• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

gamma aminobutyric acid to enhance benzo effect?

Tifftifco2

Bluelighter
Would this work? As they are what the benzodiazepines work on would adding a gamma aminobutyric acid supplement increase efficacy and of so how much? I have 750mg capsules and 10mg diazapam. Any info appreciated to get the longest effect of the benzo! Thanks

Probably won't make a significant difference to be frank.

Perhaps large doses of GABA might potentiate it?

GHB/GBL/etc work at GABA B, whereas benzos work at GABA A. Two very different beasts with very different effects.

It will maybe potentiate it in the sense that you are taking two drugs with some somewhat similar effects at once, but that's about it. IME alcohol (GABA B) completely spoils the benzo experience, but many people disagree. I guess it depends what you want from a benzo and how they react with you.

Aside from its action on ion channels, alcohol mainly works as a modulator of GABA-A not GABA-B (although being a dirty and promiscuous compound it has sorts of other activities, which may ostensibly include GABA-B).

In anycase this person doesnt mean GHB but rather GABA itself. In that regard, taking GABA supplements will likely to do very little, but it wont hurt to try.

Cytochrome P450 inhibitors like Grapefruit Juice potentiate certain types of benzos like Clonazepam but I'm not sure how it effects the metabolism of Diazepam.

Supplementing GABA has a weird effect on me, every time it makes me itchy and makes my heartrate go way up. I know it's not placebo either as it was the opposite of what I expected, if anything.

No. Depending on where you look you can find evidence anything works. But, alot of or basically all that (in my opinion) is from directly or indirectly profiting off it.

Ive bought it and it did nothing ime. Might give you a placebo or very small but measurable effect in a controlled experiment.

Specifically i believe most bodys can rapid adjust metabolism and or decreasing product to ingested amino acids so that you dont die. Plus i believe it may undergo decarboxylation.

If you're having this much trouble with benzos and the duration of effects you might be taking them for the wrong reasons. The addiction potential and their unbeaten effectiveness as an antipsychotic make them a 'treat with respect' class of drugs. Using them recreationally to get high just ruins an excellent safety net and invites one of the worst addictions conceivable, imo.

But does GABA A when it's in a Glutamat-capsule get through the blood-brain-barrier? That's what I read.

JJ

It also contains VitB and is said to work very well with L-Tryptophan, which I also ordered and forgot to pick up today. Any experiences? I am just concerned because of the SSRI i have to take.

Last edited:
I've tried GABA by every roa but IM, smoked or IV and have never noticed any effect, even when taking grams and grams. It could be related to my benzodiazepine tolerance, but I tried it before I was put on any benzo and never found even a subtle effect, or even placebo effect. At least it's not the worst tasting compound for sublingual use, I just wish it did anything.