• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin making me weak and hungover?

Legally High

Bluelighter
What has your experience been?

When I take gabapentin, even if I am geeked out my stims, I HAVE to go to bed. Like my body just shuts down. When I wake up I am extremely groggy and don nott want to move. I plan on stopping but I wreak with anxiety at work without it due to dependence?

Last edited:
I get this way sometimes if I take an extra dose of gabapentin before bed. It seems like it takes a long while for it to kick in. The morning grogginess doesn't happen if I just take it after dinner. How much are you using? It might help to try dosing earlier.

My Gralise (gabapentin ER) oftens makes me sluggish. I started on 300 mgs once a day at bedtime and it took a long time (more than a year) for the sluggishness to go away. My doctor upped it to 600 mgs about ...8 to 10 months ago and I'm just about normal again. Both doses put me to sleep, even before I started on a low dosage of klonopin.
I think I may be super sensitive to it, or the ER version is taking too long to leave my system.

Ugh....I definitely get the next day hangover. Wake up feeling like total shit, and as if I hadn't slept, all of which tends to extend over the next several hours, at least. Hate that shit.

TC's suggestion is a good one, but not an option for me, unfortunately....I work all the time, and it would interfere with and negatively impact my work and the safety of myself and others....Gabapentin affects my motor skills, coordination and cognitive abilities far more than something like benzos....crazy they're controlled but Gabapentin is not- not that I wish for Gabapentin to be controlled....just that people in charge are fucking morons.

-PA

Yet another drug marketed to doctors as the miracle drug and replacement for good old opiates.. No wonder the maker had to settle out of court after a gazillion complaints..
I was on it for awhile, but as mentioned I felt like I was always hung over. If I wanted to feel hungover all day, every day I would have gone back to heavy drinking and enjoyed the alcohol buzz.
I'm a bit rare in that I can manage opiates really well without the need to want to feel high, just enough to keep the sick off and keep pain under control. I've been taking the same dosage for about 4 years doing fine with the caveat that none of it is prescribed. When I finally do run out, well...I'll pay the piper and I'm prepared. It won't be fun, but it won't be gabapentin.