• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GABA meds/herbs

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
Can anyone please kindly advise? I went back to kava to get through phenibut withdrawal for inbetween weekly dosing of phenibut. Now I don't like the effects of kava and I wish to stop it all. What can help me? I also have picamilon but it's a lot milder than phenibut. And I have diazepam, Lyrica and medicinal THC oil and flower.

Thank you for reading.

I went back to kava to get through phenibut withdrawal for inbetween weekly dosing of phenibut.
That kind of doesn't make pharmacological sense. First off Phenibut acts mostly at GABAB, not GABAA (like benzos, etc).
Second off, you shouldn't have withdrawals with weekly use of phenibut, assuming you mean once every 7 days.
Kava has several effects, none of which effect GABAB:
  • Potentiation of GABAA receptor activity (by kavain, dihydrokavain, methysticin, dihydromethysticin, and yangonin).
  • Inhibition of the reuptake of norepinephrine (by kavain and methysticin) and possibly also of dopamine (by kavain and desmethoxyyangonin).
  • Binding to the CB1 receptor (by yangonin). (This is the cannabinoid activity)
  • Inhibition of voltage-gated sodium channels and voltage-gated calcium channels (by kavain and methysticin). (This causes oral numbness)
  • Monoamine oxidase B reversible inhibition (by all six of the major kavalactones).

You should, in principle, be able to just stop taking kava-kava if it is small doses and not frequent usage. There are instances of kava addictions from heavy and continuous use, presumably because it is a GABAA activator, like benzodiazepines or others.

I would try to taper your usage slowly, or switch to just THC. Do not start taking Valium as you will no doubt just end up with a horrible benzo dependency.

You should, in principle, be able to just stop taking kava-kava if it is small doses and not frequent usage. There are instances of kava addictions from heavy and continuous use, presumably because it is a GABAA activator, like benzodiazepines or others.
My wife drinks kava everyday since giving up alcohol 8 years ago. She sips the mud all day through a straw. Totally non traditional as the mugs are usually slammed down quick by natives. But I often wonder if there is any benzo type withdrawal. She will take a day off at times and take gabapentin. But I wonder just how deep the gabaA hook could be with kava. Hopefully not too deep. Although if my wife is in another pickle then so be it. (married 20 years lol)

I love how that article played out. Too many people suing for their own bad choices. Damn USA. A lawyer for everything. People need to take their own responsibility.

I also just noticed, reading that article, that it has a glaring error.
"Addiction therapists, like Dr. Robert Moran, said Kava’s main ingredient – Kratom – is the real problem. An opiate, Kratom has been called addictive by the Drug Enforcement Administration, and Moran said he sees patients coming in with severe withdrawal symptoms."

Kava and kratom are, of course, two entirely seperate drugs with different effects...

> She will take a day off at times and take gabapentin
Gabapentin, despite the name, does not act at GABAA.

Maybe try valerian root.
Thank you for your reply and good suggestion. I have some valerian in a sleeping blend supplement so will try that. Today is my first day without it. I should be okay but I feel like I could get addicted to it. But the cost also restricts me so I won't be able to get it too often.

That kind of doesn't make pharmacological sense. First off Phenibut acts mostly at GABAB, not GABAA (like benzos, etc).
Second off, you shouldn't have withdrawals with weekly use of phenibut, assuming you mean once every 7 days.
Kava has several effects, none of which effect GABAB:
  • Potentiation of GABAA receptor activity (by kavain, dihydrokavain, methysticin, dihydromethysticin, and yangonin).
  • Inhibition of the reuptake of norepinephrine (by kavain and methysticin) and possibly also of dopamine (by kavain and desmethoxyyangonin).
  • Binding to the CB1 receptor (by yangonin). (This is the cannabinoid activity)
  • Inhibition of voltage-gated sodium channels and voltage-gated calcium channels (by kavain and methysticin). (This causes oral numbness)
  • Monoamine oxidase B reversible inhibition (by all six of the major kavalactones).

I would try to taper your usage slowly, or switch to just THC. Do not start taking Valium as you will no doubt just end up with a horrible benzo dependency.
Thank you for your reply and really good information. I just feel the need to alter my mind with whatever substance for some reason. It's probably lucky that I don't have access to "hard" drugs.

I also meant to say that I get like a down/depressed period between the dosing of weekly phenibut which I think is because of the phenibut. I think I will not repurchase it and try to get off it as it's not even having a very good effect any more.

I will just stick with Lyrica and valerian and THC to cope with things when I am off it now. It's probably not so much withdrawal as craving more of the stuff. I had no idea there were 6 kavalactones. That's very interesting.

Last edited:
> She will take a day off at times and take gabapentin
Gabapentin, despite the name, does not act at GABAA.

Yes that much I know. Was wondering just how strong kava is on GABAA if at all. It it were I am thinking we would see a lot of issues the Polynesian islands where families are known to drink it everyday. I somehow doubt that kava can be anywhere near as strong as say alprazolam. But always wondered if it even touched that area.

Oh yeah, that article confusing kratom and kava is just bad journalism. Nobody cares about accuracy anymore. We have CEO's of companys totally comfortable with bad info and misspellings on memos.