• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

GABA withdrawal - is it possible?

TeeCee

Bluelighter
Hi, 5 months ago I detoxed off bupe, and about 6 weeks ago I stopped taking Mirtazapine after a taper. When I quit the bupe I started taking tyrosine, and a theanine tablet that also contains GABA, magnesium, Holy Basil Leaf and Taurine (when I bought it I didn't realise it contained these other ingredients). Anyhow, I stopped taking the theanine combo tablet about 3 days ago (I was running out of them), and since yesterday I've been all over the place emotionally, crying a lot, anxious, generally depressed.

The thing that sticks out to me is the GABA. I know it's not supposed to cross the Blood Brain Barrier, but neurotransmitters can play a role in other parts of the body. I'm wondering if anyone knows any more about this, or has had a similar experience? Maybe the GABA has been masking the withdrawal from the other meds? Coming off bupe and mirtazapine was generally pretty easy for me. Maybe these supplements have helped? I'm not sure. Maybe I should have considered a taper for this.

I would think your reaction would be more the theanine withdrawal than GABA withdrawal. Even theanine is very weak though.

Aah ok. Yeah i thought theanine would be quite weak too. Kinda hard to say. It might have also just been a coincidence, and my mood dipped anyway. Thanks for your reply.