• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos General benzo: When does withdrawal symptoms from Benzo come?

candysmandy

Greenlighter
Hi!
When taking a benzo pill that say have a lasting effect for 6 hours. When does the withdrawal symptoms come? Does the halflife duration have anything to say?

For me it is around two or three halflifes as for in example drug with 6h halflife would start giving WDs for me around 12-18 hours after the last dose has been taken.

Duration of action is only one factor in when withdrawals appear. Individual dosing patterns and history with this class of substances will probably be larger determining factors. That said, it's also highly variable as some benzos have active metabolites that outlast the parent compound (Example: Valium ((diazepam))). I know this answer is lacking in a lot of ways but the answer to your question is just so highly individual.

I've quit klonopin a few times :\ and for me the really unpleasant symptoms don't start until roughly 7 days after my last pill. From what I understand, this is quite common, at least among the relatively slow-acting benzos, though I know zero about the pharmacokinetics of why.

Duration of action is only one factor in when withdrawals appear. Individual dosing patterns and history with this class of substances will probably be larger determining factors. That said, it's also highly variable as some benzos have active metabolites that outlast the parent compound (Example: Valium ((diazepam))). I know this answer is lacking in a lot of ways but the answer to your question is just so highly individual.

^This. IMO a rough guide influenced by my personal experience is:
0-24 hours: perhaps nothing, perhaps mild anxiety
24-48 hours: anxiety/depression. Perhaps brain zaps/twitching (bad sign)
48-72 hours: severe anxiety/depression. A slightly wired feeling, brain zaps and twitching, seizure.

This wouldn't happen after taking benzos for a day or two, for me. But if I've been taking them daily for a week its a dead cert. Had the same from diazepam, etizolam and alprazolam (different half lifes).

It can be avoided through tapering. Even if I saved my last or even last half a dose for day three I could potentially avoid a seizure.

^This. IMO a rough guide influenced by my personal experience is:
0-24 hours: perhaps nothing, perhaps mild anxiety
24-48 hours: anxiety/depression. Perhaps brain zaps/twitching (bad sign)
48-72 hours: severe anxiety/depression. A slightly wired feeling, brain zaps and twitching, seizure.

This wouldn't happen after taking benzos for a day or two, for me. But if I've been taking them daily for a week its a dead cert. Had the same from diazepam, etizolam and alprazolam (different half lifes).

It can be avoided through tapering. Even if I saved my last or even last half a dose for day three I could potentially avoid a seizure.

But you used for a long time before, right?

^I'd been using them on and off for about six months, but just at the weekend at parties. The problem first occurred when I was on them (xanax) roughly daily for a week or two. But I specifically remember a year later taking 20 10mg diazepam over the course of a week then having the seizure on the third day after stopping.

It happens differently for everyone, but I'd say that what I'm describing is a fairly common outcome.

What is the situation you are in?

I take Xanax 3mg daily. I've noticed after about 12-18 hours I get anxiety and start having cold sweats. I also get upset stomach and diarrhea. I know it's time to dose when my hand tremors are coming on and I have bad diarrhea and stomach cramps

^I'd been using them on and off for about six months, but just at the weekend at parties. The problem first occurred when I was on them (xanax) roughly daily for a week or two. But I specifically remember a year later taking 20 10mg diazepam over the course of a week then having the seizure on the third day after stopping.

It happens differently for everyone, but I'd say that what I'm describing is a fairly common outcome.

What is the situation you are in?

I got a feeling you have replied to my deleted thread.
Anyway, I have been using 1mg Klonopin/Clonazepam when my anxiety disorder has been real bad and I have felt I need it to not get a panic attack.

So in the last 7 months I have used about 50mg of Klonopin/Clonazepam. Some times I have used 2mg, sometimes 0,25mg. Basically I used it when I felt the need. Most of the time I just lived with the anxiety.

I also used 20 5mg Zopiclone/Imovane/Zimovane/Dopareel pills in a periode of about 20 days.

So is this enough to develop a dependence? I cant really tell since my anxiety symptoms will be the same as the withdrawal? Also, if I actually would to quit using, how should I do it?

For me it is around two or three halflifes as for in example drug with 6h halflife would start giving WDs for me around 12-18 hours after the last dose has been taken.

This is spot on for many drugs, especially Xanax.

Of course, the more severe your addiction, the lower that time will likely be.