• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fycompa (perampanel) reports?

Domnule

Greenlighter
I posted a thread asking about people's experiences with fycompa a while back and was shut down immediately with 'you have epilepsy and do drugs? Dont'. I know that this is a harm prevention site but perhaps I should give more background and make myself clear...
I was a heroin addict for 15 years before getting in a car wreck in which I received a traumatic brain injury (caused epilepsy) and a hangman's fracture (C2 vertabra in my neck broken)... so, yes I do drugs- acquiring a traumatic brain injury isn't going to change that. I also have a masters in ochem... I'm not asking because I'm a kid who just got them prescribed and know they are scheduled. I asked out of curiosity because I didn't not see much recreational value in fycompa (one of 3 drugs that control my epilepsy along with clonazepam and clobazam). I was wondering if anyone else has experience with it. Is this a case of government overregulation (seems common with antiepileptic meds lately). For some reason this med is schedule III. Any anecdotal experiences with this med?
Thank you

Last edited:
I have no experience with this drug but reading the Wikipedia article was interesting... it works as an antagonist of the AMPA subset of glutamate receptors and apparently can cause euphoria and ”ketamine-like effects” at higher doses which is interesting.

ketamine is an antagonist at the NMDA receptor which is another subtype of glutamate receptor. I didn’t realise AMPA antagonists could have similar effects to NMDA antagonists (I.e dissociatives).

if you were to experiment with this drug then I would suggest first doing your own comprehensive research and then slowly increase the dose from your therapeutic dose a little at a time

Thanks! Yes, it is a very interesting substance and currently the only epilepsy med that works on the AMPA and lesser extent NMDA receptor. One time I took 20mg (prescribed 4mg daily) and had a slight time dilation and some vision changes but nothing too extreme... from my experience and in my opinion it shouldn't have been schedule 3 here in the US... perhaps scheduled at 5 with pregabalin but there have been quite a few new medications that they seem to have overreacted on and overregulated.

The side effects profile definitely sounds reminiscent of an NMDA antagonist. I'm going to have to do some serious research into AMPA antagonists. I'm epileptic as well (adult onset epilepsy; genetic, runs in the family, my mother, brother and sister all have it as well, in addition to both grandparents on my mother's side) which is well controlled with alprazolam and levetiracetam. Perampanel sounds like I might have to give it a go...

Yeah, give it a try. It works for my epilepsy along with clonazepam, and clobazam. I was prescribed levetiracetam as well when I first got my TBI but didnt need it after the perampanel... another good thing about perampanel is you only take it 1x a day. It has a pretty long half life.

And I'm sorry you have epilepsy... it sucks. I was in much more pain from the seizures than the broken neck or the head injury

A 105 hour half life is insane. That makes me a little more nervous about trying it at a recreational level...

Edit: removed incorrect link

Last edited:
Exactly. That makes me weary of trying it recreationally.
I noticed that I only got the mild spacey recreational effects the first couple days that I took it. Within a week it seems to have built up in my system and normalized. Any time I have taken more than prescribed since I am extra drowsy the whole next day.

I just found this:
"Perampanel is a controlled substance that can cause physical and psychological dependence, and should be used with caution in patients with known, suspected, or a history of substance abuse or drug addiction. During studies of substance abuse potential among recreational drug users, supra-therapeutic doses of perampanel 24 or 36 mg produced euphoria similar to ketamine 100 mg and alprazolam 3 mg. Patients taking perampanel 24 or 36 mg or ketamine 100 mg had comparable responses on visual analog scales for feeling "high", and those taking perampanel had significantly greater responses than those taking alprazolam 1.5 or 3 mg. Dissociative phenomena, including sensations of "floating", being "spaced out", and "detached" were similar between supra-therapeutic doses of perampanel and ketamine 100 mg, and greater than alprazolam 1.5 or 3 mg."...

I have never exceeded ~20mg so I am not sure what to think of that... I do love my dissos and benzos but I dont know. I always have more than necessary because I forget to take them occasionally and the half life is long enough... perhaps I will write a proper report

Last edited:
Before I received the head injury i had a terrible addiction to clonazolam. It did not stop my seizures. It wasn't until my current cocktail of medications that my life returned to normal. I had to do a pretty brutal taper to be comfortable on my clonazepam and clobazam prescriptions. I am currently on a relatively low dose of Perampanel, my benzos, and on a Methadone maintenance program- for the most part, my life has returned to normal. The seizures have stopped and my benzo dependence is under control. I even am taking advantage of my degree and have a job in a cannabis lab. Fycompa, clonazepam, clobazam, and methadone have made my life as normal as possible normal.
I decided 'fuck it' and just took 32mg of the Fycompa (highest I've taken before was 20mg so it's not at all an extreme raise in ths dose. I will have some kind of report for everyone tomorrow. Just so it's known- none of this has anything to do with the forum- I would have given this a try with or without any input on the subject.
Thank everyone for the input on the subject- I will include my report on this thread tomorrow after the drowsiness has subsided. Talk to you all tomorrow!

Before I received the head injury i had a terrible addiction to clonazolam. It did not stop my seizures. It wasn't until my current cocktail of medications that my life returned to normal. I had to do a pretty brutal taper to be comfortable on my clonazepam and clobazam prescriptions. I am currently on a relatively low dose of Perampanel, my benzos, and on a Methadone maintenance program- for the most part, my life has returned to normal. The seizures have stopped and my benzo dependence is under control. I even am taking advantage of my degree and have a job in a cannabis lab. Fycompa, clonazepam, clobazam, and methadone have made my life as normal as possible normal.
I decided 'fuck it' and just took 32mg of the Fycompa (highest I've taken before was 20mg so it's not at all an extreme raise in ths dose. I will have some kind of report for everyone tomorrow. Just so it's known- none of this has anything to do with the forum- I would have given this a try with or without any input on the subject.
Thank everyone for the input on the subject- I will include my report on this thread tomorrow after the drowsiness has subsided. Talk to you all tomorrow!

Best of luck in this endeavor, I'll be very interested to see how you're doing in 24, 48, 72 hours, etc...

Sorry, I spilled caustic soda on my phone haha...
32mg feels like a small dose of ketamine.
My depth perception was off, a slight dissociation, and put me in high spirits.
But, like Anonymous Dissident brought up, it's long half life is a concern for recreational use. I woke up groggy and was kind of stumbly at work. By the time work was over- about 24hrs after ingestion- I felt as if it had worn off... but then I smoked some cannabis and was back to the spatial distortion and stumbles.
32mg is a high dose that I would not recommend to someone who is not at all familiar with this medication. Perhaps start lower.
All in all, this is a very interesting medication. It's recreational value isn't too high but I see why it is scheduled.

Thanks for sharing! I had never heard of this drug, I had to look it up.

Of course- I'm glad to contribute. I've learned a lot from these forums.
I dont contribute as much here as I do the vespiary but I am on here a lot

Thanks! Yes, it is a very interesting substance and currently the only epilepsy med that works on the AMPA and lesser extent NMDA receptor. One time I took 20mg (prescribed 4mg daily) and had a slight time dilation and some vision changes but nothing too extreme... from my experience and in my opinion it shouldn't have been schedule 3 here in the US... perhaps scheduled at 5 with pregabalin but there have been quite a few new medications that they seem to have overreacted on and overregulated.
Not true, topamax targets ampa aswell! I know Im late to the party but I thought Id throw that out there.

Funny that this drug is schedule III, I couldn't quickly find any real case reports of abuse or dependence.

Sucks for the manufacturer of this drug. Imagine being the developer of a drug that has low abuse potential and the FDA slapped a CIII on it.

Funny that this drug is schedule III, I couldn't quickly find any real case reports of abuse or dependence.

Sucks for the manufacturer of this drug. Imagine being the developer of a drug that has low abuse potential and the FDA slapped a CIII on it.
i can think of way to many needlessly controlled meds, the orexin antagonists such as belsomra/quiviviq, then we have more anticonvulsants such as briveracetam, lacosamide and fenfluramine. Then we got viberzi for ibs, completely useless recreationally imho. Scheduling these meds just forced people through unnecessary hoops in order to get there meds, absolutely ridiculous!