side effects that come with the regular doses of subutex (8-16 mg, etc).

I'm quite interested in how this works in Canada specifically, so if anyone has anything on that, for instance, whether it is in a clinic situation like methadone is distributed in the United States or, perhaps, if it can be prescribed from a doctor's office, as subutex and suboxone are in the United States. These are things that I am currently researching and there is very little solid information on the web about how ORT works with morphine specifically in Canada. The only thing I have been able to find out is that they have discontinued HAT (Heroin Assisted Treatment). Notably, Dr. Gabor Mate, renowned addiction physician maintains that this decision to discontinue HAT was based not on science at all but instead ignored all the available data suggesting that a subgroup of addicts benefit enormously from HAT.

Anyway, more on the morphine anyone?
Thank you so much to those that have replied to this thread.

Last edited: