• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

General Chemistry & DMT Extraction: General Questions for Experienced Folk...

GreatArc

Greenlighter
Hi there, first of all, thanks for the interest. I am newly diving into DMT extraction and have some general questions for either people who are experienced in extractions or Chemistry-savvy.

Please jump in on as many as you like:

1.) Emulsion: Why is this a bad thing? Is it only because it takes longer to fully settle? I am extracting from MHRB using a standard tek, and on my first attempt I just ended up shaking the jar instead of rolling the naphtha through the mixture. There was some bubbling which I found settled out perfectly within 10 or 20 min into perfect clear layers. Is separation the only reason shaking or an emulsion is bad?

2.) Are the draws supposed to be cloudy? Mine are almost perfectly clear with the tiniest tint of yellow which can barely be noticed, but clear nonetheless.

3.) What is the ideal length of time to roll hot naphtha through the mixture? And same question for emulsion, may I just shake it if it seems to be settling out perfectly afterwards?

4.) What temperature should the naphtha be at going into the mixture?

5.) What are the benefits/drawbacks of heating the basified root bark mixture before doing pulls?

6.) If I desired to do a wash with soda ash/distilled water, especially when the naphtha is very clear, is there any problem with me using food colouring to the water to make the separation line more distinct and make sure I am only pulling pure naphtha? Any reason this would not be advised?

7.) When I do my pulls, can they go straight into the freezer, or is it advisable that I cool them in the fridge first to avoid condensation?

8.) Glassware? I bought some cheap borosilicate glass beakers, flasks, graduated cylinder, pipettes, even a little separatory funnel, etc on eBay. What is the best way to clean glass you'd use in extraction so there's no residue? I have been using soap and water, then a good hot water rinse, spraying vinegar in it once dry, washing it off with hot water, then putting it in the oven for a few minutes. Should I use alcohol? Any problem with what I'm doing for what I need?

EDIT:

9.) What is the idea length of time to leave the MHRB soaking in the basified mixture? Minimum? Maximum (if any, is a week ok?)?

Thanks to any who answer.
-GA

Last edited:
Hi there, first of all, thanks for the interest. I am newly diving into DMT extraction and have some general questions for either people who are experienced in extractions or Chemistry-savvy.

Please jump in on as many as you like:

1.) Emulsion: Why is this a bad thing? Is it only because it takes longer to fully settle? I am extracting from MHRB using a standard tek, and on my first attempt I just ended up shaking the jar instead of rolling the naphtha through the mixture. There was some bubbling which I found settled out perfectly within 10 or 20 min into perfect clear layers. Is separation the only reason shaking or an emulsion is bad?

2.) Are the draws supposed to be cloudy? Mine are almost perfectly clear with the tiniest tint of yellow which can barely be noticed, but clear nonetheless.

3.) What is the ideal length of time to roll hot naphtha through the mixture? And same question for emulsion, may I just shake it if it seems to be settling out perfectly afterwards?

4.) What temperature should the naphtha be at going into the mixture?

5.) What are the benefits/drawbacks of heating the basified root bark mixture before doing pulls?

6.) If I desired to do a wash with soda ash/distilled water, especially when the naphtha is very clear, is there any problem with me using food colouring to the water to make the separation line more distinct and make sure I am only pulling pure naphtha? Any reason this would not be advised?

7.) When I do my pulls, can they go straight into the freezer, or is it advisable that I cool them in the fridge first to avoid condensation?

8.) Glassware? I bought some cheap borosilicate glass beakers, flasks, graduated cylinder, pipettes, even a little separatory funnel, etc on eBay. What is the best way to clean glass you'd use in extraction so there's no residue? I have been using soap and water, then a good hot water rinse, spraying vinegar in it once dry, washing it off with hot water, then putting it in the oven for a few minutes. Should I use alcohol? Any problem with what I'm doing for what I need?

Thanks to any who answer.
-GA

1) Emulsion is an annoyance in the way of getting your layers separated. Gentle heating in a water bath helps with that. I've heard people use regular salt as well, but I would not recommend it.

2) If using Naptha, draws have yellowish tinge and will depend on the amount of DMT and impurities floating in it. You may shake it but its not advisable as naptha readily absorb other stuff from MHRB which you dont need.

3) Just enough so it settles. You can do couple pulls with Naptha, separating them each time.

4) I never got very technical with this one. I usually use water bath for the safety purpose and it makes it pretty warm. You dont want it boiling!

5) None as I know - it gets very hot by itself at first, then you need to leave it alone for a couple of days, shaking at times.

6) Not sure about solubility of that water colorant in solvents - it might all just saturate your Naphta instead. Use recrystallization methods instead for purification purposes.

7) Wise to use the fridge first but not vital. Make sure you dont have any foods that might absorb evaporating naptha. And use aluminum foil to tightly close your tray.

8) Warm soapy water and/or IPA -what I use.

I think you got it all man! With a separatory funnel it's very nice! ;)