• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin induced eyelid ptosis (permanent damage)

Wulimaster01

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have been taking daily high doeses of Gabapentin for anxiety for the last 2 years and before that I was on Pregabalin for about two years as well.

I used to notice a partial eyelid droop (ptosis) in one eye on higher doeses of both drugs and I know it's one of the mentioned Side Effects however it used to go away when the drug effect wears off, but the ptosis kept getting worse lately and I stopped taking all meds 10 days ago (tappered off over a week) in hope to restore my eyelid look but I'm afraid it didn't work out. I think I might have a permanent damage..

Any advice? Anyone had similar situation?

I'm not sure if it worth mentioning but I also get muscle twitches that comes and goes on random places in my body, I think it's also caused by Gabapentin.

Thanks

I have never met anybody who suffered this as a permanent side effect. Muscle twitches and spasms are more common but still not commonplace. I've had spasms since I was 16 so I'm not entirely sure I can comment on the effect any Gabapentinoid has had on it.

Also, 10 days isn't too long to be off of the meds! If it did indeed influence your eyelid dropping, I truly believe within another 2 weeks you'll be fine.

Now, you did say high doses. But you tapered off relatively fast. What do you consider a high dose? I am sure Zonxxx will show up here soon but he has taken 20+ thousand MG on the regular so he knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

I am wishing you the best and can almost guarantee the side effect is a temporary one. God Bless

It would be a good idea to see a doctor to make sure that it's not something more serious like a nerve damage which can get worse then effect various other organs.

I have never met anybody who suffered this as a permanent side effect. Muscle twitches and spasms are more common but still not commonplace. I've had spasms since I was 16 so I'm not entirely sure I can comment on the effect any Gabapentinoid has had on it.

Also, 10 days isn't too long to be off of the meds! If it did indeed influence your eyelid dropping, I truly believe within another 2 weeks you'll be fine.

Now, you did say high doses. But you tapered off relatively fast. What do you consider a high dose? I am sure Zonxxx will show up here soon but he has taken 20+ thousand MG on the regular so he knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

I am wishing you the best and can almost guarantee the side effect is a temporary one. God Bless

I used to take 4000mg 3 times a day, but I went down to 4000mg on three doeses a day and then 1200mg, 800mg and my last day I only took 400mg..

I know it sounds like I tapered off pretty quick but from previous expeirnece I knew I could do it without having withdrawal symptoms at all.

10 days is by far my record of not taking any meds since I can remember and I feel okay nevertheless, I hope that if I give it more time it will resolve by itself but I'm worried it might be caused by something more serious that gabapentin only helped unmasking.

Thank you

It would be a good idea to see a doctor to make sure that it's not something more serious like a nerve damage which can get worse then effect various other organs.

I've seen an neurologist for the muscle switches who had me do some tests to check electrolytes and if I had Antinuclear bodies (ANA) the ANA test came negative but all the electrolytes were high but within range except for potassium (5.5) which was a bit too high. He thought it might be that and asked me to just drink a lot of water to dilute it.

Thanks

Can I second the notion that this has only been 10 days, give it a few months before getting too worried.

-GC

I’d stay off it if you can, has some nasty undocumented long term side effects that are permanent.

I get the muscle twitches with pregabalin, but only in high doses. I think you should first talk to your doc but it seems like you should taper it tottaly and wait to see what happens.

oh my fault you stopped 10 days ago, sorry. I can't think gabapentin can make permanent conditions. Do you take others drugs ?

oh my fault you stopped 10 days ago, sorry. I can't think gabapentin can make permanent conditions. Do you take others drugs ?

Yes stopped 11 days ago now but didn't notice any improvements whatsoever, I only take benzo/cannabis combo each weekend but that's it.

Thanks