• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Furanoeudesma-1,3-diene: Novel opioid receptor modulator?

wungchow

Bluelighter
opoponax2.jpg

I recently saw an article in Chemical & Engineering News that mentioned this molecule. It occurs naturally in myrrh resin. Seems as though it mediates activity at opioid receptors through an unknown mechanism.

They found that furanodiene was not effective, but that furanoeudesma-1,3-diene and curzarene increased the amount of pain tolerance in the mice. Further testing done by these researchers “…suggested that furanoeudesma-1,3-diene may affect opioid receptors in brain membranes, which influence the perception of pain”
(Nature 1996, 379, 29)

Here is a Google Books result that goes a little bit more in depth.

"Furanoeudesma-1,3-diene isolated from myrrh showed significant analgesic properties in mice when administered by intracerebroventricular injection at 1.25 mg/kg body weight or orally at 50 mg/kg in the hot plate test, and also at 50 mg/kg in the writhing test. The analgesic effects were reversed by naloxone at 1 mg/kg."

Wow, not very potent. I'd guess it'd be an agonist, but who knows; I don't think anyone has a good understanding of the SAR of non-alkaloidal mu agonists.

My hunch is that it would be fairly easy to produce a potent analog. Structure is intriguing though, never seen a mu-agonist like it.

I dunno, it's pretty simple, but this was administered intracerebroventricularly. That means that solubility-altering modifications won't be beneficial, at least not as as long as it's administered via this route.

I don't doubt something could be done to improve it somewhat, but something this weak when administered intracerebroventricularly doesn't raise a lot of hope in my mind.

Keep in mind they were also administering naloxone in the same dosage range, 1 mg/kg, which lends me to believe it would be active in humans in the 500-1000 mg range.

This "furanoeudesma-1,3-diene and carazene (sp?)" stuff looks interesting. And I know of a site that sells a good material of it. Have any of you guys tried these chemicals?

Again, why are peeople bringing up old threads with source insinuations.......

what are u bibble blabbing about?! I am just asking if anyone has tried taking this "mhyrr" stuff

If they had tried it and it was actually active more than placebo I'm sure I would have heard of it by now (or myrrh would be banned). And even mentioning a source is frowned upon here.

Myrrh smells nice but I think calling it psychoactive is a bit of a jump.

I'll smoke it more often now

This "furanoeudesma-1,3-diene and carazene (sp?)" stuff looks interesting. And I know of a site that sells a good material of it. Have any of you guys tried these chemicals?

I literally just tried this combo. Smoked myrrh alone and then put a little on a bit of herb so it didn't drip down my pipes holes.

I definitely feel a bit euphoric and calm. I have an extremely bad knee from long boarding and it feels wonderful right now. Also, I live in Bakersfield, CA., which has extremely bad air quality, normally my nose is stuffed 24/7, but I can actually breath normally right now. My lungs feels more open and I feel more invigorated. If it weren't almost 1 in the morning when I tried it, I would be outside walking around. Makes me feel a bit more social, normally I don't post to sites; don't even have a social media account. I literally just created this account to respond to you.

I didn't smoke much, but of course I have no tolerance to this new drug.

This has nothing to do with your post, but explains why I smoked it
by the by---I got this sample of myrrh about 14-15 years ago when my brother was stationed in Bahrain during the WoT. He brought it back home for the family and somehow I got dibs. I have actually used a bit throughout the years for romantic ambiance, Christian women melt for myrrh. Recently I have become Atheist and now watch Atheist-centric youtube videos from time to time. I watched a post that led me to another site that listed the ingredients in the biblical holy oil. The site listed the effects of the ingredients, myrrh being one of them. I decided to smoke the myrrh to see what effects it might have on the "holy men" of that time for reference.