• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc gabapentin question

Znegative

Bluelight Crew
I've recently gotten a prescription for gabapentin to help with my depression, and possibly help with my cocaine cravings (I find that a little strange although gabapentin can be stimulating.) Anyway, I've been prescribed 300 mg in the morning and 300 at night, and I've found that it has improved my mood immensely. But yesterday I decided to try and get more "buzzed" and ended up taking about 1300 mg and I did get pretty buzzed. Today I took about the same ammount, and I feel nothing at all, less than when I was just taking my therapeutic dosage.
I am not pleased with myself for this stupid binge, and am now afraid that I've ruined a medication that had actually been working for me. I've read that as you increase your dosage of gabapentin the bioavailability decreases, and from my experience that seems to be true. Like buprenorphine, less is more with gabapentin as well.
I want to go back to my therapeutic dosage, so that I can feel the effects and feel better, but am not sure how to go about doing this. I've read on wikipedia that the half life of gabapentin is only 4-5 hours, so is should get out of my system relatively quickly, I imagine a few days at most. What I am wondering though, is if for the next few days, I should continue taking my therapeutic dosage (even though it will now have no effect) and wait until the higher dosages have left my system, OR, if I should just try and abstain for a day or two from any gabapentin and then resume my prescribed regimen.

One more thing, since gabapentin's bioavailability decreases the more you take it orally, would you be able to hypothetically avoid that process by switching ROA to I.V or insufflation? I know it's really not a good idea to shoot pills etc, but lets just say for this question that you have pure gabapentin powder.

Gabapentin is a very useful medication in my opinion. It helps me with multiple things. It helps my nerve pain, anxiety/mood, and also helps me greatly during opiate withdrawal. Tolerance does build very quickly, though. If I were you, I would just try and abstain for a day or two, and then reduce your normal dosing regimen. I still can attain a nice buzz from it, as long as i abstain for a few days. Reminds me of a drunk/benzo feeling without the crappy feeling alcohol gives me. Great mood enhancer, especially nice in combination with marijuana. Be warned, though - The recreational effects disappear very quickly, after only a couple days. The therapeutic effects still do remain though but the feeling of 'intoxication' vanishes quickly.

I don't have any answers in regards to IV or insufflation, but that would be a lot! of powder. I get the 600mg tablets and they are friggen' huge.

Also, take a gander at the Gabapentin(Neurontin) Mega Thread!

Edit: Found the solubility is equal to 4490 mg/L

Last edited:
wtf abusing neurontin ? there is simply no point as there is no euphoric quotient .

that's not really true, alot of people can catch a buzz off of it. I take suboxone, and it really works nicely like that, it gives me more of an H feeling off of the bupe, and it makes me a lot more comfortable in stressfull situations. I find that it is euphoric, in a kind of speedy way. However, I imagine that without the suboxone it would probably be not as effective. Secondly, tons of people get high off of pregabalin which is basically gabapentinx2.

I think you have to have a low tolerance to probably get high off of it though. My benzo tolerance has been lowered to 1 mg of clonazepam a day, so I can get buzzed off of the neurontin.

However hobhead, I agree it is stupid to start abusing a medication that works well at prescribed dosages, but i do find gabapentin can give a very nice, unique high.

Brokedown palace, thanks for the link, I've been having trouble with the search engine whenever I try it, I find that lots of the results are threads that have nothing to do with what I'm really searching for, but might mention gabapentin somewhere in there. I'll definately check it out.

Also, I have IV'd the 300 mg's, and I found that it dissolves very well it about 2 ml of water, so I do two shots. However I've decided to stop doing that as the effect is not worth the possible danger to my health. The fact that the powder dissolves so easily actually scares me more than when you have a lot of insolubles left in the spoon. My rule on I.V'ing pills, is that if it doesn't give you a much better high or rush (like opana does), then it's really not worth doing.

What was it like IVed? I was actually pondering this earlier this afternoon. And in regards to the search engine, you can go to 'advanced search' and then switch it from search entire posts to search titles only. this will only return results with your search keyword in the title. Alternatively, you could just use google. Type - site:bluelight.ru "search terms" except without the quotation marks.

thanks again for the info, I figured I'd been doing something wrong. If you I.V it when you don't have a tolerance, or have been taking low daily dosages (300-600 mg/day), I.V gabapentin hits you pretty much immediately though its strange because it seems to take about 3 minutes to reach it's full peak which is unlike most injectable chemicals. You get a strange, but nice taste in your mouth, which reminds me kind of like dope for some reason, and you get nice and relaxed, you feel kind of floaty. Like I said before, its not worth the risk, I was just wondering if I'V'ing it would solve the problem of the bioavailability matter, though I still think I will stick to popping them or at the most sniffing them.

Gabapentin is a great drug for many reasons and yes people can get a high off of it, not everyone but some. The only thing to be aware of is that if you tske it for long period of time and then stop abruptly there are withdrawals and in my opinion and many others that agree the withdrawals are sometimes worse thsn opiate withdrawals. Just be aware

^Do you have any sources backing up your claim of abrupt cessation causing withdrawals? I am not doubting you, I am legitimately curious. I have taken neurontin (gabapentin) 1800mg daily for over a year and then stopped with no noticeable withdrawals. I seem to be able to tolerate GABA drugs much better than withdrawing from opiates, though. It seems gabapentin has such a wide range of effects from person to person, it wouldn't surprise me if some people experienced some kind of withdrawal. I am just looking for qualitative information describing the "withdrawal" of gabapentin. My mom has been on it for years ( 6+) maybe more, and she sometime skips a few days between scripts and seems fine.

Again I am not doubting you, just curious if you could share some sources, or at the very least share some anecdotal experiences just for the record.

we came across a bottle of this stuff in high school and the people whos house we found it in didnt know what it was so we got the whole thing for like $5. Dont remember the pill dosage but we ate like anywhere from 5-12 at a time to get fucked up for like 12 hours. We would usually pop a bunch right before we went drinking and we always smoked a bunch of weed with it. Sorta made everything real dreamy and blissed out for me and I got way more drunk and stoned. Never experienced withdrawls even if we used it a bunch of days in a row but got extra hung over the next day, probably just cause we got so nastyfuckedup when we were on it.

Last edited:
I have been taking these for 3 days. First 2 days i was very sleepy now day 3 and i dont really feel anything except my anxiety is gone. Just tried iv this for a little buzz so i mixed 300mg pill to 2ml of water. I do feel the effects but there is no good reason to iv this. But im an addict so i will iv this before work in the morning just to get me going faster ;)

let me tell you personally brokendownpalace, I thought there was nothing with gaba and I took it for a few months never abused it above 2 grams I was normal with my dosing. The withdrawals were insanity the amount of shaking and puking foam and bile up youll be doing is beyond horrible and I had h and benzos to help me... it lasts a week really bad 2nd week slowly better but still horrible only by week 3 you feel 85-90% and it stays that way till 4th week I had a whole thread with a timeline on it with my experience
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/813382-Gabapentin-withdrawal

IVing pills is a risky as hell thing to do; if you absolutely insist, for your own health you should use micron filters and safer injection practices.

That said, I'm not sure that you'd get any additional effects from banging gabapentin as opposed to eating it (or plugging it).

Gaba's a weird drug in that its bioavailability decreases with larger doses. I believe the ceiling is somewhere around 1800mg at a time; after that you absorb progressively less drug.

It does have some recreational effects but tolerance to same builds ultra-rapidly. Fortunately, the tolerance also drops fairly quickly as well.

It has significant sedative effects that newer recreational users probably won't like; these can be offset by a couple cups of coffee, a 5hr Energy, or a caffeine tablet.

Yes you can get dependent on gabapentin, its withdrawal effects can include loss of appetite, depression, mild flu-like symptoms, and insomnia.

Hit me up if you have any more questions