• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids For those who have successfully tapered off of methadone, how did you do it?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I'm about ready to start climbing down off my dose. I should be receiving take homes next week so I plan on doing an at home taper and basically stock piling my excess methadone and hopefully reaching a point of not needing it anymore...

I don't want the taper to last forever, so I was thinking drop 10mg a week, from 120 mg, which will take me 12 weeks or 3 months if I am successful.

I feel like I won't really notice till maybe I hit 80 mg, and then from 80-50 it'll be kind of bad, but bareable.

I feel that from 50 mg to 0 will definitely be the hardest, and I'm guessing that the first 3 days after dropping my dose will be painful.

I could do 5 mg a week, but honestly I think that's just too much time.

Thoughts?

You stockpiling it might not be a good idea.
After getting my tolerance down my thought process would go something like this "Well, i have all this methadone and my tolerance is low so i can just once do triple the dose i used to do before i started tapering my dose!"
And we know how it goes.
50 to 0 why? Maybe you're asking too much from yourself. Just go from 50 to 30 and then to 10 or something like that. Maybe drop to 25 from 50 and then try to quit.
Half life of methadone is anyways so long, that you might as well go every other dosage drop 2 weeks so you can really feel how the effects are in the dosage dropping and according to that.
You setting some time frame for this to quit sounds really dumb. Give you the time you need.
Be careful and good luck.

I did a pretty rapid taper from 140mg down to nothing over 2 months. With that said, I was only on that dose for 2 months. I dropped by 20mg a week and though it was painful as hell after I went below 100mg, it was still doable. I also supplemented with 5mg Valium, four times a day - so 20mg per day for the first month. In the second month I dropped to 10mg valium per day. The third month I was on no methadone and just tapered off the valium by 2mg increments over 2 weeks.

I think your taper plan sounds reasonable and achievable, though I don't know how long you've been on methadone. I had a 3 year Heroin habit, then just used methadone for as short a time as possible (4 months total, including tapering time) and got clean from opiates. I am really happy I didn't stay on methadone for too long and I know I made the right decision to taper fairly rapidly.

Best of luck to you!

I'm not off but at 13mg from 100 with no withdrawals.
When I was on 100 i dropped 10mg a week painlessly. Just don't think about it, that alone makes it worse imo.
I was on for a little over 2 years and I will be off soon.
Good luck and remember everyone is different. Some may feel it for you it may be easy because you haven't been on it that long
Your mind is very powerful. Don't dwell on your dose dropping .
Good luck

I went from 80-160 mg per day to 40mg per day, then 10-20 mg per day for a few days, then went to zero

It was hell; after 2-3 days cold turkey I switched to Suboxone, because I NEVER planned on quitting opioids. I am going through wd as we speak

Anyway, drop every 2 weeks as mentioned and take as long as you need

If you insist on a rapidly taper, then post or pm and I will tell you in detail how I survived it. Klonopin and GABA pentin (or ESPECIALLY Lyrica) do wonders

Good 😊 Luck

I think it was 5ml drops then 1ml drops when I got to about 15/20ml but I was on 65ml and this was almost 20 years ago

Wow. @Flower Fairy. (And everyone else) I've been on ORT for year s (since I was 22 and started going to the clinic for years)though a couple of years ago I slipped and redid H again. White China, Black Tar and this mighty powder that just made you feel like a God...

I have scioliosis (sic) Irrectracble OCD, hyper ventilation syndrome, EXTREME PHYSICAL anxiety and a Neurological disorder that causes too much Serotonin and other Excititory neurotransmitters in my body

Lucjily if you are buying in Grams we do not have fent dope in theae parts so that was never a problem

My logic is if the drop is small enough the brain will hardly notice and eventually reach a point where it’s hardly doing anything in the first place, that how I went about a sub taper but I think tapering is the same idea for all drugs just different doses...if 10mg drop is to much try 5 if that’s to much try 2.5 ect..I was worried about how long I would be on ORT but realized I’m doing it to stay off smack and if it takes a while who cares as long as it’s painless...haven’t taken a sub since I fucked up and took 6mg instead of my .5 and 2days ago and so far feel alright, but did take some phenibut which helped I think, good luck brother we’re in this together

Yes. Methadone is supposed to be 2.5mg-5mg at a time depending on dose. If your on 100mg+, drop 5mg. If your on 40mg, drop 2,5. If you are on a ridiculous dose like a quarter gram, you can actually drop 10mg at a time until you get under 150mg, though you will never be off unless you take a year or two and then switch to a weaker opioid.

A small enough drop and your body shall not notice

Good Luck to ya both 😊

Yes. Methadone is supposed to be 2.5mg-5mg at a time depending on dose. If your on 100mg+, drop 5mg. If your on 40mg, drop 2,5. If you are on a ridiculous dose like a quarter gram, you can actually drop 10mg at a time until you get under 150mg, though you will never be off unless you take a year or two and then switch to a weaker opioid.

A small enough drop and your body shall not notice

Good Luck to ya both 😊

I would think you could even drop by 1mg or .5 if you have to, if time isn’t a issue for you, shit drop .25 or .05 if you want to turtle it, even with methadone I think you prolly wouldn’t feel much even at 40mg

You won't feel up to 10%. 1 or 2 mg from your dose would take a long time.
Drop 10 and see if you feel it, i highly doubt you would