• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Friend of mine couldn't talk for 2 days after codeine?

simonlepret

Greenlighter
A friend of mine refuses to go to a hospital, but lost the ability to talk for 2 days after drinking prometh codeine syrup. Is this consistent with overdose symptoms? He is now able to talk and seems a little withdrawn, but slowly going back to normal. I'm very worried, any insight would be helpful. Could he have incurred serious brain damage?

Edit: Dose was completely unmeasured and definitely excessive.

not much to offer but a friend of mine experienced facial paralysis after snorting codeine phosphate 30mgs (on the same side he was insuffulating)

he recovered a week later but your friend needs to go hospital asap regardless

I don't think it's likely that an oral dose of codeine could kick your ass like that.. it just doesn't hold up as far as the class of opioid Codeine falls into. I'd be more thinking his liver rejected the byproduct (whatever the rest of the contents of the syrup) and he had a pretty bad panic attack.

I've definitely not left the house for a few days after a nasty one..

Codeine OD would have left him with respiratory failure, nausea, vomiting.. all the good shit that overdoing opiates leaves you with.

edit: if you think your buddy is worse for wear then by all means get it checked out by a professional - like everyone says, the least it can do is give peace of mind.

Did he lose consciousness, or stop beathing for an extended period of time? These would be the two things that would most likely cause brain damage..
But as far as not being able to speak, I've never heard of that one...

A friend of mine got a TIA like symptoms from ethylmorphine syrup and as a result had trouble speaking for a few days. Did he seem like having a seizure during any phase?

His usage history/tolerance would be good info to know too..

^ Could be.. Can they produce a full smile? Can they lift both arms? If not then yes, get to the er!