• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin and tachycardia?

Red Moon

Bluelighter
Does anyone know if it's normal for gabapentin to cause tachycardia/rapid heartbeat? My psychiatrist prescribed it for me for anxiety and panic attacks (he doesn't believe in benzos and the only other options he gave me were SSRIs/SNRIs or hydroxizine). I've actually had gabapentin in much higher doses recreationally in the past, but maybe I just didn't notice... Now at this low dose I'm finding it's increasing my heart rate. It's somewhat helpful for the mental aspects of anxiety but it's definitely making physical ones worse... especially since I already get tachycardia whenever I'm upright because I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Fun.

Am I imagining the increased tachycardia from the gabapentin, or has anyone else experienced this?

Gabapentin has a vast number of possible side effects. Tachycardia has been reported as a side-effect, and I've noticed the same before, although it happens rarely to me, so yes.

I was put on Gabapentin a couple of years ago when I was in a severely depressive state. A few days later I admitted myself to hospital after experiencing unusual "whooshing" sensations when I moved my eyes (sorry, that's the only way I could describe it) and my feet went red and swollen.

My blood pressure was measured at 180/130 and my pulse rate was 140bmp. It was determined that I was allergic to the drug and I was ordered off it immediately. I recommend if you are experiencing tachycardia, get yourself checked right away. It might not be all you are experiencing.

I was put on Gabapentin a couple of years ago when I was in a severely depressive state. A few days later I admitted myself to hospital after experiencing unusual "whooshing" sensations when I moved my eyes (sorry, that's the only way I could describe it) and my feet went red and swollen.

My blood pressure was measured at 180/130 and my pulse rate was 140bmp. It was determined that I was allergic to the drug and I was ordered off it immediately. I recommend if you are experiencing tachycardia, get yourself checked right away. It might not be all you are experiencing.

I know exactly what you mean with the wooshing when you move your eyes. I get that too, and just assumed it was an ordinary side effect that came with dizziness. Actually, I kind of like it, too... but it's probably not good to like a side effect of a psych med. My feet are fine, but I think I'm going to check my blood pressure (I have a cuff at home and know how to use it) the next time I take the gabapentin and see what I get. Thanks for this post, it's a good warning. I'm going to be careful with this from now on, and if my blood pressure does skyrocket I'm going to stop taking it since my body is not tolerating it.

Thanks to everyone else for their posts, too.