• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Frustrated Aussie wants straight answers

losthippy

Bluelighter
Guday all. This is aimed at readers living in places where cannabis has either been decriminalized, legalized or is otherwise tolerated. Here in Oz we still bleat about loosening up our draconian laws, but our politicians lack the spine to push any such agendas. Any sniff of reform here is squashed by laws that hit us where it hurts most - driving.

The fact is that we live in a big country and most of us need to drive. Public transport is not an option in the countryside where much of the population lives. We have rolling RBT (roadside breathalyzer testing for alcohol) operations across all states that integrate saliva testing for the presence of cannabis, meth and mdma. As far as the authorities are concerned they're all illegal drugs so they're all the same. If you test positive, even for a trace, you lose your licence for 3 months. The associated fines are also a handy revenue stream for the States' coffers.

I've traveled throughout Europe, Canada and the States where pot is no longer demonized, and I need to know how your lawmakers deal with the matter of 'sobriety' when it comes to driving. RBT's are a fact of life here and ambivalent Joe Citizen swallows the media line that they are necessary to keep us all safe on the roads which, in nearly every respect, is laudable. Chances are, if you drive, you'll be tested sometime or other. But as most of us know, cannabis residuals hang around in the body long after the active effects have worn off, and this is good enough to cost Aussies their licence.

Given how many of you in the rest of the world drive with detectable cannabinoid levels in your system, how does your LE and officialdom deal with it? More's the point, how did you get the ball rolling? How did you sway the conservatives and wowsers? Was there anarchy and carnage on the roads when the laws changed? I'm sure a bunch of Aussies would love to hear how you did it so we can drag ourselves out of the dark ages, too. Please, talk it up. Cheers in advance.

Mods, if this is the wrong place to post my query, bump it where you need to.

I don't think saliva testing has ever been a thing anywhere in the US. Half of the country wouldn't be able to drive, and like y'all it's a necessity here. I feel so sorry for y'all and would never in a million years move to Australia :( Weed is still very much illegal in my state but I smell it coming from cars all the time when I'm driving with the top down in my convertible. Hell I remember in college, we had nowhere else to smoke but my buddy's old Honda when we were freshman, we'd drive around and smoke literally every night.

I don't know how y'all could reverse such laws in a place where such laws are implemented in the first place. People supported their institution when they're clearly immoral...

Saliva testing? I'm in the NYC area and I have never heard of such a thing! Weed is illegal to buy where i live if you don't have a medical card, but I can drive to Massachusetts and purchase it legally. What a downer that they are so strict where you live!

Although I'm not willing to share the state I live in I do have a medical card from the state I live in, but it isn't recreationally legal here "yet". However, I'm confident it will be a "wrong made right" and hopefully sooner than later. I really hope we can all push this thing all the way to the finish line.

Come to think of it, I was just commenting in another thread how incredibly grateful I am to be able to:
1) Go to a legal website for my local dispensary and look through their current selection of cannabis flower.
2) Take an 8 minute drive and walk into a super nice store with a great staff ready to make sure I walk out with exactly what I need.
3) And lastly, take that beautiful bud I just bought home and light up, LEGALLY! So sweet.

Much progress has been made, for which we should all be happy with, but the fight is not over. If this is something you feel strongly about, please use your power at the voting booth and let's but people in office who will vote the people's will. Sorry I kinda digressed at the end of my post, it's just something I feel very strongly about. Sorry mate but you guys really do have some high mountains to climb. I do wish all you Aussies (Place cheer here - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!) all the luck in the world going forward.

The kick here is that we have very few celebrations or links to cannabis culture here in Oz- at least not those willing to get in the public gaze or advocate for reform. It just puts too much heat on people from every direction. Cannabis consumers are aplenty here and for the most part not unlike Canadians or Alaskans or the Dutch re. the way they fit it into their routines - seamlessly from what I saw. Our laws here really do penalize users in so many ways, but at the top of the pile sits the drug-driving thing. Despite having no scale of impairment to refer to, the message is that no level of impairment is acceptable, and who can argue with that? I just can't see how there could be a reversal on that kind of logic, which puts us back to square one. So, how the fuck did you guys get away with it? Do your laws make allowances for driving with cannabis in your system, as in for medicinal needs, or is it simply not an issue? We seriously need a clue here.

We got on the go saliva tests herw in the uk its ok though you just carry half a shot of listerine some lemon juice and vinegar swirl it around chew on some gum and casually light up a cigarate bish bash bosh feds cant merk me

^that shite work. We got em in MI, or are threatened with them at least. In fact we adopted a whole bunch of laws from Joe Arpaio super psycho.