• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin + Oxycodone (or other opiates?)

Mayo_Tree

Bluelighter
I didn't find any specific answer in a cursory search, so I thought I might begin a new thread both for myself and the sake of others who may search in future.

Here's the dilemma at hand:

I'm planning on tapering from Oxycodone, and tomorrow I'm planning on taking some Gabapentin during the day. I have about 3900mg's, and have heard it can help with withdrawal, so I'm planning on taking it during the day to give myself a sort of "buffer-zone" (i.e., a prolonged period of time.... hopefully) between my next dose of Oxy.

Here's the question:

If I take Gabapentin in the daytime, is it safe to dose some Oxy at some point during the day, later ideally? The objective is to wait as long as possible before doing so, and even if I do, make it a much lower dose than I'd normally be used to (say, around 20mg). My tolerance is around .... well, yesterday I took 200mg of Oxy throughout the day, I think. I'm not proud of myself for that, I was supposed to be cutting down. :/ Hence, the need to quit.

So, if I take Gaba in the daytime, is it "safe" to take a bit of Oxy in the afternoon/evening, just to have it in my system?

Also, just for added info, I'm planning on switching to Methadone for a few days. A.) It's cheaper. B.) It's available. C.) It changes ROA, getting me off the insufflation fixation (although, I have been taking Oxy orally sometimes, because at some point sniffing just isn't getting the job done, they go like candies, it's nuts.

All of this detail is mainly for archival purposes, for future searchers who may be in a similar predicament.

Thanks in advance to all who may help, and greetings & shout-outs to everyone.
Much love to the addict community. <3

-Mayo.

save the gabapentin for the end of the taper.

Oh yeah? Huh... perhaps I shall do that, then. I'll at least consider it strongly. Would you offer any elaboration? I'm curious to hear more, if you are able/willing at the moment, or doesn't inconvenience you.

It depends whether you intend to taper or just do an experiment. If you want/need to taper, then I'd recommend saving the gabapentin for when it's needed. Otherwise you'll be fine using it as a potentiator.

It depends whether you intend to taper or just do an experiment. If you want/need to taper, then I'd recommend saving the gabapentin for when it's needed. Otherwise you'll be fine using it as a potentiator.

Yeah, at this point it's a necessity that I quit altogether. Thing is, to my way of thinking, the Gaba is needed as much now as later. I mean, I'm already going through low-key withdrawal basically as soon as my dose wears off. I seem to start getting symptoms some hours after dosing (depending on ROA). I've been waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety/panic, and I think it has to do with withdrawal setting in overnight.
As a result, I've been taking a dose a couple hours before bedtime so that it's in my system while I sleep, for most of the night. I've had better nights when I do this, which supports my theory. Since I can't see a doctor, I'm on my own to determine a diagnosis, unfortunately.

To give sort of an idea what I experience, for example, this morning I took 20ml of methadone, and waited for it to kick in a few hours later. I then started to have bad anxiety creep up. Now, since I took methadone today, I didn't take my benzo in the early-afternoon as I have been lately. Perhaps it would've been okay to do so, but with the risk and all between benzos and methadone, I'm trying not to exacerbate it too much, ya know? So, I took 40mg of Oxy instead. I feel a bit better now (although it hasn't subsided entirely), which leads me to think it's withdrawal related.....?
It's as if I get withdrawal symptoms even if I take some opiates, if it isn't up to my normal dose. I'm dumb, but I'm assuming that's how opiate withdrawal works maybe? I dunno, I'm new to this, lol.

are you trying to get off oxy? have you kicked before? there’s not really an oxy taper that results in no sick once you get to zero. the way to get off is a quick taper and jump. youre gonna feel sick and have trouble sleeping. the gabapentin will help big time at that point. if you take it during the taper, you wont have it when you need it.

edit:
k i see your post. if you are not trying to get off, right on. if you’re trying to get off, there’s gonna be a bit of pain. yeah once you start the taper you wont feel great. that’s reason to do a quick taper. and you do not need the gabapentin during as much as at the end. you’ll realize that at the end, and you’ll be grateful if you have it.

even if you have enough for both during an at the end, i’d still save it until the end. it will work way better. and you don’t wanna trade one habit for the other.

Last edited:
are you trying to get off oxy? have you kicked before? there’s not really an oxy taper that results in no sick once you get to zero. the way to get off is a quick taper and jump. youre gonna feel sick and have trouble sleeping. the gabapentin will help big time at that point. if you take it during the taper, you wont have it when you need it.

edit:
k i see your post. if you are not trying to get off, right on. if you’re trying to get off, there’s gonna be a bit of pain. yeah once you start the taper you wont feel great. that’s reason to do a quick taper. and you do not need the gabapentin during as much as at the end. you’ll realize that at the end, and you’ll be grateful if you have it.

even if you have enough for both during an at the end, i’d still save it until the end. it will work way better. and you don’t wanna trade one habit for the other.

That makes sense, thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to respond in more detail. Yeah, I'm trying to get off of Oxy altogether. I've kicked opiates a couple times, but both of those times I had Suboxone at my disposal, and it was ... really easy. Unfortunately, I can't find any Subs anywhere. If I only had 2 of them (2!!) I wouldn't worry at all.

This time, what I have to help this time is a bit of Gaba (3900mg), about 3 days worth of Lyrica (200mgX3), a bit of DXM, a few extra benzos on the side of my regular prescription, Valerian extract, St. John's Wort extract. That's about it. ....And methadone. As for Oxy, I have 3X40mg's left, and I'll probably end up taking another one this evening.

**Edit:** I also have some CBD weed.

With all that in mind, what might be the best course of action? Methadone seems to act strangely with me. Most here say that it lasts all day and night, and I'm aware of how the half-life is supposed to work. For me though, when I take a dose in the morning, I feel it starts wearing off by the afternoon. By late-evening I'll be in full withdrawal, so that's when I'd take a bit of Oxy to compensate.
Of course, when I run out of Oxy, that's it. So, I'm thinking of taking a methadone dose in the morning, and in the evening, to have it even-out and last. I'm considering that, mind you. I'm aware that most here would recommend taking it only once per day, but since it acts the way it does with me, I'm considering taking 2 doses like that.

What do you (and others) think about this? What would you guys suggest as a general regime or schedule, bearing in mind what I've said above? I've seen online (and here on BL) that some people do take their methadone twice daily. I forget where, but... I saw it, haha.

Anyways, as I said, I'm still new to this (especially with no Suboxone), so I appreciate you guys'/gals' counsel.

Last edited:
Strongly agree with this. Gabapentin is 100% you BEST FRIEND when it comes to opioid withdrawal. If you don't have a tolerance to it, it can pretty much eliminate withdrawals.

Yeah, I've heard people saying that on here, it's good to know. Too bad, years ago I had a script of 800mg three times per day. This time I just got some randomly from a friend, a small amount, but I'm extremely grateful. I also have a script of Lyrica, but it's a really low dose (25mg). Have no idea why they'd give me such a small dose, I almost wonder if it was intended as placebo in order to pacify me. Seriously, I sometimes wonder if it was intended as an insult...... or if I'm just insulted, lol.