• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Frequency of MDMA use & effects compared to methamphetamine

junk!e

Greenlighter
I have never been a big user of MDMA so I didn’t know much about it, but recently I’ve tried it out a bit more and of course when you read anything about it it’s made pretty clear by almost everyone that you should space out your use. I usually see people say wait about 3-6 months. I understand there are risks of damage that are less likely if you space it out, and i also see a ton of talk about “losing the magic” if you use too often. I guess I’d like to know more about the general reasons for doing this specifically with MDMA. I know there are definitely differences between the substances, but I have abused meth pretty heavily on and off and was wondering what the differences in effects on the brain are (long term, short term, damage, etc). I’d appreciate really any and all info since it’s one drug i hadn’t had a ton of experience in.

Part of your confusion is that MDMA and Methamphetamine act differently pharmacologically. Both release serotonin (particularly MDMA) and both trigger the release of dopamine efflux into the neurotransmitters. They effectively have a cross-tolerance since they are so similar in their method of action while having an amphetamine effect vs an entactogenic effect. Both cause severe neurotoxicity when used frequently.

Moderation is always key no matter the stimulant.

Good luck!

Meth doesn't increase serotonin so much. Also meth is a drug associated mostly with crime and abuse while MDMA is associated more with recreation and therapy, i.e more responsibility and an overall greater concern over brain damage. These could be explanations.

I think it could well be true that meth (and plain amphetamine) should have guidelines like that too. I'm skeptical of everyday use and stimulant prescriptions.