• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Flying with xanax and alcohol

elektrobank

Greenlighter
I have a severe fear of flying, so I take 1mg of Xanax when I fly. It has unpredictable results. Sometimes it makes it feel like time is flying by. A 5 hours flight feels like it passed in an hour, though I'm awake the whole time. This is the most desirable results. Then sometimes it knocks me out and I sleep most of the flight, and even the rest of the day when I get to the destination. And then other times it does nothing at all.

I'm considering taking a 10 hour flight if I can figure out a way to do it comfortably. I've never flown that long before because of how bad my flying anxiety is. I'm wondering the best way to cope? Take a higher dose from the start, or re-dose after a certain amount of time?

Others who have a fear of flying say they have a glass of wine with their Xanax on long flights and it knocks them right out. Is it relatively safe to have 1 drink with 1mg of xanax?

Or is there another drug I should look into?

I don't take any other drugs of any kind, so I'm probably a lot more cautions than most others.

Thanks.

1mg is a pretty hefty dose to mix with alcohol even for someone with exp
a glass even a few glasses of wine would be a better route
NEVER under estimate the results of mixing xanz with alcohol

Yes, it is relatively safe to have a single drink with a single dose of xanax. Just stick to one or the other though and I would recommend the xanax. If its perscribed to you take her on board see how you are and if ya still panicky take another. Considering that you are asking this, I am guessing you are not perscribed. So, Xanax doesn't last long, maybe 3 hours. If ya wake up half way through your gonna have a bad time. Try valium or a longer lasting benzo, itl work a lot better in the long run.

Yes, it is relatively safe to have a single drink with a single dose of xanax. Just stick to one or the other though and I would recommend the xanax. If its perscribed to you take her on board see how you are and if ya still panicky take another. Considering that you are asking this, I am guessing you are not perscribed. So, Xanax doesn't last long, maybe 3 hours. If ya wake up half way through your gonna have a bad time. Try valium or a longer lasting benzo, itl work a lot better in the long run.

3 hrs of relief with xanax? shit i wish that was the case for me
xanax will only give me an hr maybe 2 but thats pushing it, worth of relief
red wine even booze gives the same therapeutic effect but still gives you some wiggle room to calls it quits, opposed to mixing xanax with alcohol....where all bets are off

well, it seems as though he does not do it often, if at all. When I took my first xanax, I felt f'd up for long time......or maybe it just felt like a long time...hahaha but yeah at one point I was poppin two every couple hours or so. stupid ass drug if ya ask me, forgettin half your life, doin dumbass shit, sittin on your ass for months....good times good times

I remember once popping 10 mgs of diazepam in JFK airport and washing it down with a double of Jack Daniels at the airport bar. Wobbled on to my flight feeling grand, lol (I don't have a fear of flying but I do consider it to be an uncomfortable/stressful experience)

You should always be careful mixing tranquilizers and alcohol, though, that should go without saying.

It lasts longer than 3 hours for me, but it's really hit or miss. I don't take it often, probably once each way every 3 months or so. I don't feel total relief but it's better than nothing, and it's great when I am able to sleep. But on a long flight I want to make sure I have something that work more reliably. I'm not keen on combining with alcohol, but a lot of people who use it for flying suggested I try it. Are there any other meds that would help better? Or is there anything I can safely combine it with to knock me out?

Just be careful with the alcohol.
A bit of regrettable intoxicated behaviour (the like of which wouldnt even get you thrown out of most bars) can, in an aircraft, see you facing serious charges or get you thrown off the flight for unruly behaviour, etc.
Which can be expensive...and so on...so i'd personally recommend just sticking to xanax and redosing if you need it.

Last edited:
Of course ppl will say not to mix benzos with alcohol or any other CNS depressants.

But IMO one glass of wine and 1mg of xanax shouldn't be a problem. As in those are relatively small doses of both.