• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Forced to abruptly get off subutex. Thinking of going intramuscular. Please help

mooms419

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. this is my first post here. I am a 32yo male who has been on buprenorphine, everyday, in some form or another for the past 14 years.

Recently this past January my mother passed away unexpectedly. This has been an incredible psychological blow to me and my 2 brothers. We lost our father about 2 years ago now and really weren't completely over that. But besides that, beacause I have no insurance ( the insurance I at the place I work at is rediculously overpriced ), my mother has been my supply of subutex for the past few years. She received 60 a month from her pain management doctor and neither of us took more than a pill a day. Right before she died I was taking about two-thirds, 2/3 of and 8mg pill per day so approximately 5.3mg daily. Since then I've come down to 4mg daily and I have 10 pills remaining. Now the bio-availability of sublingual buprenorphine is around 30% and insufflation around 50%. Obviously IV would be 100% and IM probably not to far behind it in the high 90s if not 100%.

Currently I take 2mg in the morning and 2mg later in the day. I was just curious on your thoughts about IMing the last few pills to stretch the taper longer. I definetly can't IV because absolutely mangled my arm banging a little piece of one. So thats completely of the table. Also I googled shooting subutex and saw a really narly picture of a guy banged it and it really fucked up his hands. However I could get away with IMing it.

I am prescribed xanax at 3mg/day but really before my mom died I was at a pretty consistent 6-8mg (I buy my buddys script, who gets prescribed 60 bars/month, every few months ) a day but recently since my mother died I've been taking way more up to 12mg/day which I'm working on bring back down to 6-8mg. So I have a stash of around 200+ bars and I'm prescribed 90 1mg xanax per month so at least I have that to help, although I gotta bring my dose down because anything over about 12mg doesn't really produce any more sedation/relaxation. I do have pretty severe panic disorder, and up until my mothers passing was using them responsibly albeit at a high dose ( I drive a fork lift for a living so any hint of me being intoxicated would be caught immediately, luckily they haven't noticed my recent dose increase, however it makes me very irritable at work sometimes ). I doubt I'll have a problem bringing it back down to 6-8mg/day relatively quickly, so that when I completely run out of the bupe higher doses of xanax will actually be effective.

The way I look at it at this point is the subs are really doing nothing for me at this point other than insuring I don't use other opioids. The reason I started using them in the first place was because they made me feel awesome, but more importantly they relieved my very severe anxiety ( I was in high school or recently graduated at this point in my life ). At this point I have no desire to use opioids since the xanax with some weed controls my anxiety pretty well, and buying heroin or pills off the street is like playing russian roulette these days. Its time to get off wether I like it or not either way. I'm open to any thoughts/suggestions, feed back of any kind. I have tried in the past to get off on my own and the longest I was ever able to make it to was like maybe 5-6 days, at that point the constant akathisia became to much and I would give in. I don't think I've ever been more scared of anything. I have to work since because my mothers death occured at the beginning of the year I had to use all of my paid time off for the week of the funeral. My employer knows I'm prescribed xanax but doesn't know I also take subs. I have a relationship with my superiors that is good enough where I could explain whats going on and they would understand, but I would rather not have every one at my job ( Its a smaller company so there is alot of gossip ) knowing my buisiness.

So what do you guys think of me IMing the bupe to extend my supply? I have IMed other pills without any real problems other than pain at the injection site but it was never something I made a habit of doing. So If anyone who has experience with shooting bupe could post there toughts I would be incredibly greatful. Also, I was thinking about transitioning to kratom. I have a smoke shop a block from my house that sells really high end kratom. The guy swears buy the shit. He was a major dope head back when oxycontin was first on the market and was getting prescribed massive amounts of shit.

I just would like to thank anyone who responds to this thread in any capacity in advance. Feeling like I'm not going through this alone is what I feel will make it or break it for me. Its awesome that this is a place I can come to with a problem like this since my mom is gone.

Last edited:
Never IM a pill. They're full of insoluble binders and fillers that are almost impossible to filter out.

Those particles can cause infection, capillary blockage, and all sorts of nastiness up in your muscle.

I would never IM street heroin or street coke for this very same reason.

Hey there, sorry to hear about what you're going through. It's true that you should never IM pills, because of the reasons simstim stated. If you must attempt it, you absolutely MUST get micron wheel filters. But even then, IMing pills is more dangerous than IVing pills due to the risk of abscesses and capillary blockages.

My recommendation is either get a prescription (though since you have no insurance, it might be prohibitively expensive), or rapidly taper. You should be able to get by on 1mg twice per day pretty readily, and the lower you can drop your dose, the longer it will last, and the easier the jump off will be.

Worst case scenario, you might be able to get on methadone, if the problem is that you are afraid of going to street opiates (which would be a terrible idea given that almost all of the heroin and "oxys" are fentanyl now)

Well I've been IMing for the past few days so that sucks to here, I figured it would be safer than IV. So far no infections or negative side effects and I've been doing this for like a week now. I'm afraid to tell my psychiatrist ( pay $100 per visit for a script of 90 1mg xanax ). I'm afraid he would cut me off of the xanax, but either way the script itself would be to expensive. So I guess I should try and IV the shit because the sublingual bio availability of bupe is shit ( around 30%). I have 3 pills left. Was gonna shoot 2 and sniff the last one since the bioavailability of insufflated bupe is around %50 I figured that would be a good way to lower the dose to as low as possible before hoping off. I'm down to shooting 1mg twice a day.

You only have a little bit left, right? Is the idea that you won't be getting more and are trying to go as low as possible before being forced to jump off? In that case, yeah you're taking risks with injecting, but at least it will only be a little bit longer. Injecting bupe is not a long-term viable solution. But yeah, IVing is somewhat safer. Neither is safe.

Do you have micron filters at least? That makes it far safer, though as mentioned, still not safe.

Yea the idea is that I won't be getting anymore, I have no desire to do opioids, so I'm trying to make what I have last as long as possible. I don't have any micron filters and have just been using cotton from a cotton ball as a filter. Also the only needles I have are IM needles so trying to IV with them is challenging ( and I don't have much experience shooting up with a proper rig either, I was never an intravenous user. I just IVed 1mg, but I'm afraid I may have missed the shot. Its probably me being paranoid. I got a good register dark red/brownish blood in the syringe then pushed. I feel a little bump under the injections sight but I also felt the bupe when I shot it so I'm not sure.

Where could I aquire some proper needles for IVing ( and what would I even ask for, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to needles). I was thinking about going to walgreens and asking for some, what do you guys think about that?

I don't know much about needles, since I don't use them. But we're allowed to talk about how to get clean needles here so maybe someone else will.

I know you can get insulin needles. They're very small gauge, no idea how that works out for IV

Bupe in any pharma form hardens veins. Seems like a nasty compound to shoot.

I know that it is used for pain control in some countries. I believe the name of the brand name injectable form of bupe is buprenex which is a solution designed for IV/IM injection. Or are you only referring to bupe tablets/strips?

In my experience sublingual is the most effective method, I have snorted and I.v buprenorphine. I have never done it into a muscle as I hear even slightly missing a vien is extremely dangerous.

My prescribers are trying to push me onto sublucade injections instead of pills but I don't know if I like that idea.

Well I guess I got lucky. I've been doing strictly IV shots. So far no issues in the areas I did the IM shots in so I'm hoping for the best.

Also I notice an absolutely massive difference between sublingual and IV/IM. I even notice a pretty big difference between sublingual and insufflation.

Well I guess I got lucky. I've been doing strictly IV shots. So far no issues in the areas I did the IM shots in so I'm hoping for the best.

Also I notice an absolutely massive difference between sublingual and IV/IM. I even notice a pretty big difference between sublingual and insufflation.
Does IV give you a rush