• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Fucked tenancy situation - advice?

Flickering

Bluelighter
So, earlier in the year while I was out of money and out of a house, I found somewhere quick with some friends, only I wasn't on the lease. I was fine subletting, as far as I was concerned no one would have to know, and why should anything go wrong. I make rent or time, I don't make too much noise, I tidy up, so what's the problem?

A month into this arrangement, I learn I'm an idiot. It isn't my friends, they're great. But, the landlady introduces herself, and this girl is a walking talking cunt. I'm not even kidding, there is just the ugliest vagina I have ever seen where her head's meant to be. She comes in one day unannounced for an inspection, claiming to have sent a letter that we didn't get, walks around the place making snide comments, insinuates we're stoned (falsely, and there was no weed in the house) and leaves saying it needs tidying up (it was fucking clean). I can't stress how much everything about her fucking attitude pissed me off. I'm not usually a vindictive person, but even if I had've just met her on the street, I would've wanted to slash her tires.

Next thing we know, she's sent us a letter telling everyone not on the lease to get on it, and any drugs in the house need to be removed or she'll call the police, and she's coming around this Thursday AND Friday to check and it had better be fucking spotless when she arrives!

Things I wanna know:

Should I get on the lease? I'm surprised and a little suspicious it's even being offered. I really would rather find another place but my friends are set on staying.
Who told her about the drugs? There weren't any in the house.
If there was pot in the house, why would that mean a visit from the police?
Where do people like this even spawn from?

Fuuuuck

Yep. I know the type. She's cocky from many experiences where she has prevailed I assume. She's learned how to be a "B" from tenants taking advantage (justifiable or not) of her, plus her natural innate ability to be an a-hole and she is loving the "power trip" to the point of becoming unbearable. She thinks she's untouchable and she can get away with treating people however she wants.

I would probably just get out unless you want to go to war with her, and if you have the truth on your side--that is very important. The deck favors the house (landlords) unfortunately and you not being on the lease puts you at a considerable disadvantage. You do however, have rights, although not as much as she. Having said all that, it sounds like she may have made some mistakes due to over confidence and she may have gotten "sloppy" in her zeal to screw you over. Would I be correct in thinking that maybe you live in a state with strict anti-cannabis laws, and somebody smelled pot or saw what they thought was smoke coming from your place/car/or common area, etc. and snitched you out? And that incident gave her reasonable suspicion that something illegal was going on in the apartment, and that gave her all the ammo she needed to look for further evidence of criminal activity? Even if it didn't happen that's what she could say to get into your place and snoop around, get enough dirt on you to do what she capriciously wants.

You could do a little research on tenants rights in your state (I'm sure you've obviously looked into to it a little) and you don't have the five thousand to retain counsel either I bet, who does? What state do you live in btw? I can look up some statutes, it's too bad you don't live in Antarctica. lol, you'd have less idiots in your life making you miserable. I'd need some more info about the incident(s), but I could do some legal research if you think it would help. Is it worth it to you? I ask because I'm not emotionally involved, I've got nothing to lose. Not saying you do but stuff may come out if you have to go to court. But, besides the personality conflict between you two, you sincerely believe you are in the right (I'm sorry, I have to ask) and you can prove it, and you and/or roommates have documentation of the facts? Please start writing down anything you think might be important so you have all the pertinent stuff on paper. You will need it if you are going to go to battle with her.

If you're wondering, I have a paralegal degree, I can't give legal advice, but I can tell you what the laws are in your state, and I would be doing this for free. If it gets over my head, I'll let you know. Anyway, good luck! If you're wondering why...I hate losers that bully.

Last edited:
So, earlier in the year while I was out of money and out of a house, I found somewhere quick with some friends, only I wasn't on the lease. I was fine subletting, as far as I was concerned no one would have to know, and why should anything go wrong. I make rent or time, I don't make too much noise, I tidy up, so what's the problem?

A month into this arrangement, I learn I'm an idiot. It isn't my friends, they're great. But, the landlady introduces herself, and this girl is a walking talking cunt. I'm not even kidding, there is just the ugliest vagina I have ever seen where her head's meant to be. She comes in one day unannounced for an inspection, claiming to have sent a letter that we didn't get, walks around the place making snide comments, insinuates we're stoned (falsely, and there was no weed in the house) and leaves saying it needs tidying up (it was fucking clean). I can't stress how much everything about her fucking attitude pissed me off. I'm not usually a vindictive person, but even if I had've just met her on the street, I would've wanted to slash her tires.

Next thing we know, she's sent us a letter telling everyone not on the lease to get on it, and any drugs in the house need to be removed or she'll call the police, and she's coming around this Thursday AND Friday to check and it had better be fucking spotless when she arrives!

Things I wanna know:

Should I get on the lease? I'm surprised and a little suspicious it's even being offered. I really would rather find another place but my friends are set on staying.
Who told her about the drugs? There weren't any in the house.
If there was pot in the house, why would that mean a visit from the police?
Where do people like this even spawn from?

Fuuuuck

Knowing what country you live in may help tailor some advice, as every country is different.

We got a letter from the agent recently, quoting the Tenancy Act. First thing, I DL'd it and found they were talking shit. So I went back to our lease and still they were talking shit. So I emailed back (never use the phone with such types, you want the evidence in writing) explaining that nowhere could I find the paragraph they were quoting. I got an email back saying it was obviously done by accident. Like... right - someone made up a paragraph that made us into the fall guys and then quoted it WITH section number? Obviously in the hope we would tremble in fear and rush out to pay the bills for the landlord. :D

Get your local Act/Bill and READ it. Get the lease and read through that - claiming to have sent a letter is NOT valid anywhere unless she registered it.

Yeah man, it's a notorious industry. Like the general attitude of corporations towards workers, landlords tend to see their tenants as financial resources who they have leverage over both in terms of knowledge and legal power. They're not all like that, but it's an unfortunate trend.

In my case, she pulled that old trick where she demanded we fix or pay for something that was broken before we moved in. Fortunately my housemates were savvy enough to have taken dated photographs of the whole place on arrival, so that shit didn't fly.

My situation resolved itself without too much trouble. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I only just now saw anybody replied. We pretended to give in to her list of demands, then after her next inspection, we immediately stocked the house with various substances out of a kind of spite, and hosted obnoxiously loud conversations outside about the stupidity of drug prohibition for the benefit of whichever neighbour dobbed us in. And I'm still not on the lease, but I'm still here. *shrug*

I appreciate the advice and the offer, Quimby. Thanks. Actually a couple of my friends are lawyers, and though none of them work in that sector, I also turned to them for general advice. They said much the same thing: know your rights, and record everything. Lesson learned. Also yes, you're spot-on about this lady's temperament.