• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin + Tramadol = Increased seizure risk?

elstongunn39

Bluelighter
Curious about whether tramadol and gabapentin is a dangerous combo . of course gabapentin won't necessarily decrease the risk of seizures, but will it INCREASE the risk? I've heard that in combo with certain drugs, gabapentin can actually increase seizure risk. also how safe is it to mix weed with tramadol?

To my knowledge, gabapentin shouldn't increase it, but like you mentioned, don't count on it to decrease it.

Cannabis and tramadol are very synergistic. Whether it will increase your chance of a seizure, I think it largely depends on how you react to cannabis. Mixing 100 mg of tramadol with cannabis has given me one of the most intense euphorias of my life, and I actually felt like I was floating out of my body... But it's also been extremely unpleasant when I overdo the tramadol. My friends have had similar experiences with the combo.

Hope that helps and stay safe. Tramadol can be a very dangerous drug. I would be extremely careful about keeping your tramadol dose low if youre also using cannabis.

I have heard that the wrong anti-epileptic (gabapentin is technically an anti-epileptic) can give an epileptic seizures but in my best estimation gabapentin is going to reduce the risk of seizures while the gabapentin is in your system - when you're withdrawing from it or when it is working its way out of your system your seizure threshold will be lowered. But in general gabapentin is an antiepileptic used to control seizures in many people. There is exacerbation of seizures on the withdrawal though.

I'm not an epileptic and have never had a seizure. The idea about gabapentin increasing seizure risk in conjunction with certain drugs came from another thread i saw here. i have not seen it confirmed by any evidence. should i consider it safe to take my (prescribed) dose of 300 mg gabapentin tonight?

I mean, I just started on it, and at a pretty low dose. I started on it not for epilepsy, just for "post-lyme syndrome"

The combination of cannabis and tramadol is inherently dangerous but adding gabapentin to the mix probably isn't much more dangerous. My gut tells me you'll have a higher risk of seizures if you don't take the gabapentin.