• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin - what to expect?

lecroute

Bluelighter
Doc suggested I try Gapapentin for pain (fibromyalgia) and I never thought I would be asking this, but is there any benefit in taking them besides pain relief? And are there some nasty side effects that could make taking them.worse than not taking anything at all?

Doc suggested I try Gapapentin for pain (fibromyalgia) and I never thought I would be asking this, but is there any benefit in taking them besides pain relief? And are there some nasty side effects that could make taking them.worse than not taking anything at all?
Gabapentin can be great for nerve pain. It does have side effects, the most common being weight gain. It also creates physical dependence and the withdrawal isn’t so nice. It has low bioavailability and you gain tolerance fast so I wouldn’t recommend that you abuse it. If it does help for pain then you’ll want to ensure you get the most from it.

Long term it has been linked to dementia and brain fog. It can cause issues with proprioception, meaning that you can feel unsteady whilst taking it.

Take as directed and see how it helps for pain. If it’s not helping then ask to come off it.

Not everybody gets withdrawals from gabapentinoids, I didn't despite abusing pregabalin at higher dosages than prescribed, but many do and when then it sucks. Of course, there is no way in knowing whether it'll affect you before it's too late.

These drugs have the steepest tolerance curve I've ever experienced with any drug and are only enjoyable when either taken way above your usual dosage or after a longer tolerance break. The recreative effects aren't necessarily related to the therapeutic ones and it seems to work for nerve pain even after one acquired tolerance.

Yeah, they cause brain fog, I felt kinda stupid on 600mg/d pregabalin.

Not everybody gets withdrawals from gabapentinoids, I didn't despite abusing pregabalin at higher dosages than prescribed,
I intend on using them as prescribed, but then I said the same about benzos. Before I discovered the add-on, so to speak.
Yeah, they cause brain fog, I felt kinda stupid on 600mg/d pregabalin.
Now, brain fog is something I don't enjoy (don't get it from benzos, but I do get it from stress)