• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

fluoxetine bad effects

AtWar

Greenlighter
hi, I started to take 20mg fluoxetine daily, but after about 2 weeks some wierd shit happened to me, i developed like some sort of heart disease, heavy palpitations, swollen veins, chest discomfort. Now, i wont say i was totally healthy before, i always had kind of fast heartbeat and pre-diabetes or maybe diabetes because of bad alimentation. So, im really lost, could the fluoxetine alone can cause this side effects? i have read the side effects you can get but they dont look so extreme like this. If any of you have more experience in fluoxetine please help me because i really want to keep taking them, it made me feel so good and even kind of fixed my adhd. Maybe i just have to improve my health a little bit or is the fluoxetine alone really killing me? btw i am selfmedicating, i almost never go to the doctor.
Sorry i am from Peru excuse any wrong english.

right off the bat NEVER self medicate with a SSRI because things can happen, thats why its encouraged to be under doc supervision for exactly this reason in case you have questions
well prozac isnt gonna cure bad eating habits since you mention diabetes even without a SSRI diabetes can cause issues
and well SSRI's are tricky and well everyone responds differently
you can be exp the body adjustment of when the drug takes affect its usually involves: increased anxiety(dizzy spells, heart palps, insomnia, feeling like crawling out of your skin feeling
basically saying things CAN get a lot worse before you feel the therapeutic aspect of prozac 2 weeks isnt enough IMO/IME for it to start working it took over a month and a half before i felt any relief ...docs say give it about a month before you decide to stop taking it or not
and yes during the first 3 weeks were hellish for me but i had a benzo to help me until that period was over
since it can make things worse thats why alot of people discontinue use before they think its making them feel worse and actually its normal since your body starts adjusting to the med

i would strongly encourage going to a doc

dude i swear i started to feel really good after just 2 weeks but some days after that all these symptoms happened. Anyways i will go to a doctor to see if i have something because i really want to resume fluoxetine.

No... Your English is perfect. If the health care system works the same in Peru as it does in Mexico I fully understand just going to the pharmacy to fix yourself up. However, your talking about heart troubles and diabetes. If you have money go to the doctor over there tell them what you have bought at pharmacy and what health problems you are having or might be having. Other than what I have said I am happy the Prozac is working for you and hope everything works out for you.

why i say a SSRI is tricky its better to be monitored or atleast be able to call a doc when stuff like that happens
and its hard to tell whether it is in fact heart trouble/issues since anxiety/depression which im guessing is why you are taking prozac to begin with
can cause chest discomfort, heart palps and the famous "i'm having a heart attack" ask anyone with real deal anxiety they'll know what youre talking about

as stated it could be in fact that the med is catching up to your body hence the crazy anxiety
really up to you if you wanna keep taking it IMO i would get ahold of a benzo and see if that helps you out
if it doesnt IMO i would stop taking the prozac

could also be that the dose is to high some people need more some people need less
i started at 20mg myself and i had to go down to 10mg since i was exp crazy side effects and lowering the dose helped

have you checked your blood pressure? and your heart rate?

why i say a SSRI is tricky its better to be monitored or atleast be able to call a doc when stuff like that happens
and its hard to tell whether it is in fact heart trouble/issues since anxiety/depression which im guessing is why you are taking prozac to begin with
can cause chest discomfort, heart palps and the famous "i'm having a heart attack" ask anyone with real deal anxiety they'll know what youre talking about

as stated it could be in fact that the med is catching up to your body hence the crazy anxiety
really up to you if you wanna keep taking it IMO i would get ahold of a benzo and see if that helps you out

could also be that the dose is to high some people need more some people need less
i started at 20mg myself and i had to go down to 10mg since i was exp crazy side effects and lowering the dose helped

i hypothized prozac could help me at least a little with my ADHD which is really annoying, i had some anxiety years ago and never depression. I think you might be right maybe 20mg is too much for me since im very skinny(50kg). Anyways, this was really a silly question and almost impossible to answer, right now all wierd symptoms are gone. I started to control my blood glucose and stopped taking fluoxetine. What did all the mess? i guess ill never really know, body is too complex. In the future if doctors say im perfect ill try fluoxetine again to see what happens.
Thank all you good people for your help
smiley1.gif

i hypothized prozac could help me at least a little with my ADHD which is really annoying, i had some anxiety years ago and never depression. I think you might be right maybe 20mg is too much for me since im very skinny(50kg). Anyways, this was really a silly question and almost impossible to answer, right now all wierd symptoms are gone. I started to control my blood glucose and stopped taking fluoxetine. What did all the mess? i guess ill never really know, body is too complex. In the future if doctors say im perfect ill try fluoxetine again to see what happens.
Thank all you good people for your help
smiley1.gif

i am also 50kg haha
there is no solid answer why that happen to you but i exp similar what to what you stated but it went away and it worked great but i couldnt deal with the sexual side effects
ha
have you ever looked into the herbal route? not cannabis but herbs like st johns wort or kava kava for example? it can provide relief almost and i say almost as good as a SSRI with less of the crazy side effects
plenty of different options if you are still suffering
and feel free to post up im sure either myself or plenty of other people on here can answer your questions

This ^. Taking the Prozac alone can cause anxiety which is hard to differentiate from the symptoms you're describing. As has been mentioned the side effects quite often subside with time and you should be on something to help mask the anxiety while starting the Prozac. It be best to go somewhere (maybe the ER) where they can give you an ekg and do a cardio work up to rule out real heart problems. Plus if you're presenting with anxiety they may give you a benzo while you're there which will really help determine if anxiety is causing your symptoms. If having a benzo makes it go away then there's your answer. Maybe ask for a shot of Ativan as that is usually the ERs go to med for acute anxiety. Don't be too pushy though as you don't wanna come off as drug seeking.

Best of luck to you my friend. Mental illness sucks!