• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Gababentin, with Ativan at night or 12 hours later?

jalara

Greenlighter
I need to be able to sleep, but wake up not so tired. Which way should I be taking Gababentin? With the Ativan at night or when I get up? Trying to wean off Ativan. I also take a Ambien at night.

Ativan being a benzodiazepine and Ambien being a benzo-like sedative sounds like plenty of sedation, if not too much. Ativan has a short/ medium duration of effects but a long half life so taking it at night has plenty of potential to cause a hangover effect esp with Ambien on top. Gabapentin can be stimulating in some but it's effects are short lived with a tolerance growing quickly. I see no benefit of taking the GP with the two other meds and and if anything would just add to the hangover. Save it for later in the day if anything. !2 hours sounds like a good idea.

If you have to take GP, take it during the day. You should get used to the side effects quick. At night, your almost asking for a benzodiazepine hangover. You can try takeing less Ativan or taking it earlier then the Ambien.

All your medications interact with the GABAergic system directly or indirectly.

You're taking two sedatives at night already--and never mind the gabapentin, I think it's a really bad idea to combine benzos and Z-drugs. Z-drugs like Ambien already have a nasty habit of sending users on naked 4am 7-11 nacho road trips with former pro-golfers, no need to add to your risk. Best to make a choice, one or the other.

As for gabapentin, it's pretty variable (between people) in it's sedative properties. Some people get knocked out on a dose I wouldn't even notice. I don't usually experience any sedative effects at all, unless circumstances are right (after dinner, watching a movie, eg.). I can walk around and shake it off no problem.

So your gabapentin timing would depend on why you're using it and how it affects you (it's an incredibly slow-onset drug, btw). If you're new to it, take it around noon to see what it feels like. For now, I'd avoid using it at night until you figure out your current sleep-aid.

ETA: I should've made clear, gabapentin is indirectly part of the same GABA family. These drugs are all synergistic and shouldn't be taken together--so if you find gabapentin is pleasantly sedating for you, consider using it in the evening after you've stopped the benzos and Z-drugs. It's not an add-on.

Last edited:
Ativan is actually a decent sleep med, it just has a slow
Onset, and clinical doses are less
Sedating than some other benzodiazepines;

Ambient is a Benzodiazepine (GABA-A) full receptor agonist, however unlike traditional Benzodiazepines it is selective for A1? lending it strong sedative/hypnotic effects at low-moderate doses, with only mild anti-anxiety and negligible anti-convulsant effects;

5-10mg of Ambien(Zopiclone) wears off so quickly it is unlikely to send you on a nacho trip :)

However, don’t know the point in mixing the two; what doses are you on?

And unless there is a legitimate reason for gabapentin, it is not necessary

Reply if need be

Ambien/zolpidem does have a short action, but there are lots of stories of folks making shaving-cream sundaes while blacked-out on the stuff.

(Also, it simply favors the alpha-1 subunit 10:1 over the others. Structurally it is NOT a benzo, even though it works like one, as a allosteric modulator (not an agonist))

Bottom line is OP needs to settle on one med for sleep. Sadly there aren't really any ideal sleep meds.

^^^ I said it was a “GABA-A receptor(aka: the Benzodiazepine receptors) full agonist; am well aware it is not Technically a Benzodiazepine; Fentanyl is not an opiate, however it is an opioid andMu receptor agonist

Adverse reactions are far from impossible , though if you can handle Lorazepam, extreme things like sleep walking are unlikely;

Remember Etizolam is a thienodiazepine, however it’s mechanism of action is pretty much the same as benzodiazepines(same receptors)

And all benzo’s are allosteric modulators, however they activate GABA-A receptors;

Nordazepam is a partial agonist, and apperantly Flurazepam; Most are full agonists.

Flumazenil is an antagonist at those receptors

Hydroxyzine is probably underrated for sleep, as a non-narcotic alternate, and seroquel knocks a lot of people out(though both have some degree of H1 activity, especially Hydroxyzine)

See my in-depth response in your other benzo thread, Lorne.

But this brings up an interesting point, since z-drugs are effectively semi-selective benzos, and you believe different benzos have "dramatically different effects", why couldn't the z-drugs make a person more likely to sleep-walk?

Sorry if I'm derailing, OP.
The consensus seems to be to try out the gabapentin in the daytime, and that it probably isn't the best sleep-aid.

IMO, you should try taking the gabapentin before bed. If it causes some hangover symptoms, you can take it earlier until you get the timing right. Gabapentin makes me a little groggy the next morning, but it's not bad at lower doses.

What doses of Ativan and Ambien are you on, and how long have you been taking Ativan? What other sleep aids have you tried? You might even be able to find something OTC that works for you. melatonin works for a lot of people

I think it's a really bad idea to combine benzos and Z-drugs. Z-drugs like Ambien already have a nasty habit of sending users on naked 4am 7-11 nacho road trips with former pro-golfers,

.,.,.,.,^this !

Myself and many others on BL have reported some amnestic, bizarre and even dangerous behavior on Z-drugs, especially Ambien. I would advise using caution regarding your zolpidem dosage as it can turn on you.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/520095-Ambien-and-sleepwalking-(z-drug)