• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Gay-Marriage in the U.S. please answer my question since no one has been able to!

Squeaks

Bluelighter
Okay for a while now we have been "overloaded" with news articles and "fights" against gay marriage in the U.S. gay people see it as a civil rights issue and bible thumpers see it as a religious issue..... Now that the cases are being heard by SCOTUS... I had a question...... I get appaled by some of the replies to news articles about this issue again... people bringing up the bible etc etc... Being a gay male here is a dillema I havent really seen being addressed in the whole "fight"

We have seperation of church and state for a reason in the U.S. So if a Justice of the peace(total government entity can marry a "straight" couple then why cant they marry a gay couple after all seperation of church and state..... some people say they can do civil unions but that I see as total discrimnation with the whole federal taxes, estate taxes, hopsital visitation, adoption problems etc etc........

While I do not like it say for instance a catholic gay couple wants to go to thier church to get married and the pastor turns them down... it sucks yes but again seperation of church and state they have every right to do this.....

Seems to me if the government doesnt want to open this contreversial issue then they shoudnt have gotten into the marriage business at all since they have then it should be fair game!

Please leave constructive debate not a hate filled post(which I know most BL'ers wouldnt do anyways)

your thoughts opinions comments by me as long as not filled with hate will also be respected and returned(cant promise otherwise by others) with just a good hearted debate on the issue!

Lets try to leave the bible out of this since its the government marrying people as well!

Again the reason why I felt I needed to post this is because when I try to rebuff people hate filled comments on news article comments they dont adress my comments just follow up by more hatred and non topic posts! Than You for your time!

As well as a public declaration of love, marriage is important as it creates a legal entity, that of a married couple. the only authority to appeal to or exercise the legal implications of this entity is the government. no religious institution has such legal authority and therefore have nothing to do with it.

as an institution of its own, it can exercise its right not to participate in some marriage ceremonies, but it is only the institutions loss for being stubbornly selective.

what matters is equality.

I made a similar point on Facebook recently.

To me... it seems completely wrong, considering that there is a supposed separation of church and state, that the government should even be able to denounce, deny, etc. the ability for same sex couples to be married. Not (as you mentioned) united in a civil union, but married. I don't understand how that's even considered to be ok. Clearly... it's hypocrisy, but since the majority of people are not gay, they seem to have a completely passive stance.

It's not fair, it's not right, but unfortunately... it doesn't appear that politicians are going to do shit about it. People are gonna have to press on and hope to force a change.

I don't understand. Just because gay marriage becomes an option doesn't mean you have to get one.